Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 06:29 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 06:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
Re: Timing Ability during real GMAT? [#permalink]
If you are already timing yourself rigorously, I think you will have a good idea of how you're spending your time, and your biggest problem test day will be mentally forcing yourself to move on. I would suggest not even looking at the clock, or looking very few times. See where you are a third of the way through and judge accordingly.

I don't think I looked at the clock until I was over 2/3 through. It meant I wasn't stressing over anything and I actually ended up finishing early, which had never happened to me during practice tests.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
Not necessarily. If you know you are on your way to solving it, then continue, so long as it isn't going to take you 5 or 6 minutes. If you're starting to swirl, take a guess. My point was mainly that if you've studied with the method the original poster has, you should have a good feel for the pace you need to tick through to get done in time.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [2]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
phoenix09 wrote:
Avernusaur wrote:
spgny wrote:
I have been working on my timing, forcing myself to answer a question in sub 2 minutes. I have been able to do this because I have a SilentTimer that lets me have a total and per question countdown clock..

On the real test, is there a clock on the screen that breaks down the time per question or are you on your own to do the time breakdown math?

You're on your own to do the math. You should memorize your "checkpoints" and write them down on the notepad once you enter the testing area. For example, the amount of time you should have remaining after question 5, 10, 15, etc.

It's important that you know whether you're ahead or behind schedule without losing time to do the math. This should also help reduce your test-day anxiety.

Are there any standard "checkpoints"?

The checkpoints depend on your performance. I'd suggest doing the best you can (without spending too much time) on the first 5-10 questions and see where that leaves you for time. If you're ahead of schedule, don't check the time again until you feel like you're struggling with timing.

Time management is going to be handled differently for everyone, but you should have enough experience from practice tests to know if you're answering a question in less than 90 seconds.

If you're 3+ minutes ahead of schedule when you get to the last 10 questions, make sure to use this extra time as needed.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance
Schools:UCLA Anderson '12
 Q42  V40 GMAT 2: 740  Q49  V41
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
I used this for Quant (from Manhattan GMAT) and found it super helpful. I scored a Q42 on my last GMAT attempt b/c I left 3-4 blank. Scored a 49 this time and finished RIGHT on time.

At the 65 minute mark - should be done with question 5
55 minute mark - question 10
45 minute mark - question 15
35 minute mark - 20
25 minute mark - 25
15 minute mark - 30
5 minute mark - 35

45 minute and 25 minute marks were what I really used. I was 1 question ahead at the 45 minute mark but realized I fell behind so I used some guessing techniques to get me caught up by question 25. Guessing is a must sometimes, but learn to eliminate 2-3 choices and make a good guess. The mission should be: YOU MUST FINISH EVERY QUESTION! :-D

Just write this on the front of your scratch sheet during the 60 second instruction screen.

65 - 5
55 - 10
45 - 15
...etc.

The verbal is similar except we used 7-8 questions per 10 minute interval. This is less consistent b/c the Reading Comp can come up at any point, which throws off your timing. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
duuuma wrote:
I used this for Quant (from Manhattan GMAT) and found it super helpful. I scored a Q42 on my last GMAT attempt b/c I left 3-4 blank. Scored a 49 this time and finished RIGHT on time.

35 minute mark - 20
25 minute mark - 25
15 minute mark - 30
5 minute mark - 35

45 minute and 25 minute marks were what I really used. I was 1 question ahead at the 45 minute mark but realized I fell behind so I used some guessing techniques to get me caught up by question 25. Guessing is a must sometimes, but learn to eliminate 2-3 choices and make a good guess. The mission should be: YOU MUST FINISH EVERY QUESTION! :-D

Just write this on the front of your scratch sheet during the 60 second instruction screen.

65 - 5
55 - 10
45 - 15
...etc.

The verbal is similar except we used 7-8 questions per 10 minute interval. This is less consistent b/c the Reading Comp can come up at any point, which throws off your timing. Good luck!

duuuma, don't you think that it could be a good idea to take more time on the firsts questions??
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10038 [0]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
I used some calculations, it gave me confidence:

Example 1: 22/37; 40 min remain
22*2=44 min --> 44+40 = 84 min - 75 min ~ 9 min reserve.

Example 2: 11/41; 54 min remain
11*2=22 min --> 54 + (22-2) =74 --> 74 - 75 ~ -1 min lost.
where 2 is a correction for Verbal section: 10%

For last 5 questions the task is easer:

Example 1: 34/37; 9 min remain
37 - 34 + 1 = 4 --> 4*2 = 8 --> 9-8 = 1 min reserve.

I know it is suitable for guys who are good in math.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
so there is a timer that starts at 75 mins and counts down for each section (math & verbal)?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy,IT management
 Q0  V0 GMAT 2: 0  Q0  V0 GMAT 3: 0  Q0  V0
Send PM
Yup maribelsalazar02,
there is timer each for AWA,Quant and Verbal..In AWA it will start with 30 min and countdown to 0
for quant and Verbal yes it will start with 75 min and countdown to 0.. within the last 5 min of time remaining it will show seconds split also...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
dont forget that the timing is a rule of thumb. if you dont know it dont keep going at it as it will hurt you later on. It is not worth spending 4 mins on a question to get it right. Also, most quants have "short cuts" so if in practice you are using a lot of time on a problem then study the answer throughly figuring out the shortcut or "correct way" to do it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
It is nice to budget about sub 2 minutes for each problem, but don't forget some problems may click well with you. Do not always be afraid to go over the 2 minute limited if you KNOW you can solve it. I would say spend more time on PS problems if necessary, since DS problems typically take less time to solve.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Dawgie wrote:
It is nice to budget about sub 2 minutes for each problem, but don't forget some problems may click well with you. Do not always be afraid to go over the 2 minute limited if you KNOW you can solve it. I would say spend more time on PS problems if necessary, since DS problems typically take less time to solve.

while it is true if you are on the verge of solving it by 2 you could finish it up but dont pass 3 though..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
DFG5150 wrote:
duuuma wrote:

35 minute mark - 20
25 minute mark - 25
15 minute mark - 30
5 minute mark - 35

65 - 5
55 - 10
45 - 15
...etc.

duuuma, don't you think that it could be a good idea to take more time on the firsts questions??

@DFG5150: It is not important to spend more time in the first 10 questions .You just have to remember to get as many question right in a row. It is even ok to make mistakes every now and then. But what is important is that you shouldn't be guessing blindly in successive questions
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Timing is a major part of test-taking skill, particularly for the GMAT CAT. You'll have to stare at a screen intensely and focus for nearly four hours. Keep this in mind when taking practice tests. Get used to working for many hours on end. Learn how to relax. The physical and mental exhaustion is part of the test's challenge.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
You could always use the GMAT Timer app in the app store that has the two-minute buzz feature for your phone. You could just keep it in your pocket and it'll vibrate every time you need to move on to the next question.

Only problem: you would have to sneak your phone into the testing center which could get you kicked out.

Do they make you take off an Apple watch when you go in?
GMAT Club Bot