Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 00:33 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 00:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Re: Teach for America > B-school? [#permalink]
Don't fall into the trap thinking that it's only IB/VC/PE that gets into HWS!

If I had your background I would definitely put some spin control on it. "Coming out of undergrad, I knew I wanted to explore the law. But before sinking a lot of money and time into an expensive law school, I thought I would get some experience as a paralegal to verify my interest and serve as valuable experience if I did go to law school. While taking every opportunity available as a paralegal to learn about law, I actually developed a superior interest in A, B, and C, and I am now convinced that your MBA program is the best route for me."

Tons of MBA applicants are career changers. If you present the paralegal experience as a cost-effective way of testing the waters, I think you could show a tremendous sense of maturity that's respected from a business perspective.

Anyway, interested in seeing the other advice on this! Good luck mate!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Marketing & Entrepreneurship
Schools:UCLA Anderson FEMBA Class of 2014
Send PM
you got this! i'd agree with method - it's all about how you write your essays and present yourself to show your career progression.
Current Student
Affiliations: CBS '13
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q50  V44
GPA: 3.3 from top 5 ivy
Send PM
helpabrotherout wrote:
method wrote:
If you already have work experience, I wouldn't join TFA just to get into an MBA program. If you had no work experience because you just finished college, then I would certainly recommend it.

From what I gather, the key is not necessarily that you have a specific background, but that you have a history of leadership. If you can show that, I think you'll be competitive. Plus, schools are always throwing the diversity word around.

With a 3.5/760, I imagine it's all about how you present yourself. Nothing you do will change the work experience you already have.

My experience is pretty ugly, though: I've been a paralegal for ~ 2 years. I thought I wanted to go to law school, and clearly have changed my mind. While I've had some good experience (including trial experience etc.) it's definitely not the IB/VC/PE stuff that most HWS applicants have... I think I could spin it in the right direction, and probably gather some good recommendations, but I'm worried that I have no shot at all at Top 3 or 7 or 10 schools due to experience, and I thought that TFA might be something that would boost my resume (and something I'd actually really like to do as well). Am I totally off on that?

By the way, thanks for your advice. I really don't have a clue what I'm doing with this process.

paralegal is a dead-end job. Paralegal = Secretary. Sorry I don't think you can spin it in anyway to show leadership. You are competing with actual lawyers. My advice is get a real job and do it for a couple of years.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
lawgonebusiness wrote:
helpabrotherout wrote:
method wrote:
If you already have work experience, I wouldn't join TFA just to get into an MBA program. If you had no work experience because you just finished college, then I would certainly recommend it.

From what I gather, the key is not necessarily that you have a specific background, but that you have a history of leadership. If you can show that, I think you'll be competitive. Plus, schools are always throwing the diversity word around.

With a 3.5/760, I imagine it's all about how you present yourself. Nothing you do will change the work experience you already have.

My experience is pretty ugly, though: I've been a paralegal for ~ 2 years. I thought I wanted to go to law school, and clearly have changed my mind. While I've had some good experience (including trial experience etc.) it's definitely not the IB/VC/PE stuff that most HWS applicants have... I think I could spin it in the right direction, and probably gather some good recommendations, but I'm worried that I have no shot at all at Top 3 or 7 or 10 schools due to experience, and I thought that TFA might be something that would boost my resume (and something I'd actually really like to do as well). Am I totally off on that?

By the way, thanks for your advice. I really don't have a clue what I'm doing with this process.

paralegal is a dead-end job. Paralegal = Secretary. Sorry I don't think you can spin it in anyway to show leadership. You are competing with actual lawyers. My advice is get a real job and do it for a couple of years.

To be fair, associates don't "lead" at all either.

My problem is that I'm unqualified for a "real job."
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
There's no such thing as leadership in law. Period.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
True. So did you practice first or go straight to b-school? Obviously different situations, but how did you spin your law experience into a "leadership" story without making it look like you just hated law and wanted a new career?
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
helpabrotherout wrote:
True. So did you practice first or go straight to b-school? Obviously different situations, but how did you spin your law experience into a "leadership" story without making it look like you just hated law and wanted a new career?

Practiced for about a year and half. Focused on pro-bono stuff.
Director
Director
Send PM
The spin control doesn't have to be about leadership, it just has to turn an "ugly" into something more intelligent. And the fact that aren't going into law proves you made a wise choice by not going to law school. If the job prevents you from leadership opportunities, that's almost a plus for you since you can explain it as the nature of the work.

You'll have to muster up some leadership points elsewhere, but not all is lost. Plus, lets say you take the advice to work a few more years -- there's nothing stopping you from applying now. If you get in, great! If not, you know what you need to work on.
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
method wrote:
The spin control doesn't have to be about leadership, it just has to turn an "ugly" into something more intelligent. And the fact that aren't going into law proves you made a wise choice by not going to law school. If the job prevents you from leadership opportunities, that's almost a plus for you since you can explain it as the nature of the work.

You'll have to muster up some leadership points elsewhere, but not all is lost. Plus, lets say you take the advice to work a few more years -- there's nothing stopping you from applying now. If you get in, great! If not, you know what you need to work on.

It's just that the OP's chance is kind of slim given that he only worked as a paralegal.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
lawgonebusiness wrote:
method wrote:

It's just that the OP's chance is kind of slim given that he only worked as a paralegal.

Might as well give it a shot. Not much to lose. Plus I have other experience I can draw from. Did you go to CLS?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GPA: 3.4 Ivy
WE 1: 3 years for major bank
Send PM
If you can show real leadership experience outside of work, such as starting an charitable organization and running it, and so forth, then that can help compensate.
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
helpabrotherout wrote:
lawgonebusiness wrote:
method wrote:

Might as well give it a shot. Not much to lose. Plus I have other experience I can draw from. Did you go to CLS?

Not CLS, but another T6. Yeah, I agree, you should just try it.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
lawgonebusiness wrote:

Gotcha. Yea my plan was to go to a T6 last year (N) but that got derailed by the bottom falling out of the legal industry. Plus I really kind of hate law, so hopefully it was a blessing in disguise. Thanks for your help and good luck at CBS.
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
helpabrotherout wrote:
lawgonebusiness wrote:

Gotcha. Yea my plan was to go to a T6 last year (N) but that got derailed by the bottom falling out of the legal industry. Plus I really kind of hate law, so hopefully it was a blessing in disguise. Thanks for your help and good luck at CBS.

Let me be the first to congratulate you on not going to law school. the legal industry is in a deep sh*thole. I think you may want to switch to a non-profit for a year or two before applying. I went to law school when the whole thing was at the peak of its bubble stage.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
lawgonebusiness wrote:
helpabrotherout wrote:
lawgonebusiness wrote:

Let me be the first to congratulate you on not going to law school. the legal industry is in a deep sh*thole. I think you may want to switch to a non-profit for a year or two before applying. I went to law school when the whole thing was at the peak of its bubble stage.

Yea, it's a nightmare. I know people at HYS who struck out at OCI this year... Not to mention, the best case scenario is Biglaw working 80-hr weeks while narrowly avoiding layoffs. No thanks.

Definitely will look into the non-profit idea.
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Like your clear-headedness. law is dead for the next 10 years. too oversaturated.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
How much better would a non-profit/NGO type gig look for a b-school application? Are any of them easy to get? I'm in the DC area so I think there are a bunch of those types of organizations, but not sure how to go about looking.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2