Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 00:52 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 00:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Marketing - Product Management
Schools:Berkeley Haas, UCLA Anderson, NYU Stern
 Q48  V42
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3048 [1]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
Re: need help on improving quant [#permalink]
Kudos
I think you can improve your Q score & skils by practicing a lot & also by following a defined path. What resources did you use?

Also, go through this thread for more details on Q strategies. new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
& one more
my-quant-wakeup-story-journey-to-q50-gmat-80842.html

One last point; dont relax assuming that you will apply in next fall. There are several instances when a person delays the gmat for next fall & ends up in a mess, as there is no time for a retake in most cases.

Best of luck & keep us posted. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
hey,

Thanks for all the advice so far. Hussain15, I have purchased all of the manhattan gmat guides. I've gone through the number properties guide and equantions, inequalities & VIC. I was trying to follow the syllabus which confused me being that the "equations, inequalities & VIC" incorporated different math topics that will be covered in future guides. I think i'll probably start the geometry guide since I forgot all of my geometry and get 0% correct and go back to the that guide after doing the others. I'll also go through the OG topics. At the moment I've just been reading the mgmat content and then answering the questions in the OG but should probably read the topics in OG as well? or do you think that mgmat guides cover the topics in more depth? Thanks again I will keep you up to date with my progress
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3048 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
mpalma149 wrote:
hey,

Thanks for all the advice so far. Hussain15, I have purchased all of the manhattan gmat guides. I've gone through the number properties guide and equantions, inequalities & VIC. I was trying to follow the syllabus which confused me being that the "equations, inequalities & VIC" incorporated different math topics that will be covered in future guides. I think i'll probably start the geometry guide since I forgot all of my geometry and get 0% correct and go back to the that guide after doing the others. I'll also go through the OG topics. At the moment I've just been reading the mgmat content and then answering the questions in the OG but should probably read the topics in OG as well? or do you think that mgmat guides cover the topics in more depth? Thanks again I will keep you up to date with my progress

I think you should follow the pattern of MGMAT guides. I mean just do the question pools as given in MGMAT guides & when you will finish all the guides you would have done all the OG & QG questions. Dont know what do you mean by topics in OG? There are no topics in OG, just a little introduction of the areas tested in the test & then there is a big pool of questions. So just follow the MGMAT guides, do the OG & QG questions as mentioned in each guide. As far as starting with geometry is concerned, its your call. I would have started in the sequence, starting from guide 1 & ending on guide 5.

Keep us posted.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Concentration: Tuck,Cornell,Duke
 Q47  V20 GMAT 2: 560  Q45  V22
WE 1: 4.6 years Exp IT prof
Send PM
mpalma149 you can also use Quants Review in order to get urself use to the Gmat questions as well
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Send PM
I don't think MGMAT RC book was of any help to me. I didn't find it that useful..
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I agree with qweert

The Kaplan approach to solve the RC questions is far better and it worked for me....
Manager
Manager
Send PM
amneetpadda wrote:
I agree with qweert

The Kaplan approach to solve the RC questions is far better and it worked for me....

The approach was good, but i don't Kaplan alone will help you. I've started reading Fiction books to help me for the RC section. RC is hardest to master imo, so you'll have to take it slowly.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi Qweert

I have stuck with 70% max with this approach
and it is definitely the hardest............... :-(
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 244 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: CPG Marketing
Schools:Chicago Booth 2013, Ross, Duke , Kellogg , Stanford, Haas
 Q41  V42
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Hussain15 wrote:
mpalma149 wrote:

I think you should follow the pattern of MGMAT guides. I mean just do the question pools as given in MGMAT guides & when you will finish all the guides you would have done all the OG & QG questions. Dont know what do you mean by topics in OG? There are no topics in OG, just a little introduction of the areas tested in the test & then there is a big pool of questions. So just follow the MGMAT guides, do the OG & QG questions as mentioned in each guide. As far as starting with geometry is concerned, its your call. I would have started in the sequence, starting from guide 1 & ending on guide 5.

Keep us posted.

I have been going through the MGMAT math books and what I have found helpful for me is to skip all the advanced chapters for now, do the beginning chapters in each book to get a solid base, then I'm going to go back and read the advanced chapters from each book and the OG questions. I wanted to have a good level of everything before singling out one topic, and now when I go back to review the advanced chapters, this will serve as a review of what I already should know plus more.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
amneetpadda wrote:
Hi Qweert

I think there ought be a section on improving RC, just very hard to master. Reading Fiction books can help you understand a passage better and sometimes faster...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Qweert

I face a problem when the passage related to GDP and jumbled history stuffs.

So i am thinking of reading business article to make me aware of them.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Reading business articles could help you, but try reading 2-3 passages a day (1000 RC is a good way to start).
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: SigEp
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
qweert wrote:
amneetpadda wrote:
Hi Qweert

I think there ought be a section on improving RC, just very hard to master. Reading Fiction books can help you understand a passage better and sometimes faster...

gmat-club-s-reading-comprehension-strategy-guide-83101.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hey guys,

Thats for all the help support. As I said I would keep you updated with my progress. As noted I am focusing on quant until I can bring my score up to a more manageable level. I took another MGMAT exam today and my quant has improved quite drastically. I'm not sure if this has to do with the nature of MGMAT or if perhaps I've become used to the computer adaptive format and my true score is now being reflected. Either way I believe I will continue to work on quant until I can consistently score over 40 and then I will begin to incorporate verbal. Below is a breakdown of my scores.

MGMAT 7/1 520
V-29 56% Q-33 39%

MGMAT 8/14
Q-28 24%

MGMAT 9/9
Q-38
GMAT Club Bot