Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 10:25 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 10:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Kellogg, London Business School, Darden, Cornell
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:LBS (Waitlisted)
Send PM
Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink]
Hello,
I am seriously considering applying to LBS for R2 and I would have a couple questions to submit to you guys.
First, do you know how the number of years of work experience is computed ? I ask because I did multiple full time internships in the past (3months, 3months, 12months, 7months) and I was wondering whether this will be taken into account or not.
Second, as a rule of thumb, what do you guys think of applying to one single school and let the Adcom know about it ? Would it be seen as an unwise/stupid move or a token of determination (provided one has solid reasons to focus on one unique school) ?
Thanks for your feedback.
In case you didn't know, there are a couple cool videos of LBS on youtube (called MBA TV).
A
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Hi bouh22 generally internships are not counted towards work experience. A 12 month internship however, is quite rare. So I am not sure about how the school would view this. Perhaps email the program office about this. LBS ad-coms like students who show a good 'fit' to the school. You might mention that LBS is the only school you are applying to, however, you should not assume that that will be your single biggest differentiator. You will still need to show that you have done your research about your school. Hope this helps.

bouh22 wrote:
Hello,
I am seriously considering applying to LBS for R2 and I would have a couple questions to submit to you guys.
First, do you know how the number of years of work experience is computed ? I ask because I did multiple full time internships in the past (3months, 3months, 12months, 7months) and I was wondering whether this will be taken into account or not.
Second, as a rule of thumb, what do you guys think of applying to one single school and let the Adcom know about it ? Would it be seen as an unwise/stupid move or a token of determination (provided one has solid reasons to focus on one unique school) ?
Thanks for your feedback.
In case you didn't know, there are a couple cool videos of LBS on youtube (called MBA TV).
A
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for sharing your thoughts !
I have these internships (total about 2 years WE) and by Sep10 I would have 4 years full time employment as well. Considering average WE at LBS seems to be 5.5 years, I am wondering whether to apply for the next intake or wait an additional year on the MBA sideline so to speak.
Do you think having an additional year of WE would make a big difference or at this point I am better off applying now and see what happens.
Thks again.
A
SVP
SVP
Send PM
You may try, but here, the average age and work experiences here are definitely on the "high" side. In some cases I have known people to be asked to work for another year and then reapply. I suppose it is all to do with the other applicants and whether they see you as a good fit in the class mix.

bouh22 wrote:
Thanks for sharing your thoughts !
I have these internships (total about 2 years WE) and by Sep10 I would have 4 years full time employment as well. Considering average WE at LBS seems to be 5.5 years, I am wondering whether to apply for the next intake or wait an additional year on the MBA sideline so to speak.
Do you think having an additional year of WE would make a big difference or at this point I am better off applying now and see what happens.
Thks again.
A
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks, that's what I thought. I might have to sit on the bench a little longer... but for now, happy halloween guys :D
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:LBS '11
Send PM
McNerdy wrote:
Hello!

I'm a newbie to this thread, but I just read through the ENTIRE LBS 2009 thread today and am very inspired to join this community. Bsd_lover, it's such an encouragement to read your whole story as I begin the b-school application process. I submitted in R1 last week and am just keeping all fingers, toes, and limbs crossed. Prashok, hello from CA! I am from Norcal =). I hope to someday join you all in London!

Mcnerdy

Welcome McNerdy! Lots of NorCal representation this year in our class -- the SF summer meet-ups were just as big as the ones in NYC, so you'll be right at home here! Keep us updated on your application...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Schools:LBS '11
Send PM
ankit1456 wrote:
1) do lbs conduct any pre mba-international program( around 3weeks--) and analytics(2 weeks) like it happens in hbs ?

As bsd mentioned, the pre-program consists of a few introductory classes from September to October. In August though, there's also an English refresher course for non-native speakers needing language practice (this is assigned by the programme office), and if you are planning to take a second language (for the foreign-language exit requirement), you can also take some "taster" courses in French, Japanese, etc. around the same time.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CA
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg
Send PM
Hi Guys

I am a Chartered Accountant from NZ (New Zealand), and appreciate the guidance you guys are providing on this forum.

I will be applying in Round 3.

I am a Chartered Accountant and also pursuing Masters of Taxation which i am hoping to finish in June 2010.

I work as senior tax consultant in a mid-tier CA firm, need guidance from you. I have almost 4 years experience. I have decent grades in my undergrad (B+ average).

