Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 08:29 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 08:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Marketing & Entrepreneurship
Schools:UCLA Anderson FEMBA Class of 2014
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Consulting, Strategy
Schools:Booth
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V46
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: How much do you exaggerate? [#permalink]
Dawgie wrote:
A lot, you gotta sell yourself. A lot of the small details cannot be verified anyway. For example, I heard some guy that had a low UG say he was suffering from cancer.

Couldn't it be true?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Schools:Booth class of 2013
 Q51  V44
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 6 yrs product development (tech)
Send PM
I'm all for adding personality to the essay, but stealing/borrowing/faking stories is just wrong. I would hate to find that a peer of mine had fudged his/her way through the application process. Would you report such a person to the school? Now there's a moral dilemma!

I don't have a halo on my head, but I do have experiences and lessons that are just mine.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 160 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
WE 1: Engineering
Send PM
wiredo wrote:
I'm all for adding personality to the essay, but stealing/borrowing/faking stories is just wrong. I would hate to find that a peer of mine had fudged his/her way through the application process. Would you report such a person to the school? Now there's a moral dilemma!

I don't have a halo on my head, but I do have experiences and lessons that are just mine.

I guess, have honesty of intention and you will get what is truly yours.

Posted from my mobile device
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 521 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Send PM
Sailorette wrote:
coaks wrote:
emsepower wrote:
Hey guys-

I was working on my applications today and was wondering how much, if at all, people exaggerate on their apps?

Yeah, lying's bad. But don't undersell your accomplishments either. I think the best advice I've heard is to imagine that your mother or father or spouse/partner is writing the application for you. How would that family member describe your accomplishments to someone else if they knew all the most impressive parts?

I use a variation of the above advice- I pretend that my boss/spouse/fellow committee members were going to read the application and be asked for comments on my answers. That helped me identify a firm line in the sand without being too modest.

It turned out to be a good approach, as for one of my ECs I described co-chairing a silent auction at my employer for the United Way annual fundraising drive. The person I co-chaired with is my former boss, is writing my letters of rec, and requested that I share my application with her so she could include additional points she may have forgotten.

How embarassing would it have been to send her a document that described my taking all of the responsiblity for something we accomplished together?!? :oops:

Keep in mind you're telling the schools how great of a candidate you ARE, not how great you would be if you had done X, Y, and Z. And if a school can tell that's there a mismatch between what you claim and what they think actually happened (which I believe that most adcomms are quite adept at identifying), the message they're going to get is that even YOU don't think you're good enough for them. Then what are they supposed to do, but believe you & reject your application?

In my opinion this post is the best if we are searching for a criteria to help us draw the line and avoid unnecessary lies. Thank you for bringing this issue up.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [3]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Kudos
As a person who has done some interviews (work related and mock MBA interviews with friends on this forum) one of my favorite parts is to ask a question I know candidates can't answer and see how they handle it (do they admit they don't know, do they fudge, do they outright lie and think I don't know the answer). The same applies to experiences that seem too good - its easy to ask for details and see clues such as eye movement, tone of voice to dig for issues. To think that an experienced interviewer won't do that and more, is naive.

When it comes to lying / over-exaggerating - don't do it, because with this many angles they have of you (essays, app, recommenders, interview, chats with students while you're there) it would be extremely tough for you to keep all loose ends together. Now multiply that by 3-4 schools and you can see how many opportunities you'll have for slipping. If the cancer story is really true and the guy is at HBS, he'll have plenty of arrogance and opportunities to mess up. That kind of attitude catches up with you eventually - the later the harder, just read about Bernie Madoff.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Finance & Strategic Management
Schools:Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
 Q50  V41
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Big Four Advisory
Send PM
Its possible the cancer story could be an "exaggeration" as well. The person may have had a benign tumor or something that required a mild degree of chemo.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Heck, I had a quarter size basal cell cercinoma carved out of my forehead a couple years ago, maybe I should play it up. It was cancer after all. In that sense I am a legitimate cancer survivor....well well then!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools:Haas, HBS, UNC, Duke, Kellogg, etc
WE 1: Investment Banking Domain, Functionally-Technology
Send PM
Faking cancer is so wrong... I am not for exaggeration either, but i do belive that every person has some credits to him/her and you need to put them in best light. Its not about which posts you held but its about what every activity taught you and helped grow your character...
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
This is the most depressing thread I have read on GMATClub.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [2]
Schools:Foster, Sloan (WL w/int.), Kellogg, Anderson
Send PM
Kudos
So you're telling me I shouldn't write about the time I built a house for orphans... in outer-space (I was an astronaut)... and then delivered a baby (part-time doctor) in the space shuttle during re-entry into the Earth's atmosphere? All while battling cancer?

Then WTF am I going to write about? :evil:

On a serious note, if you can't come up with a couple decent stories for essays and resort to lying (making your own stories sound more interesting than they really are is not lying), then you:

A) Are extremely boring
B) Lack creativity
C) Lack will/discipline
D) All of the above

I can't decide whether or not someone is accepted into bschool, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to sit next them in class if they are -- for fear of them cheating off my exams. Like my kindergarten teacher used to say, "Eyes on your own papers!"
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
method wrote:
This is the most depressing thread I have read on GMATClub.

Find any of the old 'didn't get admitted anywhere club'... those are pretty awful to read too when you see dozens and dozens of posts in them.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Non-profits
 Q47  V35
Send PM
Guys,
This thread has become more about the cancer example. Please let us get back to the main question.
Can someone throw some light on what all in done in a "Background Check"??
Do the schools write back to the recommendors to know more about the claims made by the applicant?
Do they look up the web or other sources to look for any clues etc?

Appreciate all the responses in advance!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Finance & Strategic Management
Schools:Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
 Q50  V41
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Big Four Advisory
Send PM
anaghamahajan01 wrote:
Guys,
This thread has become more about the cancer example. Please let us get back to the main question.
Do the schools write back to the recommendors to know more about the claims made by the applicant?

Don't BS on your application and then you don't need to worry about any background checks. :lol:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Schools:Booth class of 2013
 Q51  V44
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 6 yrs product development (tech)
Send PM
It's no wonder that all b-schools are integrating ethics' lessons into their curriculum :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
anaghamahajan01 wrote:
Guys,

Write as if they check everything. It will make your writing better, and your consciousness lighter, which might also make you a better candidate during interviews. Its better to write details on things you know (much more vivid and interesting to read) than to fudge on things you haven't really experienced.

Admissions doesn't care how many people you have managed, how many extracurriculars you can brag with, or how much money you have handled so far, they care about:

1. Are you aware of you strengths and weaknesses and can you be honest about them so you can use your strengths and work on your weaknesses.
2. Are you passionate about something (whether its an extracurricular or something at work) and are you proactive enough to contribute to things you are passionate about consistently.
3. Do you have goals that are:
a) worthwhile.
b) Something the school can realistically help you with
c) actually achievable, when you add up your previous experience and an MBA from that school.

The rest is context. Don't exaggerate to the point where you have to ask yourself "Will they check?". Focus on the important parts!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
I feel disheartened but at the same time cheaters were rampant within my undergrad so I can't so I'm not surprised.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
People can cheat on their CVs, such as saying that they managed 100 people or their company earned millions thanks to them. However, if the recommenders say nothing to support that then the ding is assured
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3