Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 10:50 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 10:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1825 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools:Fuqua
 Q49  V29
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [1]
Given Kudos: 62
Schools:Cornell University - The Johnson School
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4620 [0]
Given Kudos: 99
Send PM
Re: i want to go from 25 to 40 in verbal???......How how how.... [#permalink]
Franklin,

I totally agree with you. thanks for the pointers.

Franklin wrote:

You need to identify your weak areas because if you're just doing what I call "volume practicing" you may be reinforcing mistakes. You want quality practice. Reminds me of a story ... I was a QB in college and I remember how my coach had to correct my release point. It took a long time because I had practiced throwing the ball a certain way (an incorrect way) and kept reinforcing the error. Correcting my throwing motion was a long painful process. So before you start hammering away at questions you need to determine what is your weakest section in the verbal? Then you should look up the rules and know them ... then practice questions that test those rules.

For example, I tend to miss idiom questions in SC, and certain assumption questions. I know this about myself and I practice those question types.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72924 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
jaxtor wrote:
what is the magic to move from 25 to 40 in verbal guys....please advise

i used
0G 12
POWERSCORE CR BIBLE
MANHATTAN SC

WHAT else is required

what is the key

what is the magic

Best,
Jaxtor

Jaxtor, not sure if you are a non-native speaker, but if you are, it is tougher and requires a whole lot more of prep.
One thing I learnt is that if I am weak in English, it does not matter what books I use - I won't score high on the GMAT, so I had to get my English up first to be able to deal with the verbal section. Again, not sure if this applies here, but just some thoughts.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
Thankyou for your kind words...

BB i am from India and pretty much good with verbal part of English...i am not boasting but this is a fact...

my problem is that i am working under illusion when taking verbal part....i feel i m doing good but the score comes the other way round and trust me timing is not a problem with me on verbal part....

actually took a GMAT and scored 25 in verbal although quant was 48....so my only challenge is verbal....i followed all the relevant study materila religiously but stilll.................

Please advise...

Best,
Jaxtor
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Feeling like you are doing well in verbal and actually doing well are totally different things. If you were to ask any person on the street in the US if they spoke English well, they would say yes. If you gave them the verbal section of the GMAT and scored the results, most would likely be do a sub par job. Do they speak English - yes. Do they think they speak English well - of course. Based on the results, do they have a strong command of grammar - not likely.

Every person on here that has experience with the GMAT and that has a decent command of the English language probably thought that English would be a breeze at the beginning of the test. My advice - Look at the questions you miss. You are likely to start noticing small things you didnt really comprehend before.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Hey! How's everything going?
I'm studying for verbal too. Let's help each other.
Have you known what part is your weakness?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 605 [0]
Concentration: Real Estate
Schools:Anderson FEMBA
 Q48  V38
Send PM
I was able to increase my verbal from 29 to 40.

For me the key was RC.

I was able to determine that SC was not my weakness (but definitely an easy area to make improvements). By looking at multiple sources, I was able to see that I had a good approach and that I was able to get 90% of my SCs correct.

CR is almost mathematical in approach. You have given info, you are asked a specific question relating to the given info, and then you answer using nothing more than the given info.

RC for me was the killer. Once I figured out Rhyme's approach (and focused on the fact that ALL of the answers are staring at you the entire time), I was able to see dramatic improvements in my verbal score.

However, like everyone else has said, you need to determine which area is your particular weakness.

Hope that helps somewhat.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37321 posts