Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 03:02 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 03:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Columbia (matriculating 2013), Booth (admitted), Wharton (WL)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Marketing & Entrepreneurship
Schools:UCLA Anderson FEMBA Class of 2014
Send PM
Re: Gifts for recommenders [#permalink]
Perfect timing for this post as I'm looking for gifts too. Did you guys gift wrap the gift or just give it in like gift bag?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Schools:Cambridge (R2-Matriculating), Nyenrode (Accepted), Oxford (R2-Interview invite)
 Q46  V41
WE 1: Army officer (Corps of Engineers)
WE 2: Air Quality Control Engineer
WE 3: Water Resources Engineer
Send PM
Amazing timing. I was just logging on to see if I could find any tips regarding this topic.

What about personalized gifts? I don't want to get too cheesy and I want to get something they would actually use / enjoy, but was thinking of getting them something with their undergraduate school logo. Or something relating to golf (at least 2 of the 3 golf).

The other issue I face is that all the people who are writing my recommendation letters live across the country, so I can't exactly bring it to them personally. Rather, it's going to have to be something that is sent in the mail. Thus, if the gift was more personalized, then I was hoping that might make up for the lack of personalized delivery.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
I think anything of value in a layperson's view (which is, of course, respective) should be fine. Given your budget, besides wine, Godiva chocolates and gift cards are also things that can be well received.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:R1: Berkeley, Stanford, Yale, Michigan, Kellogg, Duke
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
i gave one of my recommenders a bottle of pisco and plan on giving the other a gift card to one of his favorite restaurants.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
The problem with gift cards is that it's like giving cash and that can be insulting. if any of you have read Dan Ariely's Predictably Irrational you will know where I am going. I liked the dipped fruit idea. I was thinking about giving a fruit basket to one of my recommenders who is a mother of young children. I like to give gifts that the receiver will use; that will be worth more than their monetary value to the person and reflect a lot of thought.

I am finding it hard to gift my male recommenders. Both of them dont strike me as wine drinkers. One is a runner. The other recently became healthy eater; think lean meats etc. I am thinking of exploring gifts down that path. Any ideas for gifts for a runner and a healthy eater.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [1]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Kudos
I'm giving my recommenders Four Loko. The old version, not the new and improved version.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
got one a silver oaks cabernet and the other starcraft 2 haha.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:R1: Berkeley, Stanford, Yale, Michigan, Kellogg, Duke
Send PM
smileyface wrote:
The problem with gift cards is that it's like giving cash and that can be insulting. if any of you have read Dan Ariely's Predictably Irrational you will know where I am going. I liked the dipped fruit idea. I was thinking about giving a fruit basket to one of my recommenders who is a mother of young children. I like to give gifts that the receiver will use; that will be worth more than their monetary value to the person and reflect a lot of thought.

I am finding it hard to gift my male recommenders. Both of them dont strike me as wine drinkers. One is a runner. The other recently became healthy eater; think lean meats etc. I am thinking of exploring gifts down that path. Any ideas for gifts for a runner and a healthy eater.

good point re gift cards. i might use the fruit basket idea then.

ideas for a gift for a runner: a one year's pass to a running club?
healthy eater: hmm i can only think of that edible fruit flower basket thing or some other sort of organic fruit/food basket. maybe a year's supply of organic food delivery from a local farm?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Schools:McCombs (acc w/$) (Kellogg(WL), Haas(WL - ding), Anderson(WL-WD), Owen (acc w/$$)
GMAT 2: 720
Send PM
Kudos
I gave a $25 gift certificate to Kiva.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Schools:Cambridge (R2-Matriculating), Nyenrode (Accepted), Oxford (R2-Interview invite)
 Q46  V41
WE 1: Army officer (Corps of Engineers)
WE 2: Air Quality Control Engineer
WE 3: Water Resources Engineer
Send PM
Kudos
smileyface wrote:

As a runner, getting a gift for a runner can be tough because what each person likes is so individualized. This is true for clothing, food, accessories, etc. If you know of something this person wants, like a specific type of MP3 player, or you know what types of shirts he wears (material, sleeve length, size), then you could get something along those lines. If he's got a sense of humor, One More Mile has some great stuff. And you can always include a gift receipt so they can exchange it. This, however, is easier with a local store so they don't have to ship something back.

Other ideas, again, if you know them well enough, are, like bei recommended, a membership to a gym or to a local running club. Or perhaps a one-year subscription to Runner's World (which is a fabulous magazine - if he's an avid runner and he doesn't already subscribe, I can almost guarantee that he would appreciate this).

