Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 01:45 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 01:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: USMC
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools:Darden '12
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:HBS/KSG Class of 2014 (deferring)
GPA: 3.66
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Operations
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink]
GrantChap wrote:
Thanks guys. I slightly disagree that I am "competitive" for a top 15, but you have made some valid points that I will take into consideration. I think if my GPA was maybe .3 points higher at 3.2 and my GMAT maybe a 700-710 (which irritates me because I never scored lower than 750 on a practice test). Im having a hard time accepting not applying as that would push off school another 1.5 years and I would be getting into old man territory then. At that point I would also be nearly 3 years out of the Army and it starts to lose its impact.

Has anyone had or heard of any experiences with re-application? Im not accepting defeat, but I am honest with myself about the statistics.If I had to, Im sure I could raise my GMAT 10-20 points, take a Business class and get an A, and get more community involvement. Just thinking aloud (or on a message board) and hoping to get some opinions.

Thanks

GrantChap,

I think its great that you are not selling yourself short, and are applying to long shot schools. I would just recommend that you make sure to put your full effort into those as well, and maybe write the applications after your first couple.

By all means, I am no expert and have not even taken the GMAT yet, but from what I have read you get into a rhythm after your first couple applications.

And besides, you are a qualified, proven leader. If you check out the stats of some of the applicants that have gotten into the top 15 schools, you can't really predict who they will pick based simply on statistics. I am sure they will view your military experience favorably. Good luck.

Oorah,
Rmdreyling
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3
Send PM
Greetings Warriors. Great thread.

I am a Marine about to leave active duty. I am waiting to hear from Tuck and got accepted into Olin. I am also considering applying to Darden in Round 3. Tuck is my first choice and will certainly go if accepted. But, as you know: every day is a holiday; every meal is a feast...will make the most of any of these fine American institutions.

S-6, good on ya for HBS. Lakai, congrats on the interview...

Good luck to you all.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Greetings to all,

I just found this board and, like many of you, am waiting anxiously for the results of my applications. I'm a Marine officer (infantry captain; former platoon commander in Afghanistan & Iraq) who will have 7 yrs of active duty by this fall, when I'm hoping to start grad school. I've applied to the joint HBS/HKS program, as well as Sloan, GTown MSFS, and Tufts Fletcher.

Glad to see that there are so many veterans out there seeking to continue serving after going to top-notch schools. Hopefully, I'll be meeting some of you this fall if all works out with school. Good luck to everyone! D-2 and counting until HBS notification...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Lakai777,

Just wanted to touch base and say I also applied to London Business School Rd 2 and will be interviewing. I am Navy Enlisted with almost 6 years service. I applied rd 1 Wharton and got dinged after interview. I also applied to Tuck rd 2 and interviewed early on in November when I visited schools. Still waiting on that response.

Any information on the GI Bill over in London?

JGerard
Manager
Manager
Send PM
hey congrats brother. the london invite was a surprise as my background didn't seem international "friendly".

hope you poke your head around here often. the guys here are supportive and a wealth of knowledge. plus the more enlisted folks here the better. keeps these officers on their toes. :wink:

with GI Bill, i'm not sure if it'll work. i think its a safe bet to rule out the yellow ribbon program as well.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:HBS (admit), MIT (admit)
Send PM
Applied R1 to HBS and was dinged after the interview. I managed to put together a R2 app to GSB but so far the inbox has been quiet from Stanford.

Originally posted by CarpathianRidge on 11 Feb 2010, 21:41.
Last edited by CarpathianRidge on 13 Dec 2010, 23:52, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
CarpathianRidge wrote:
Here's the hard part. Do I call Stanford and pull myself out of the running for R2? Or, if I'm lucky enough to get an interview invite from GSB, do I let them know during the interview? I'd love to get an offer for admission and then try to defer to next year but I believe I should be upfront and honest with them. At the same time I don't want to negate an application I traded two weeks of leave to complete. Any advice?

I'd wait and see if you got an invite to an interview and then be up front with them. Beyond the ethics of not revealing you're taking off to play in the sand again (or mtns in this case), I think if they find out that you've been hiding the fact you knew you couldn't matriculate, they won't grant you a deferral and if you reapplied, would ding you because of your past questionable ethics. So i'd wait it out, tell them if you get an interview, and if not, then no sweat, go out, rock and roll, reapply, and come back and tell them what a badass you are and how you've grown, and why you deserve to get in.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
No invite from HBS.

Congrats to RonMexico for his. Good luck brother!

I blame my out of the box recommenders. High risk, High Rewards. Unfortunately, the recommendations that I got to see too late, ended up being pretty subpar. Oh well.

Good luck all.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
lakai777 wrote:
No invite from HBS.

Congrats to RonMexico for his. Good luck brother!

I blame my out of the box recommenders. High risk, High Rewards. Unfortunately, the recommendations that I got to see too late, ended up being pretty subpar. Oh well.

Good luck all.

Hey man, sorry to hear about that. I am wondering if the same thing happened to my Stanford and Wharton apps - I spread the love with my recs and had someone who I'm not sure knew what they were doing did recs for those two schools. We will see what happens, but I did get an HBS interview today so can't complain.

