Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 10:29 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 10:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
Re: Ask a Darden Second Year [#permalink]
Thanks DardenSY, for answering questions regarding Darden.

I was hoping that you could help answer my questions.

1. How are partners viewed in the Darden community? Are there a lot of support/acitivities? Can they attend classes as well? Judging by the heavy coursework, with classes, recruiting, and nightly learning team meatings, how do partners usually work out in these situations? Or do students with partners basically just say "good night" to their fiances, spouses at night over the phone and that's it?

2. I'm a prospective students, gearing toward MC post-MBA. However, I have no prior consulting experiences. What does Darden have for students who are on the same boat as I am?

3. If you absolutely have to name one negative aspect about Darden, what would it be?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
Send PM
Hi! Thank DardenSY for answering question and your time.
Would you mind sharing in which Clubs/students organization are you involved and what activities are you doing. Thanks!

If you don't mind I would like to share the link to all prospect students for Darden 2013 Class
calling-all-darden-fall-2011-applicants-99575.html
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@ malbec

I am a Second Year Career Coach, on the leadership team of Net Impact at Darden, and a member of the Consulting Club, National Association of Women MBAs, the Education Club, and the Cold Call Chorus. There are a number of clubs to get involved in at school. I found that I gravitated towards ones that were a good combination of my personal interests and career interests.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
@ bakfed

1. How are partners viewed in the Darden community? Are there a lot of support/acitivities? Can they attend classes as well? Judging by the heavy coursework, with classes, recruiting, and nightly learning team meatings, how do partners usually work out in these situations? Or do students with partners basically just say "good night" to their fiances, spouses at night over the phone and that's it?
Excellent question. My fiance is a lawyer and didn't move to Charlottesville when I started school. We see each other about every other weekend, switching off who travels. For my friends who have local partners, there are a wide range of possibilities of how to make it work. You are busy, certainly as busy as you would be when working. The DPA (Darden Partners Association) is made up of working and non working partners that coordinate activities outside of Darden. In addition to that network, there are many family/partner friendly activities on grounds (what we call campus). We have near weekly happy hours on Thursdays that are held on grounds with beer and food. People bring their dogs, kids, etc. All weekend activities are open to spouses/partners. SY electives are more conducive to partners visiting. There is a partners visit day in the fall as well.

2. I'm a prospective students, gearing toward MC post-MBA. However, I have no prior consulting experiences. What does Darden have for students who are on the same boat as I am?
Beginning before school even starts, you begin exploring the world of recruiting, from learning about each functional area, to meeting alums in each field, to thinking more about your post-MBA priorities. I came from a non-traditional background, and was able to successfully secure a summer and full-time management consulting position with a top firm. Throughout the fall you have career management sessions to go over strategies for networking, writing resumes, attending recruiting events, and eventually interviewing. You also are assigned a Second Year Coach to help you navigate the process, create a company list, recruitment plan, and eventually practice both case and behavioral interviews.

3. If you absolutely have to name one negative aspect about Darden, what would it be?
My one criticism would be to strengthen ties and connections to the university as a whole. The Entrepreneurship and Venture Capital club does an excellent job connecting Darden students to students in other schools with the goal of creating new products and ventures, but I think there are greater opportunities to connect with the university. I know a number of faculty members work on cross-curricular projects and initiatives, but I think more of those opportunities could be made aware to students. On the other side, it is easy to stay in the business school bubble. As students, we could probably explore the greater UVA academic community more.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have more questions. Have a great end to your week.

- Darden SY
Retired Moderator
Send PM
thanks a lot for your response. If I have more questions, I'll be sure to post them here.
Current Student
Send PM
DardenSY wrote:
@ malbec

I am a Second Year Career Coach, on the leadership team of Net Impact at Darden, and a member of the Consulting Club, National Association of Women MBAs, the Education Club, and the Cold Call Chorus. There are a number of clubs to get involved in at school. I found that I gravitated towards ones that were a good combination of my personal interests and career interests.

Thank so much for sharing it! I am very interested in the Net Impact Club at Darden and probably one of the organizations that I am going to join if get admitted.

Two more question please:
1) Regarding the Darden Partners Association. I am married, can my wife attend to classes? Or take courses from Virginia University?
2) Could you please share where are you living? How far are you from the school/markets
And what place would you recommend to live for a couple?
Searching in Darden's website I found: Copeley Hill Apartments and University Gardens. Are there any options?
(I am international and I couldn't travel to visit Darden yet)
Thank you for your time!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Marketing
Schools:dont know yet
Send PM
DardenSY

do you know anything about the marketing program at Darden? teachers, students, jobs, classes.

i'm whipping up a list of schools that im going to apply next year.
any info would be amazing DardenSY.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
@malbec

Here are my answers to your last two questions. Have a great week!