Just want to know how LBS looks at the candidates from Oceania especially NZ.

Thx
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Welcome to the forum ankurb. Oceania (Australia and New Zealand) is widely represented. Much more so than in American schools. Unfortunately this year there is only one New Zealand citizen, but last year there were 2 or 3. Overall the Oceania representation is at least 20 in a class of 400 (5%). A significant number considering the population size of the region. Make sure your work experiences are strong and interesting and that you have done your research on LBS.

ankurb wrote:
Hi Guys

I am a Chartered Accountant from NZ (New Zealand), and appreciate the guidance you guys are providing on this forum.

I am a Chartered Accountant and also pursuing Masters of Taxation which i am hoping to finish in June 2010.

I work as senior tax consultant in a mid-tier CA firm, need guidance from you. I have almost 4 years experience. I have decent grades in my undergrad (B+ average).

Thx
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi BSD
Thanks a lot for tour feedback, highly appreciated!!!!
As far as my experience is concerned, I worked as Finance consultant for couple of years and then moved to a Chartered Accountant firm. I am involved in tax consulting for past 2 years. I am also involved in liquidation and business advisory.
I started my own tax consulting practise which is a self sustained business unit now.
I came to know from some other forum about your ride to LBS which is truly thrilling and we all appreciate the guidance you are providing to all of us.
I am applying in H/S/W, Insead and LBS. Would you like to give me some guidance. I am 26 years old and my GMAT score is 720.

Cheers

bsd_lover wrote:
Welcome to the forum ankurb. Oceania (Australia and New Zealand) is widely represented. Much more so than in American schools. Unfortunately this year there is only one New Zealand citizen, but last year there were 2 or 3. Overall the Oceania representation is at least 20 in a class of 400 (5%). A significant number considering the population size of the region. Make sure your work experiences are strong and interesting and that you have done your research on LBS.

ankurb wrote:
Hi Guys

Thx
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Hi ankurb feel free to ask any questions on this thread. Unfortunately due to the heavy workload of term 1, I will have to limit my help to answering specific questions about the school etc. From what you have posted, your work experiences sound interesting. Weave an interesting story around them and link them well with your aims and you are well on your way.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
How do LBS convert NZ GPA to UK standards? I also heard from another forum that Eurpoean schools are not so much fussy about GPA and GMAT score compare to US. Any comments?

What are the critical factors for admission in LBS and Insead?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
ankurb wrote:
How do LBS convert NZ GPA to UK standards? I also heard from another forum that Eurpoean schools are not so much fussy about GPA and GMAT score compare to US. Any comments?

I'm sure LBS admissions is familiar with GPAs from around the world. I wouldn't worry about that :-).

As to GMAT/GPA, that probably depends on which schools you mean. Fact is that European programs have lower GMAT averages than US schools, mainly because American students are better trained at taking standardized tests and English is their native tongue. This gives them an advantage.

As to critical factors for admission, maybe start with the LBS website:
https://www.london.edu/programmes/mba/applying.html
Click on "Skills and experience"

Go to the INSEAD page and have a look for the same criteria.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks Tmino

That explain why European schools have lower GMAT average.

Any idea where how selective are European schools for MBA candidates in comparison to US schools. I know that H/S/W have admit % of 10-12%. Any idea on the admit % for LBS and Insead?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
Hi bsd_lover,

I am a round 1 applicant.
I have 2 doubts.

1. The interview deadline is mentioned as 6th November. Will it be 5pm London time?
2. I checked my application today. The status shows as submitted. But i am able to edit the pages!! Is this a general application portal problem? (After submitting the application, till date, i have received only the application submission mail on the day of submission. After that no status changes)

Thanks
SVP
SVP
Send PM
I have a New Zealand degree. There were no dramas converting it. 90% of class is international so they are pretty aware of grading systems around the world.

Key admissions criteria (just judging by the folks around me):
- Interesting work experiences
- Very international / world savvy
- Personality fit (everyone here seems laid back and friendly)

ankurb wrote:

Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi BSD
That’s nice to hear that I have NZ accompany on this forum and someone who is already in LBS.
How was your experience buddy? Would you like to share your pre- MBA profile?
I assume that being from a small and developed economy like NZ, you would have some criterions’ to differentiate your candidacy. How did you approach to this?
I would like to hear more from you.

Cheers
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  8   9   10   11   12   13   14  ...  66   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts