Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 06:58 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 06:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q42  V30 GMAT 2: 570  Q39  V31 GMAT 3: 590  Q42  V29
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Concentration: Tuck,Cornell,Duke
 Q47  V20 GMAT 2: 560  Q45  V22
WE 1: 4.6 years Exp IT prof
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Given Kudos: 53
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72919 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: 3 gmat attempts and still at 590 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Great suggestion by Akaydee.
I think you will have a hard time with 590 getting into most Top 20 schools. Possible but very hard.

I don't know if you have time to retake the test and put some serious prep into it - it does sound like you may be incompatible in your learning style or test taking style...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
GMAT 1: 540 Q47 V19
GMAT 2: 610 Q46 V28
GPA: 3.86
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
omosolagmat wrote:
I started my GMAT journey Sept. 2009. I took an online Princeton review course for 2 months and then went on to take the official GMAT in Dec. 2009 At this point I was very confident in my quant, but I still felt that I needed more help with the verbal.

I scored a 590 (Q-42 V-30).

I was not jaded and I got back to the drawing board. I got a quant tutor to help me improve on my quant score. I figured that I could work on the verbal on my own. I purchased all 8 MGMAT books in addition to the OG to help me prepare. My practice scores where consistent and ranged anywhere from 640-680. I decided to take the exam the second time. I was very confident and a little bit burnt out, but that didn't bother me. I took the exam again on June 1, 2010 and scores

570 (Q-39 V-31) I was shattered by this score. my timing on the exam was off. I didn't finish the last 5 questions on the quant section and I panicked through the verbal section.

I took a week off and started to study again. I worked on doing at least 3-4 RC a day. I tried to learn and memorize all the SC rules and look out for error patterns. I took at least one practice test in a week. My practice test scores again ranged from 660 - 710 (Q-44-48 V-35-38). I scheduled another exam for August 23, 2010. I was relaxed and confident that this would be my last time taking the GMAT.

I was calm during the test, my timing was under control and i actually felt good during the exam. however, I ended up with a 590 score again (Q-42, V-29). To my surprise i was not as disappointed as the second time I had taken the exam. I merely said to myself that I was cut out for the GMAT and that my score are truly not reflective of my ability.

Now I am focusing on my applications to MIT LGO program. However, I am constantly battling myself on whether or not I want to take the GMAT a fourth time. I really do not know what I am doing wrong during the test!!!!! and I am not sure how to study differently.

I still have a few about 2-3 more months to take the GMAT before the aop. deadline, but I need guidance on how to proceed.

Please help!!!

First thing first : Don't think complacent about yourself.

Now just accept this score for the time being and think what you can do with this score. There are few B School in FT top 100 rankings which have average GMAT score around 630 such as Uni of Illinois U-C,babson,etc. Keep in mind these schools are within top 100 in the world so they are indeed good and competitive.

FT world top 100 : https://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolrankings/global-mba-rankings
GmatClub US school Rankings (see average GMAT scores of top US bschools here) :
https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-pants-pooping-applicant-thread-for-78477.html#p617871
GmatClub international school Rankings (see average GMAT scores of top non-US bschools here) :
https://gmatclub.com/forum/international-schools-rankings-class-profiles-and-comparison-83394.html

It's just a myth that a student passing out from Harvard and Wharton can be successful. If you work hard in these lower-cluster schools then you can also get very good placements.

The dots are placed at correct place just waiting to be connected.so don't bogged down by these rankings. You can offset this GMAT deficiency by making your application stronger.

All the best. Have a great future.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 317 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Have you changed your studying approach at all since the first exam? Getting a tutor or a new GMAT book will not do it. I dont know all the details of your studying approach but my guess is that your are not learning to identify GMAT patterns. If you would, you will be scoring higher for sure.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37320 posts