Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 02:21 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 02:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 685 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance
GMAT Date: 12-16-2011
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:Wharton Class of 2011
 Q48  V41
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72908 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 685 [0]
Send PM
Re: 1 Month to Go - Need 110+ Point Improvement! [#permalink]
Thanks for the replies. I have been reviewing since February on a pretty regular schedule so hopefully that will help. I have many of the concepts and problem types down, I am just focusing on speed and accuracy now.

Are my materials a little broad? Should I use more focus with limited time to go? I feel that I can get most of the concepts down from the OG and Manhattan SC, feel free to tell me otherwise.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:Wharton Class of 2011
 Q48  V41
Send PM
Your study material is a bit broad, but maybe it's your learning style. However, you should discard Economist - there is not enough time for that, and even in the long run they aren't of much help. Instead, get LSAT readings from RC1000 series and practice reading with them. I don't like Brutal SC, tried it but never really saw the point there. Other material on your list is a top notch, no doubt about it.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
The time you have is not enough to hit everything, so you should focus on the areas where you can improve the most and where you will have the best ROI.

My feeling is that your Quant score is still low to rely solely on Test Questions to beef up your score but with a limited time I am not sure what will be the best investment. Perhaps Manhattan Number Properties guide or indeed some formula sheets

For quant, most people have CR and RC as the hardest. RC is very hard to tame in a short amount of time.

You need to review your GMATPrep test and figure out which questions you missed the most and where you weaknesses lie. Also, figure out what are the easiest areas to improve.

Finally - see this post for some suggestions: 600-to-700-in-3-weeks-strategy-tips-please-79141.html
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I have edited my original post after some of your comments to get to a more manageable list of things to do in the last month. My weakest verbal areas are SC and then RC, according to the GMATPrep test I took. I have listed the materials above in order of importance. Is it better to start at the bottom of the list and move toward the top (as I may retain more closest to the test date - which is where the most important materials will be)?

Any other comments on things I may want to change or rearrange? Does anyone else disagree with using the Brutal SC questions? If so, what other questions should I use to practice SC, or are the OG and GMATClub Forums sufficient?
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
You are armed to the teeth with questions - I don't think you are lacking anything or can make a wrong choice.

If you are not a native speaker - take a look at Kaplan Verbal Foundations (read my review on Amazon) - it has been published about a week ago - I was pleasantly surprised with the grammar covered in it and I would say it is one of the best GMAT grammar books for international students (of course if you have a different opinion - would great to hear it here).
That book has plenty of exercises, but if your level is advanced, then you may go through in a few hours

There is also this document - which is for OG 11th edition or 10th (not 12th which is the current) but if you have that book, it would be helpful to do target practice rather than dispersed. topical-and-difficulty-guide-to-the-official-guide-79500.html
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I have 3 weeks left till the postponed exam. Can someone please critique my plan to get to the 700s from 640? The materials and my progress so far are in the first post. Thanks.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
I3igDmsu wrote:
I have 3 weeks left till the postponed exam. Can someone please critique my plan to get to the 700s from 640? The materials and my progress so far are in the first post. Thanks.

Didn't we do that already? What has changed since? I can't see anything new in your original post.... :?
Can you be more specific perhaps?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I wasnt sure if improving from 590 to 640 was different than 640 to 700. I changed a few of the materials from last time (I added OG12; Equations, Ineq & VICs book; 1000SC; and MGMAT CR book. I took out MGMAT flashcards and Brutal SC.)

My 3 week plan is to finish both the E,Q,VICs and CR books in the next 1.5 weeks and then do timed practice questions everyday in sets of 37 & 41 for the 1.5 weeks, as well as going over my wrong answers on OG's and CATS. I will also be doing 4 more full practice exams (2 per weekend). Is this a good plan? Thoughts?

Looking at my CAT breakdowns, should I focus more time on V than Q for these last few weeks?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Well my last few test scores have been consistent nonetheless around 630 to 640 (well except for the 580 - not sure what happened here). I have two weeks until I sit for the test. My target is 700 which seems far away, I feel like I haven't improved much over the last few weeks and my test follows the same logic. Over the last 3 weeks I have been doing practice problems and went over the MGMAT VICs book and MGMAT CR book. These last 2 weeks are crucial for me to improve. I am thinking I should do practice sets of 37 & 41 Q's everyday, 2 more CATs, and go over wrong answers.

Anyone else have any thoughts?
Should I focus more on Q or V, given the breakdowns above?
I am a native speaker also and hopefully reviewing the MGMAT CR book in the last few days will help me improve in that area.
GMAT Club Bot