Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:07 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management , Strategy
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Schools:IMD 2011 - admitted
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: International Business
Schools:Attending IE Nov 2010
 Q46  V44
WE 1: 11 years int'l work experience
Send PM
Re: Any IMD Applicants for 2011 [#permalink]
I was granted an interview and went a couple of weeks ago. ArinaCom did a great job of summing it up.

I realized when I was there that IMD is not the best school for me. Why?
It seems they force 16 hour days on you to teach you time management. I'm a very good manager of my time (IMHO) and I'm not sure I want to spend 5 months of overworking just to be sure.
Secondly, they seem to do something similar in working groups - putting you with people you'll disagree with to teach you how to get along.

the campus and city are beautiful and the people at IMD were friendly. After visiting Insead a day before, it was a wonderful breath of fresh air (Fonty wasn't very impressive in my opinion).

After my day there, I realized that IMD is a great place if you want to be the president of a company and get there fast. However, if you're an entrepreneur or someone with an a-typical background, you're fighting an up-hill battle. The only have to pick 90, so they seem to be looking for "safe bets"

It was no surprise that I didn't get accepted (in fact, only one person from my interview group did that I knew of). I sort of realized I wouldn't half way through my interview based on the questions she was asking, which also made me wonder why I'd made the trip and why they invited me.

I guess in the end, the thing that attracted me was their high average work experience (11 years myself) and a guarantee of a strong curriculum.

Advice if you're invited for an interview based on my observations: don't argue with other interviewees in the case study. They're observing your interpersonal skills, not if you're the most opinionated. Oh, and turn OFF your d*** cell phone the entire day.

Again, the staff were very helpful and friendly, and the school seems like a great place for those who are granted a spot. In my case, I'm glad I was rejected, because it made my other top pick (IE in Madrid) an easier sell to my wife, who was looking forward to the Alps for a background.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Send PM
Jones105 wrote:
I was granted an interview and went a couple of weeks ago. ArinaCom did a great job of summing it up.

I realized when I was there that IMD is not the best school for me. Why?
It seems they force 16 hour days on you to teach you time management. I'm a very good manager of my time (IMHO) and I'm not sure I want to spend 5 months of overworking just to be sure.
Secondly, they seem to do something similar in working groups - putting you with people you'll disagree with to teach you how to get along.

the campus and city are beautiful and the people at IMD were friendly. After visiting Insead a day before, it was a wonderful breath of fresh air (Fonty wasn't very impressive in my opinion).

After my day there, I realized that IMD is a great place if you want to be the president of a company and get there fast. However, if you're an entrepreneur or someone with an a-typical background, you're fighting an up-hill battle. The only have to pick 90, so they seem to be looking for "safe bets"

It was no surprise that I didn't get accepted (in fact, only one person from my interview group did that I knew of). I sort of realized I wouldn't half way through my interview based on the questions she was asking, which also made me wonder why I'd made the trip and why they invited me.

I guess in the end, the thing that attracted me was their high average work experience (11 years myself) and a guarantee of a strong curriculum.

Advice if you're invited for an interview based on my observations: don't argue with other interviewees in the case study. They're observing your interpersonal skills, not if you're the most opinionated. Oh, and turn OFF your d*** cell phone the entire day.

Again, the staff were very helpful and friendly, and the school seems like a great place for those who are granted a spot. In my case, I'm glad I was rejected, because it made my other top pick (IE in Madrid) an easier sell to my wife, who was looking forward to the Alps for a background.

Sorry to hear about that Jones105. But I am sure, you picked the right fit for yourself and would do great even in IE, which I think is very good for entrepreneurship and is a very good school overall.

Would you mind sharing what kind of questions were they throwing at you and how did you get the impressions (what discussions/questions) of whatever you have mentioned.

A detailed insight about your interview experience and case studies would be very helpful. Is entrepreneurship your post-MBA goal? Mind sharing your aspirations?

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I've been accepted too. If anyone has any questions on my experience, please pm me.

Jones105, I'm glad you seem to be going to your top pick school, congrats! I was attracted to IMD for many of the same reasons as you (especially above-average work ex) but had a different interview day experience.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
nlka wrote:
I've been accepted too. If anyone has any questions on my experience, please pm me.

Jones105, I'm glad you seem to be going to your top pick school, congrats! I was attracted to IMD for many of the same reasons as you (especially above-average work ex) but had a different interview day experience.

nlka, hearty congratulations ! What are your plans about joining the school?

It would be very useful to listen to your interview experience in detail - especially about your experience of what adcom tries to evaluate through interviews / case study discussions? What are some of the typical questions asked? Do they ask about various stories? Why MBA, why IMD? School fit? cultural experiences?

Do they ask you from your essays / applications or the questions are more generic ones? Kindly let us know.

Also, would you mind sharing your profile?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Jones105, good summary of the day! I concur with the analysis that the IMD applicant profile needs to be more industry focused. My fellow applicants during the interview day were sharp and of very high calibre. As for interview questions, I feel that the questions were not out of the ordinary by any means, you just have to be prepared to drive home the point that you are a great fit with the school.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hyena2011 wrote:
Jones105, good summary of the day! I concur with the analysis that the IMD applicant profile needs to be more industry focused. My fellow applicants during the interview day were sharp and of very high calibre. As for interview questions, I feel that the questions were not out of the ordinary by any means, you just have to be prepared to drive home the point that you are a great fit with the school.

An important contribution from hyena2011 for other IMD aspirants.

https://www.imdhowie.blogspot.com/

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Any R2 applicants? Submitted mine and looking forward to an interview invite :)

Thanks,
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V41
Send PM

Thanks,

Ive submitted mine. Lets see how things move. Have you applied to Insead as well
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bhatiagp wrote:

Thanks,

Ive submitted mine. Lets see how things move. Have you applied to Insead as well

bhatiagp, glad to see your name for R2. I thought I was alone :-)

I applied for LBS and Oxford. Waitlisted for LBS and rejected at Oxford. I think I could not put as much as effort and time for Oxford as I did for LBS and IMD. Hoping for IMD interview call. Where else have you applied?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [0]
Schools:Columbia(RD-ding w/o int),
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Count me in for R2 as well. Looking forward to an invite.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
And one more for R2.All the best to everyone.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
consagain wrote:
And one more for R2.All the best to everyone.

Count me in for R2 ! All the best!
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
nlka wrote:

Congrats nlka!
Can you share your interview experience with us?
What was your case study? How long did it last and what questions were you asked?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Count me in for R2 as well. All the best to everyone else in R2
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Just received my certificate of attendance, so now a different phase begins with sorting out the practical details. Look forward to hearing of more future classmates on this forum. Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance, projects
Schools:INSEAD - dinged; IE-admit; ISB - admit; IIMB-admit; SPJain- admit; IIM C- Admit, IIM A - Dinged after interview. Finally joining IIM B
GMAT 2: 680 GMAT 3: 720
GPA: 3.7
WE 1: 3
WE 2: 2
WE 3: 2
Send PM
i want to...any tips...m yet to take gmat
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V41
Send PM
meghash3 wrote:
i want to...any tips...m yet to take gmat

Wrong forum dude !

Originally posted by bhatiagp on 14 Apr 2010, 07:12.
Last edited by bhatiagp on 17 Apr 2010, 01:14, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts