Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 04:25 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 04:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1693 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2326 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: IT Consultancy
 Q50  V38
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Knewton GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: AWA, Personal Statements, Sentence Correction
Schools:BA Amherst College, MFA Brooklyn College
Send PM
Re: Can some one plzz help!! [#permalink]
One thing that you might want to work on, oddly enough, are the easy questions. Are you spending too much time on them? The questions that you need to answer correctly in order to break the 45 mark on the quant section are going to be difficult, even for people who are math whizzes. They will take a lot of time. Try timing yourself on a set of easier questions that you have not seen before, and observe what your average time per question is. Then, as best as you can, REMEMBER the path of your thoughts while you were doing these questions. Were you always on point? Did your thoughts drift? Even if you can reduce your time per question on the first half of the test an average of just 7 seconds per question, you will gain roughly 17 × 7 = 119 extra seconds for the later questions on the test. If you're averaging 2 minutes per question (as you should be doing), 119 seconds translates into one more question answered correctly. One more question answered correctly WILL raise your score, especially if it is one of the challenging questions that you get at the end.

Cheers,
Josh@Knewton
Manager
Manager
Send PM
JoshKnewton wrote:
One thing that you might want to work on, oddly enough, are the easy questions. Are you spending too much time on them? The questions that you need to answer correctly in order to break the 45 mark on the quant section are going to be difficult, even for people who are math whizzes. They will take a lot of time. Try timing yourself on a set of easier questions that you have not seen before, and observe what your average time per question is. Then, as best as you can, REMEMBER the path of your thoughts while you were doing these questions. Were you always on point? Did your thoughts drift? Even if you can reduce your time per question on the first half of the test an average of just 7 seconds per question, you will gain roughly 17 × 7 = 119 extra seconds for the later questions on the test. If you're averaging 2 minutes per question (as you should be doing), 119 seconds translates into one more question answered correctly. One more question answered correctly WILL raise your score, especially if it is one of the challenging questions that you get at the end.

Cheers,
Josh@Knewton

Yea I think you are right i actually start very slow cross checking answers for even simpler questions.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1485 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
 Q50  V40
Send PM
gurpreet07 wrote:
Hi

I have been preparing for GMAT for last 1 month though i have given the gmat before but couldn't score high, anyways thats an different issue. My problem now is that I am consistently hitting the 45 mark in Quant section in gmat prep.
Can someone or the GMAT gurus suggest me how to increase the Quant score from 45 to 50+.

I am clear with all the concepts but identified few areas that have troubled me in the past
i.e coordinate geometry, probabilty(though i am not too bad at it) and sometimes absolute values.

I also tend to do lot of silly mistakes.
Materials I have used till now..
OG 10
OG11
OG 12
Kaplan premier
Kaplan 800 (still to attempt the book)
GMAT Prep

I don't find kaplan CAT's usefull since maths is way too easy and is for sure unrepresentative of the type of questions which we get in the real gmat or gmat prep.

Waiting for a quick and early response
Thanksss.....

what are your percentages of correct answers in the OG? do you know average time per question? Do you have trouble with a particular type of problem?

I agree that Kaplan problems are easier than the ones on GMATPrep. If you have enough time till your next exam MGMAT materials are pretty good for quant. Their problems are tougher than those in GMAT prep and the explanations are good.

The GMAT club challenges are also a really good resource. The problems and the explanations are very good too.

Good luck on your studying.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mikeCoolBoy wrote:
gurpreet07 wrote:
Hi

I have been preparing for GMAT for last 1 month though i have given the gmat before but couldn't score high, anyways thats an different issue. My problem now is that I am consistently hitting the 45 mark in Quant section in gmat prep.
Can someone or the GMAT gurus suggest me how to increase the Quant score from 45 to 50+.

I am clear with all the concepts but identified few areas that have troubled me in the past
i.e coordinate geometry, probabilty(though i am not too bad at it) and sometimes absolute values.

I also tend to do lot of silly mistakes.
Materials I have used till now..
OG 10
OG11
OG 12
Kaplan premier
Kaplan 800 (still to attempt the book)
GMAT Prep

I don't find kaplan CAT's usefull since maths is way too easy and is for sure unrepresentative of the type of questions which we get in the real gmat or gmat prep.

Waiting for a quick and early response
Thanksss.....

what are your percentages of correct answers in the OG? do you know average time per question? Do you have trouble with a particular type of problem?

I agree that Kaplan problems are easier than the ones on GMATPrep. If you have enough time till your next exam MGMAT materials are pretty good for quant. Their problems are tougher than those in GMAT prep and the explanations are good.

The GMAT club challenges are also a really good resource. The problems and the explanations are very good too.

Good luck on your studying.

Thank you Mike..for the response..For OG maths problem my hit rate is 90%.
yes for some questions i do exceed the time limit, i mean generaly 3 mins, but other problems are solved in one half or 2 mins max.
I have found out one more issue with myself if i am not able to get the answer within let say 2.5 or even 3 mins.
my ego comes in between and i tend to waste time on that specific question, thus hurting myself in later questions. :(

I think i have to learn some educated guessing techniques..
Director
Director
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Hi gurpreet07, timing is very very important in both verbal and quant. If by the end of the test you are generally left with little time and have to guess a few question, it would surely impact your score.

I would suggest you to practice few tests in the timed env. In my case I used to keep the following scale with me:
Time left-Questions done
75mins - 0
60mins - 8
40mins - 16
20mins - 26
10mins - 32
00mins - 37

During the exam, I used my time-scale to periodically check how much I was lagging behind. For example, when 40 mins left, I should have already attempted 16 quant questions. I have kept less time for first few questions, i.e. 8 questions in 1st 15 mins since initial questions in quant are lot easier. The next 10-15 questions are generally time consuming.

If I was lagging behind by just 1-2 questions I tried to speed up the things, and guess 2-3 questions (if required) randomly in the last 20 mins. But this guess-work was also scattered instead of panicking in the end and concentrating all the guesses in the last few questions.

One more tip, try to nail some of the most difficult questions which GMAT will start throwing after around 15 mins. This will shoot your score. But again towards the end you'll start getting easier questions.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bigoyal wrote:
Hi gurpreet07, timing is very very important in both verbal and quant. If by the end of the test you are generally left with little time and have to guess a few question, it would surely impact your score.

I would suggest you to practice few tests in the timed env. In my case I used to keep the following scale with me:
Time left-Questions done
75mins - 0
60mins - 8
40mins - 16
20mins - 26
10mins - 32
00mins - 37

During the exam, I used my time-scale to periodically check how much I was lagging behind. For example, when 40 mins left, I should have already attempted 16 quant questions. I have kept less time for first few questions, i.e. 8 questions in 1st 15 mins since initial questions in quant are lot easier. The next 10-15 questions are generally time consuming.

If I was lagging behind by just 1-2 questions I tried to speed up the things, and guess 2-3 questions (if required) randomly in the last 20 mins. But this guess-work was also scattered instead of panicking in the end and concentrating all the guesses in the last few questions.

One more tip, try to nail some of the most difficult questions which GMAT will start throwing after around 15 mins. This will shoot your score. But again towards the end you'll start getting easier questions.

Point noted down sirrr.. :)
I will be attemptinng full length test from next week..
Do you suggest going thru all the theory part again....

Because I think i have already done OG 3 times...most of the questions have been hard wired into my brain.
I just remember the answer with the right ssolution obviously.
Director
Director
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Don't go through the whole theory part again. Just concentrate on your weak areas. You can get a OG Quant supplement for extra practice.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bigoyal wrote:
Don't go through the whole theory part again. Just concentrate on your weak areas. You can get a OG Quant supplement for extra practice.

Do we have MGMAT materials available in india..
that too in new delhi...
Director
Director
 Q50  V38
Send PM
gurpreet07 wrote:
bigoyal wrote:

that too in new delhi...

Have you been to Nai Sadak in Old Delhi. You'll find all the MGMAT books and that also at very cheap price.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bigoyal wrote:
gurpreet07 wrote:
bigoyal wrote:

that too in new delhi...

Have you been to Nai Sadak in Old Delhi. You'll find all the MGMAT books and that also at very cheap price.

Oh I have been there but never searched for Manhattan books
by the way thanks.
I will definitely get my copy.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1041 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Hey gurpreet. I was sitting around mid 40's and now can consistently score around 47-49 in my practice tests. The keys for me were:

1) Eliminate silly errors especially by identify traps
2) Go through error log - specifically redo questions, don't just read them.
3) GMATClub Challenges have a LOT of traps and tricks that you can learn. Utilise them.

All the best
Manager
Manager
Send PM
yangsta8 wrote:
Hey gurpreet. I was sitting around mid 40's and now can consistently score around 47-49 in my practice tests. The keys for me were:

1) Eliminate silly errors especially by identify traps
2) Go through error log - specifically redo questions, don't just read them.
3) GMATClub Challenges have a LOT of traps and tricks that you can learn. Utilise them.

All the best

Thanku yangsta for suggestion.
yes i will definitely use the error log and the club challenges which i haven't done before.
my exam date is 25th dec. would try to complete everything before the D-Day.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
Hello Biigoyal ,

"One more tip, try to nail some of the most difficult questions which GMAT will start throwing after around 15 mins. This will shoot your score. But again towards the end you'll start getting easier questions."

So if we are getting the tough questions correct ( which as you say are around the 15 minute marker ) then towards the end we will see easier questions ?

i thought the test will throw you harder questions if you are getting questions right

thanks,
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4078 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Name: Ronak Amin
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Hi Klusener,
Best strategy is to keep yourself calm...dont assume anything about the difficulty of the questions..just take it one by one..give it your best try..not more than 2.5 minutes...its worthless to worry about the difficulty of questions :)
Good luck with your preps.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Economist wrote:
Hi Klusener,
Best strategy is to keep yourself calm...dont assume anything about the difficulty of the questions..just take it one by one..give it your best try..not more than 2.5 minutes...its worthless to worry about the difficulty of questions :)
Good luck with your preps.

Yes rightly said by economist..
even if we do worry, we can't predict the difficulty level of that questions
may be according to us a question would be 600 level but according to GMAT it might be above that level
it all depends upon once ability and way to think analyticaly.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
thanks guys , the advice is sound .
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37320 posts