1) Regarding the Darden Partners Association. I am married, can my wife attend to classes? Or take courses from Virginia University?
When it comes to the DPA (what we all call the Darden Partners Association), they are incredibly organized and plan great events for their members. Members include men. women, families, etc. There will be lots of resources for your wife to make friends, find a job (if she wants) in the area, and get involved with life on grounds. Check out the DPA's website from the Darden Website (look under Life at Darden and then Student Organizations)
2) Could you please share where are you living? How far are you from the school/markets
And what place would you recommend to live for a couple?
Searching in Darden's website I found: Copeley Hill Apartments and University Gardens. Are there any options?
A lot of students live in Ivy Gardens or Huntington Village. Those both have 1 and two bedroom options are are within walking distance from school. Some couples choose to live closer to downtown and live in either Walker Square or York Place. You'd need a car to travel to school if you lived at either of these complexes. The final option are more expensive, but very nice complexes of Jefferson Ridge and the Woodlands.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if I can answer any additional questions.

All the best,
DardenSY
Current Student
Send PM
DardenSY thank you for your time and answers!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
@IllustratorBlu
Darden has a lot to offer students interested in marketing. I pursued management/strategy consulting, so what I know about the marketing program is based on events that happen on grounds, classes I know are offered, and support the CDC and clubs offer. First off, you should check out all of the course offerings for first and second years in marketing. You can take classes that either focus more on B to C or B to B marketing.
https://www.darden.virginia.edu/web/MBA/ ... Marketing/

Next, the Marketing Club on grounds is great. They start the school year with a few Marketing 101 sessions, so that the FYs are informed about the nuanced differences between types of marketing. The FY marketing curriculum teaches marketing for a general management audience, so the club's events can help you figure out what about marketing you like, and what types of jobs for which you may want to recruit. The club also bring a number of speakers and host networking events throughout the year. One of the highlights is the Brand Challenge. Students form teams and represent a specific brand by constructing a booth/exhibit for the Brand Challenge expo. Judges vote, and top prizes are given for a number of activities. A lot of Darden students participate and attend.

Hopefully, this answers some of your questions. Please let me know if you have others.

Have a great weekend!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Marketing
Schools:dont know yet
Send PM
DardenSY wrote:
@IllustratorBlu
Darden has a lot to offer students interested in marketing. I pursued management/strategy consulting, so what I know about the marketing program is based on events that happen on grounds, classes I know are offered, and support the CDC and clubs offer. First off, you should check out all of the course offerings for first and second years in marketing. You can take classes that either focus more on B to C or B to B marketing.
https://www.darden.virginia.edu/web/MBA/ ... Marketing/

Next, the Marketing Club on grounds is great. They start the school year with a few Marketing 101 sessions, so that the FYs are informed about the nuanced differences between types of marketing. The FY marketing curriculum teaches marketing for a general management audience, so the club's events can help you figure out what about marketing you like, and what types of jobs for which you may want to recruit. The club also bring a number of speakers and host networking events throughout the year. One of the highlights is the Brand Challenge. Students form teams and represent a specific brand by constructing a booth/exhibit for the Brand Challenge expo. Judges vote, and top prizes are given for a number of activities. A lot of Darden students participate and attend.

Hopefully, this answers some of your questions. Please let me know if you have others.

Have a great weekend!

your post was helpful. not sure what kind of marketing i like.
i have been drawing/writing ad ideas on my ad notebooks. creative marketing?

Anyway, going to add Darden on my list. applying in 2011.
going to have a nice look into the Darden marketing program, and going to bug the marketing club for information and such and such in the coming weeks.

happy Halloween +1 kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
I have a question.
I know you can't say for sure, but how is the chance to get a financial help? I am an International student in US and I am looking for at least tuition waive. Is it possible ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
parisas wrote:
I have a question.
I know you can't say for sure, but how is the chance to get a financial help? I am an International student in US and I am looking for at least tuition waive. Is it possible ?

Could you answer this question DardenSy? Thank you very much
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Hi DardenSY, I had a question in regards to pets. Is UVA or Charlottesville pretty pet-friendly? I have a dog with me right now and would love to bring him along to my new destination, wherever that may be. Are the apartments around Darden pet-friendly?
GMAT Club Bot