If he runs while listening to music or audio books, you can put a variety of good running music or an audio book or two on a flash drive. You can also try getting him SnuggBuds - they're these pretty cool headphones that apparently don't fall out of your ears while you're running. I just bought my first pair, but haven't tried them yet.

If he's running a long race soon (1/2 marathon or longer), you can get him a sports massage gift certificate.

As for the health food person, that's also sorta tough, but potentially a bit easier. A compilation of healthy recipes would be an easy one. You can buy a cookbook, compile your favorite recipes into a Word document, or create a cookbook online (if you do a Google search, there will be some options).

You can also buy him a membership to a local natural foods store or co-op (if he's not a member and if you have one of those in your area), you can buy him something for the kitchen (a casserole dish or a really good knife - I just bought my first really good knife and what a difference it makes!), or you can cook him a healthy casserole dish (something he can cut up into multiple portions and freeze). Or you can try getting him something that will make it easier for him to bring his lunch with him every day so he doesn't have to eat out as often. A nifty "lunchbox", some tupperware, a thermos - not really sure, guess it depends on what type of food he eats. Or you could make him some homemade salad dressing.

Or you can take him to lunch or dinner at a restaurant that's known for their healthy, natural food.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
The Edible Arrangements stuff is wrapped and comes with a nice little card on it as well - so no additional wrapping required on your part.

Also, one of my recommenders was a guy but he loved the fruit because his kids (toddlers) loved it when he took it home.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
what would you offer to a three recomenders located in NY, Johannesburg and Hong Kong? Kind of difficult :/
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
I'm trying to think of something outside of the box. But nevertheless, great suggestions!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Schools:Booth class of 2013
 Q51  V44
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 6 yrs product development (tech)
Send PM
@smileyface: Good point on the "value" attached to a gift card.

Great suggestions, everyone. I'll be presenting my recommenders with good port wine - works well for the holidays too.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
BigRedEnvEng wrote:
smileyface wrote:

As a runner, getting a gift for a runner can be tough because what each person likes is so individualized. This is true for clothing, food, accessories, etc. If you know of something this person wants, like a specific type of MP3 player, or you know what types of shirts he wears (material, sleeve length, size), then you could get something along those lines. If he's got a sense of humor, One More Mile has some great stuff. And you can always include a gift receipt so they can exchange it. This, however, is easier with a local store so they don't have to ship something back.

Other ideas, again, if you know them well enough, are, like bei recommended, a membership to a gym or to a local running club. Or perhaps a one-year subscription to Runner's World (which is a fabulous magazine - if he's an avid runner and he doesn't already subscribe, I can almost guarantee that he would appreciate this).

If he runs while listening to music or audio books, you can put a variety of good running music or an audio book or two on a flash drive. You can also try getting him SnuggBuds - they're these pretty cool headphones that apparently don't fall out of your ears while you're running. I just bought my first pair, but haven't tried them yet.

If he's running a long race soon (1/2 marathon or longer), you can get him a sports massage gift certificate.

As for the health food person, that's also sorta tough, but potentially a bit easier. A compilation of healthy recipes would be an easy one. You can buy a cookbook, compile your favorite recipes into a Word document, or create a cookbook online (if you do a Google search, there will be some options).

You can also buy him a membership to a local natural foods store or co-op (if he's not a member and if you have one of those in your area), you can buy him something for the kitchen (a casserole dish or a really good knife - I just bought my first really good knife and what a difference it makes!), or you can cook him a healthy casserole dish (something he can cut up into multiple portions and freeze). Or you can try getting him something that will make it easier for him to bring his lunch with him every day so he doesn't have to eat out as often. A nifty "lunchbox", some tupperware, a thermos - not really sure, guess it depends on what type of food he eats. Or you could make him some homemade salad dressing.

Or you can take him to lunch or dinner at a restaurant that's known for their healthy, natural food.

I wasn't following this thread so I didn't know I got quite a number of awesome replies. Thank you for your ideas. Will look into them.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: IT Strategy
Schools:Booth R2, Kellogg R2 (W/L - withdrawn)
 Q49  V47
GPA: 3.9
WE 1: Big 4 IT Auditing
Send PM
Maybe I didn't need to spend this much, but I got each of my recommenders a $100 gift certificate to a nice restaurant. I figured it should be at least $100 to be able to pay for them + a spouse and wine. The worst thing would be to give something that requires further cost on their part.
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4