Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 11:38 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 11:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Harvard Business School, Stanford
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 296 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: 750 but low quant - retake? [#permalink]
great score.. Congrats..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I am in a similar situation:
Q: 44 (69th percentile)
V: 50 (99th percentile)

I was doing slightly better on the Q section in practice tests, although I never felt like I mastered some of the math, and could probably improve with more studying. That being said, I'm not sure I could repeat the 50 in verbal if I took it again. I am currently an analyst at a hedge fund, so I feel like my quantitative skills are pretty good, but I was a history major in college with limited coursework in quant subjects (pretty good grades in the quant classes though). Although I was happy with my score, I'm now nervous that my Q is to low. My top choices and Columbia and NYU. Any thoughts?
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
jallenmorris wrote:
Retake from a 750? Are you insane?

Consider this: Last year Stanford dinged every single perfect score applicant that applied. What's the significance? Stanford doesn't care about score. If I were on the panel, I might vote to ding every single one just to make a statement: NO SCORE IS AN AUTOMATIC ADMIT.

If you retake, what message will you be sending admissions committees? You got a 750 first time around, 98% percentile. Meaning that you beat out all but 2% of the entire population ever to take the GMAT ("ever to take" works in theory). The AdCom will see your 750 first time take and then a retake that, if you improve is somewhere between 760 and 800. The 800 of course places you in a group of perfectionist, which would be reinforced by looking at your testing history and the adcoms will see First Attemp: 750, Second Attempt: 800. Schools don't want someone that is perfect, they want people that will be good classmates and strive for perfection while realizing that perfection is rarely achieved. There is always a ROI. You might write a 98% perfect paper and it takes you 6 hours to write it. Then to improve that paper from 98% perfect to 100% perfect takes you another 20 hours. Honestly, is this extra 20 hours worth the 2%? What was the return on your 20 hour investment? 0.1% per hour?

It's your decision, but my advice is to not ever take the GMAT again (as long as you apply within 5 years) because you will be sending the wrong message to the b-school adcoms. That message is that you are more interested in perfection that utility. Schools need someone that can someday go manage a company, not just take tests to perfection. No one gets 100% correct in a business environemnt for which you're being prepared during b-school.

great advice
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
750 but low quant - retake? [#permalink]
Oh look, another top 3 consulting, 3.6GPA, 95+ GMAT species.

Yes, for all those in a similar quandary, retake the test. Its pretty clear you won't be satisfied with anything
Less than a Q51. So by all means please retake the test.

Meanwhile I'll also try to bring my Q43 to a Q50. By then two trump administrations and McDonald's healthy menu will be equally successful.
GMAT Club Bot
750 but low quant - retake? [#permalink]
   1   2 
Moderator:
Founder
37319 posts