Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 08:10 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 08:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton/Lauder - Class of 2013
 Q50  V38
WE 1: Project Management, Telecommunications
Send PM
Re: My GMAT Experience Debrief [#permalink]
Congrats!! That's an amazing verbal score!! Just curious if you have any suggestions on doing so well on verbal? Did you have to work on it or are you a natural?
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: ACCA
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Send PM
I am also very curious as to how to achieve such a verbal score
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
congrats!!!! gud luck for ur app!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 335 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
how did you improve your accuracy.Generally i get 9,10 problems wrong in one test
Intern
Intern
Send PM
For verbal, I found the MGMAT Sentence Correction book to be an excellent resource compared to what was mentioned in the Princeton and Kaplan guides. My background may have helped a bit, as I am a native English speaker and it is my mother tongue. However, my educational background wasn't helpful; I was an EECS major in undergrad. I enjoy reading a wide variety of nonfiction material such as newspapers, magazines and books, and that might have helped. I'm not sure how much you can raise your score by reading sophisticated material, as I didn't purposely increase my reading to prepare for the GMAT. One might think that I'm a bit weird as I actually enjoyed reading the supposedly boring GMAT passages, and I found that I gained quite a bit of general knowledge, which is always good for small talk :) .

Regarding verbal strategies, I never really learned formal grammar properly (I blame it on the education system here, which encourages young kids to naturally learn grammar through writing instead of teaching them the formal rules and structure). To me, sentences just naturally sound right or wrong. However, simply using this method gave me trouble when I was going through the Kaplan book, and I performed very poorly on the Kaplan practice questions. Through GMAT Club, I found out about the MGMAT series, which I found very helpful. I was able to incorporate the rules I learned with my natural intuition, and I was answering questions much more quickly and confidently. The answers were now the ones that sounded the best and did not violate any of the rules.

Another key for me was the importance of meaning in SC questions, as I realized that many questions contain answers with tiny nuances that subtly change the meaning of the passage, and also reazlied that the answer must best reflect the original intent of the author. After I realized this key point, my SC performance greatly improved.

Hope that helps

Originally posted by cosmintruta on 14 Oct 2010, 07:54.
Last edited by cosmintruta on 14 Oct 2010, 08:03, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mrinal2100 wrote:
how did you improve your accuracy.Generally i get 9,10 problems wrong in one test

If you generally still have time left at the end of practice sections, I would recommend doublechecking your answers. Personally, I did not doublecheck any of my answers on the GMATPreps or the real GMAT, as I was constantly worrying about the possibility that a killer question might lurk on the horizon (perhaps I was being too optimistic?).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton/Lauder - Class of 2013
 Q50  V38
WE 1: Project Management, Telecommunications
Send PM
cosmintruta wrote:
For verbal, I found the MGMAT Sentence Correction book to be an excellent resource compared to what was mentioned in the Princeton and Kaplan guides. My background may have helped a bit, as I am a native English speaker and it is my mother tongue. However, my educational background wasn't helpful; I was an EECS major in undergrad. I enjoy reading a wide variety of nonfiction material such as newspapers, magazines and books, and that might have helped. I'm not sure how much you can raise your score by reading sophisticated material, as I didn't purposely increase my reading to prepare for the GMAT. One might think that I'm a bit weird as I actually enjoyed reading the supposedly boring GMAT passages, and I found that I gained quite a bit of general knowledge, which is always good for small talk :) .

Regarding verbal strategies, I never really learned formal grammar properly (I blame it on the education system here, which encourages young kids to naturally learn grammar through writing instead of teaching them the formal rules and structure). To me, sentences just naturally sound right or wrong. However, simply using this method gave me trouble when I was going through the Kaplan book, and I performed very poorly on the Kaplan practice questions. Through GMAT Club, I found out about the MGMAT series, which I found very helpful. I was able to incorporate the rules I learned with my natural intuition, and I was answering questions much more quickly and confidently. The answers were now the ones that sounded the best and did not violate any of the rules.

Another key for me was the importance of meaning in SC questions, as I realized that many questions contain answers with tiny nuances that subtly change the meaning of the passage, and also reazlied that the answer must best reflect the original intent of the author. After I realized this key point, my SC performance greatly improved.

Hope that helps

That definitely helps! I pretty much ignore the meaning when it comes to SC - probably a bad strategy! Interesting thing is I was doing well on SC but the more I studied, the more I started questioning the correct answers - I knew there could be nuances and started looking for them even on questions where it didn't matter. I've been trying to use my ear more but still not panning out. :(
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37320 posts