Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 13:16 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 13:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Operations, Statistics
Schools: Ross (Michigan) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.31
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3048 [1]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Send PM
Re: GMAT Today 710 (Q 48, V39) [#permalink]
Kudos
To the first person above: To be honest keep calm the last week and keep a little fresh by doing a few random problems. I actually had a few drinks the night before to calm my nerves but I had done this for one the practice exams so i knew i could handle it. Now i am not saying get sloshed or drunk but it helped calm my nerves. Again wouldn’t recommend to everyone, you know what works for you so i encourage you to do that. Stay in your comfort zone but the last week and day is not the time to cram, there is a large pool of questions that can be asked so by that time you should have seen most of it anyway and if not it’s a little too late. I did address so areas I had weakness in though.

Hussain15 wrote:
Oh man!! you are my ideal!! Congrats!!! :) Just three queries.

1. You got 640 in MGMAT & relatively low score in your first GMAT Prep. How did you manage to jump from 650 to 710?? I mean what were the crucial factors?

2. When you got 650 in GMAT prep, how many did you get wrong in verbal?

3. (Sorry for two many queries) Lastly, did you manage to complete the test by having some random guessing in the end?
Congrats again!!!

1) No i think i never really took the exam before and the progression was more a familiarity with the exam and question type. The first exam, i did not finish the math section at all and by the time I took my last gmat prep exam I had 8 minutes left in math. Verbal was the opposite, I had 20 minutes left on the first exam and I finished with 5 on the final practice exam. The real gmat I had about 5 left on math and 3 on verbal, quite reversals. I found mahanttan much harder than gmat.

2)Getting problems wrong does not really tell you anything as each problem is valued differently based on what level the question is. 15 wrong out of 34 (didn’t finish) in math for the first practice exam (gmat prep does not show you the scores again for some reason after you take them) and 13 wrong out of 37 on my final gmat practice exam. I think what really put me through the top was I really worked through all the manhattan guides that I had been ignoring before. I thought I was okay in math until I got to the advanced section in these books which as it turns out told me how to do all the problems I had gotten wrong. I was amazed so do those and every advanced section. The only advanced section of the Mahanttan I didn’t really use was SC but I was okay hitting 50% of those anyway but the rest are a must and the Question banks are amazing. Again they were harder than the gmat for me (maybe if I was getting a 750 they would’ve been on par but oh well)

3) I did not really guess that much at the end. I did guess a few times through-out the exam. Be sure to take the break to prepare.I found my pacing in my practice exams (it took me 2 times, the third and fourth exam was the only exam I paced well on) so I did better. Plus knowing the material helps your pacing too. I would say I did not guess more at the end but rather more in the middle to ensure I had time left. Practicing the Manhattan with 120 secs per questions (do the limit by question not total time) does wonders and I encourage that. I do not suggest watching the clock during any exams though that is just distraction. On the exam just have a general idea of where you should be with the timer and look every couple of questions but you will know after some practice exams and not even think about it. I was guessing at the end after my first few practice exams but I ditched the habit. Probably outright guessed 3-4 times on official.

Originally posted by ex21 on 16 Jul 2010, 11:55.
Last edited by ex21 on 16 Jul 2010, 12:16, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Send PM
Opps you said verbal:

verbal 1: 12 incorrect out of 41
verbal 2: 10 incorrect out of 41
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3048 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
Thanks for the detailed answers. +1

& best of luck for your application.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Thanks a lot ..

Posted from my mobile device
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [0]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Congratulations on your terrific score! Nice debrief and follow-up advice as well. But make sure to add your name to the list: 700-clubbers-add-your-name-to-the-list-64636.html
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3595 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Please spare a minute and post the center review here :