You've got lots to fall back on though plus I know nothings gonna hold you back having read some of your essays!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
Congrats to those who received HBS invites yesterday!

HERM3S, if you're accepted to HBS/HKS and LGO that's going to be one tough choice, they're both incredible dual degree programs but about as different as can be!

To all those who playing the waiting game or already preparing for the fall, a word of encouragement. From recent chats with vets recently at Wharton and MIT, I've got a sense of just how strong the military business network is. Some of the students felt that the veteran bond (regardless of rank, branch, MOS/designator etc.) was stronger than the alumni ties. When you put the two together, the outlook is bright.

Only a few more months to go before this is all over, we'll have to do a recap of who's going where at the end.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I just emailed a couple of Navy vets at London Business School. Actually, one USMC and one USN guy. USN guy has great things to say about the program: "Best two years of my life, hands down." USMC was a Major and USNA grad with 11 years of service. I think is a bit older and indicated the EMBA would have suited him more. All told there are 4 US military folks, a grip of Israeli's and a couple of POME Brits as well.

Congratulations to all the folks receiving admission responses. It is well deserved.

BTW did anybody apply to Tuck in the Jan Round. I interviewed in November so I am wondering if they have started sending out interview requests.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Jgerard wrote:
All told there are 4 US military folks, a grip of Israeli's and a couple of POME Brits as well.

sounds like my type of crowd. nothing creates better bonds than booze, war stories, and the strength in numbers to overtake a bar.:drinking
Manager
Manager
Send PM
So got a Wharton ding - to be honest of all the schools I figured with the number of people they interviewed, I would at least get to talk to them - hence me applying there when I had no intention of going (damnit, could have saved all that money!!!!) Even though I am confident the app and essays were solid, if they were good enough to see through them then damn.

Still I think it was just was what it was, and is therefore another example of how you never know what these schools are looking for.

Still, its definitely a knock on the ego and now I am definitely worried about Stanford....
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Concentration: Finance: Investment Management
Schools:MIT Sloan Class of 2012
 Q44  V41
Send PM
HERM3S wrote:
So got a Wharton ding - to be honest of all the schools I figured with the number of people they interviewed, I would at least get to talk to them - hence me applying there when I had no intention of going (damnit, could have saved all that money!!!!) Even though I am confident the app and essays were solid, if they were good enough to see through them then damn.

Still I think it was just was what it was, and is therefore another example of how you never know what these schools are looking for.

Still, its definitely a knock on the ego and now I am definitely worried about Stanford....

HERM3S, I played the same logic game and it came up snake eyes for me as well. To be honest looking back I spent the longest amount of time working on my HBS and Wharton apps (1-2 months) and no interview invite for either, a shorter amount of time for my MIT app (2-3 weeks) and received an interview and admit.

For me I think that my essays were too edited at that point and may have become watered down. Obviously I'll never know the answer but when I got the midway point ding from Wharton I really thought "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot"... it just confirmed in my mind that my attempts to understand the thought process of admissions committees at these schools were in vain. There's got to be some logic they utilize I just have come to grips that I'll never know what it is. I know you have your HBS interview coming up though and you had your MIT LGO interview - both, ironically, which are much more difficult to get than a Wharton invite - so I know you'll end up at a great spot regardless of the Wharton ding. I know how you feel about the cash though...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I hear you.

I spent 3 months on HBS, 3 years if you count grooming my career to specifically be as a attractive as possible. As soon as I came back from Iraq, I made the statement "I will go to HBS", and every career decision I made since then has been with HBS in mind. I also hired an essay consultant guy right before submission to get a "pro's look" at my ****, and he confirmed to me that my essays were **** hot. And after all of that, nothing. It was quite the kick in the nads.

Similar story with Stanford. I work on the essays for over a month. Nothing.

Yet I worked on my LBS application for 3 days(?), and I get the invite.

Just goes to show you how black box this process is how totally unpredictable **** can get. At this point, I'm just thanking God I got an LBS interview.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I definitely relate to what you guys are saying about how unpredictable the admissions process is. After getting dinged at Kellogg and waitlisted at Booth, I started feeling that maybe bschool wasn't in the cards after all. When I was accepted to Wharton I felt very surprised, but in hindsight there are so many factors in play during the whole process that each school's decision is impossible to predict and unrelated to each other, despite what we may think.

I remember how the detailers (assignment/placement people for you non-Navy types) would always talk about how "Needs of the Navy", "Needs of the individual", and "Career needs" factored into someone's assignment. The great thing about this process we're going through now is that while "Needs of the school" and our personal desires may not end up matching, you're still in the driver's seat. For anyone who has more than one school to choose from, or even the choice to go at all or not, that is an incredibly empowering position. Try not to get too hung up on the rankings or other details pored over by applicants, but look ahead to the future ahead, regardless of what school gets you there.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
just wanted to bump this post. it's been quiet here as of late.

had my LBS interview today. went pretty well, but who knows. still waiting on USC and Darden via CGSM but I'm getting the feeling they'll send out decisions with the general population.

Stanford...pfff. I'm over it.

How y'all doin?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9