Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 13:04 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 13:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [3]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2932 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619469 [1]
Given Kudos: 81611
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: You have two dice, what is the probability of rolling a sum of 3 BEFOR [#permalink]
Excellently done Bunuel!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Send PM
Re: You have two dice, what is the probability of rolling a sum of 3 BEFOR [#permalink]
Thank you very much Buneul for your answer. However I have a few questions:

I understand up to P(other sum). How can you conclude the winning scenario is other sum then sum 3? I know it's a possible case, but why is it (other sum, sum 3) will lead to a (other sum, sum 3, then sum 7). It could be (other sum, sum 3, sum 8) - after 3 rollings, while what we expect is sum 7. Therefore the (other sum, other sum,..., sum 3) could be a wrong case.

On the other hand, if we can conclude other sum, other sum,..., sum 3 is a winning scenario, have we assume the probability of sum 7 and other sum but not 7 are the same, while there are different?

I don't understand this sentence too "So probability of rolling a sum of 3 BEFORE rolling a sum of 7 would be the sum of the above infinite series" - how can you conclude it's the sum that series, how about if we have an AFTER word? What is the difference between BEFORE and AFTER?

Edit: I like your second approach, by comparing the fraction of the probability of 2 events we can say P = 1/4, but I still don't understand the word BEFORE.. What if they ask for AFTER? Will we still compare the 2 probabilities?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619469 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
catennacio wrote:
Thank you very much Buneul for your answer. However I have a few questions:

I understand up to P(other sum). How can you conclude the winning scenario is other sum then sum 3? I know it's a possible case, but why is it (other sum, sum 3) will lead to a (other sum, sum 3, then sum 7). It could be (other sum, sum 3, sum 8) - after 3 rollings, while what we expect is sum 7. Therefore the (other sum, other sum,..., sum 3) could be a wrong case.

On the other hand, if we can conclude other sum, other sum,..., sum 3 is a winning scenario, have we assume the probability of sum 7 and other sum but not 7 are the same, while there are different?

I don't understand this sentence too "So probability of rolling a sum of 3 BEFORE rolling a sum of 7 would be the sum of the above infinite series" - how can you conclude it's the sum that series, how about if we have an AFTER word? What is the difference between BEFORE and AFTER?

Edit: I like your second approach, by comparing the fraction of the probability of 2 events we can say P = 1/4, but I still don't understand the word BEFORE.. What if they ask for AFTER? Will we still compare the 2 probabilities?

When we roll 2 dice the sum can be 3, 7, or some other number (not 3 and not 7). The questions asks for the cases when we get the sum of 3 BEFORE the sum of 7.

For example why the cases I wrote are the winning scenarios:
{sum=3} - means that right on the first throw we have sum of 3, so we have 3 before 7 (as no 7 at all);
{other sum; sum=3} - first roll not 7 and not 3, so we can continue. On the second throw we have sum of 3, so again 3 before 7 - OK;
{other sum; other sum; sum=3} - sum of 3 on the third roll;
{other sum; other sum; other sum; sum=3} - sum of 3 on the fourth roll;
{other sum; other sum; other sum; ..., other sum on the nth roll; sum of 3 on the (n+1)th roll} - out of n+1 rolls we have other sum for the rolls from 1 to n and sum of 3 on the (n+1)th roll, still 3 before 7 - OK;

The above can be continued infinitely, and all above case represent the scenario when we have the sum of 3 BEFORE we have the sum of 7 (which will eventually occur on some roll afterwards). So the probability of getting 3 before 7 would be the sum of the probabilities of the above events.

Hope it's clear. Anyway: you won't need this for GMAT, so don't worry too much.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Bunuel now I understand it. However I think you miss the scenario where sum=7 occurs before sum=3. For example, 1st time sum=7, 2nd time sum=3, so the probability must be 6/36 * 2/36. You assumed that sum 7 never happens before sum 3 so you take the probability of other sum (7/9) to calculate. Am I wrong?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619469 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
catennacio wrote:
Thanks Bunuel now I understand it. However I think you miss the scenario where sum=7 occurs before sum=3. For example, 1st time sum=7, 2nd time sum=3, so the probability must be 6/36 * 2/36. You assumed that sum 7 never happens before sum 3 so you take the probability of other sum (7/9) to calculate. Am I wrong?

Yes, you are wrong. I'm not assuming that 7 doesn't occur before 3 rather than I'm only interested to count the probability of the cases when 3 occur before 7 as this is what the question is asking, that's why I'm not considering the cases when 7 occur before 3.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 225 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Nice explanation Bunuel !
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Bunuel, you're right.. sometimes I got off the track when thinking... thanks for being patient with me :)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92955 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts