Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 09:58 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 09:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
GMAT Date: 07-17-2015
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
Re: English student wants PHd in Finance [#permalink]
A few questions -- Why do you want to make a lifelong commitment to finance if you have no experience in the field? Can you see yourself researching and writing articles about finance for academic journals quite frequently over the next few decades? Do you want to get a PhD because you want to be in academia or because you want to get a job in finance? If it's the former, I personally would get another undergrad degree in finance or accounting and then join a renown PhD program. If it's the latter, I'd hunt for internships, unpaid if necessary, to build up experience in the field (this is ridiculously hard because why would a firm employ someone with no quant background? but quite possible) and then get an MBA.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[quote="sharshar84"]A few questions -- Why do you want to make a lifelong commitment to finance if you have no experience in the field? Can you see yourself researching and writing articles about finance for academic journals quite frequently over the next few decades? Do you want to get a PhD because you want to be in academia or because you want to get a job in finance?

SharShar84,
I would like to get a PHd because I have always enjoyed teaching and working with intellectuals. I didn't major in a business field,but believe that pursing a more practical degree is necessary.I have an academic degree with little demand and application in the real world. I've considered graduate work in Literature, but would much rather devote my time and studies to something that will reap better financial benefits (and be in demand). As a single woman, I would like to be able to support myself. I want to study finance because it is the most lucrative of the fields and teaching is something that I would thoroughly enjoy (and No, I certainly don't want to teach high-schoolers).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ButterMaker,

Thank you for your helpful response. I certainly do not feel discouraged,but respect your honesty.

Question:
I am unable to leave the country due to limited financial resources. Do you think attending an instate school for a second undergrad degree in finance would be a wise decision and then applying to the Phd program? I think that if I perform well in this program that may increase my chances at getting into a rather decent program, maybe not top 10? I really plan to be a rockstar this time around :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you all so very much for your helpful responses! I really appreciate hearing all of your opinions and advice. :) --Mariposa
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
GMAT Date: 07-17-2015
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
mariposa wrote:
sharshar84 wrote:
A few questions -- Why do you want to make a lifelong commitment to finance if you have no experience in the field? Can you see yourself researching and writing articles about finance for academic journals quite frequently over the next few decades? Do you want to get a PhD because you want to be in academia or because you want to get a job in finance?

SharShar84,
I would like to get a PHd because I have always enjoyed teaching and working with intellectuals. I didn't major in a business field,but believe that pursing a more practical degree is necessary.I have an academic degree with little demand and application in the real world. I've considered graduate work in Literature, but would much rather devote my time and studies to something that will reap better financial benefits (and be in demand). As a single woman, I would like to be able to support myself. I want to study finance because it is the most lucrative of the fields and teaching is something that I would thoroughly enjoy (and No, I certainly don't want to teach high-schoolers).

Then you should consider getting another undergrad degree in econ/fin and graduate with a stellar GPA. It will give you all the background knowledge you need for graduate work and you'll also be able to decide if you want to make an academic career out of it (although you can also figure this out by talking to finance/econ professors). You mentioned you enjoy teaching and working with intellectuals...there's a huge, huge, huge difference between the "intellectuals" you'll meet in quant-related fields, and the "intellectuals" you've met throughout your time studying literature. Finding a well paying academic position after you obtain your PhD in Econ 6-8 years from now would also be a challenge. If/when you do get a position at a university, you'll have to spend your life publishing or perishing to maintain that position and get tenure. You'll also be competing against younger, better-published PhD's who've been focused on their quant-related fields since high school. Honestly, if you want to support yourself, getting a job (and building up experience for an MBA) seems more practical than investing so much money and time (we're taking 5+ years here) in a subject you'll most likely hate.

If you want an intellectually challenging workplace, you could also look into consulting. Where do you live? If you live in a developing country, you could look for consultancy jobs in NGO's that would value the skills you earned while studying literature (i.e. research skills, thinking out of the box, etc).

If you truly enjoy literature though, you should stick to it. You'll get to work with intellectuals, research topics you actually enjoy, publish stuff you're actually passionate about, and make money while doing it. If you're passionate about something, you'll obviously do well in it. If you do well in something, you'll obviously make the money you deserve.

ps-- PhD's usually don't teach high schoolers :P
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Board of Directors
4391 posts