Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 01:36 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 01:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Schools:Ross
 Q50  V45
GPA: 2.7
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Marketing & Entrepreneurship
Schools:UCLA Anderson FEMBA Class of 2014
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Is It Possible To Be Successful Without... [#permalink]
thisguy310 wrote:
I know people who are great students but terrible in the professional world, and vice versa. I would say your academic record is not the end all to a good job, but like sanlitun said, it is one big indicator and sometimes the only one if you are coming out of undergrad.

The question is what can I do to overcome my lack of academic credentials? I truly believe I have much more to offer than what my grades and school brand name imply, but you need to do well at your first job to have other opportunities open up and I'm really worried that because of my lower grades tons of doors have just slammed shut and I'll never be able to open them again.

I'm also not cocky enough to believe that I will be the next Jeffrey Immelt or Henry Kravis. I know what I'm capable of and realistic about them. While I probably won't be a BSD at a top Wall Street firm or an executive of a F500 company, I don't think that I'm destined to be stuck as an entry level "financial analyst" at a tiny, private company in Idaho where even the "CEO" makes <100k a year either. I think that at the very least, I am capable enough to be an upper level manager of a business at a F500 or become the CFO of a smaller, more regional company. I also don't care about making tons of money and I'd be perfectly happy with a 45-60 hr a week job that allows me to eventually make more than 6 figures. Unfortunately, I don't even see this as being possible because of my academics and that's why I'm wondering if its still possible to make a decent salary, get promoted within a company, etc. without having to go to an ivy and working at McKinsey, Goldman or a Big 4 Accounting firm right out of undergrad
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 521 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Send PM
Well, as an older person I can tell you that of course it is possible to be successful without being a nerd or depending solely on luck.

Your academic grades will fade away in importance as the years pass. So don't become depressed if you are having a hard quarter.

My current boss hasn't finish yet his undergraduate degree, and the organization is paying him the way to get it before he becomes 40. He is not really skillful as an administrator either. But somehow he managed to leverage his relationships with higher level officials and he has a great job security that doesn't depend on his undergrad success neither in his actual performance. Of course I wouldn't say he is successful, but it's just an example.

In the corporation world, there are some basic skills that determine your success:
- Proficiency in your field. Your undergrad grades will play hard here only for the first year. But I've also seen may mediocre students become excellent professionals in their fields after some experience (thanks to motivation, continued training, etc). Your supervisors will really discover your potential not because of your grades, but because of how you perform on the job.
- Perseverance, commitment, hard work.
- Political skills. As mentioned in the previous example, far too many people go up because they purposely manage their relationships with their supervisors. I know when you are young you don't like it, but at least you shouldn't damage your own chances. You should know at least when to keep your mouth shut, if you can't say the right words at the right time. Interestingly though, I remember that in undergrad some students improved their grades or prevented some bad grades using similar techniques with the teachers.

Well, just a short list that I can think of now. Of course there are many more factors, such as specific opportunities, but those lack and are not equal to everyone.

In short, my message is: don't over think it, enjoy your undergrad, try to do better but don't become depressed about your current bad performance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
HI,

If I can add a little something here - I think your in the best of situations ! Can it get any worse ?? If you think your so low the only way is the way upwards !

Think about it How would you want to see yourself 5 Years from now

1) As a guy born with a silver spoon (connections), who had so much money and then just did not know how to manage it and himself !

2) As a guy who has had almost nothing - but then understood that he needs to have his dreams fulfilled and felt bad for a while ( which is not unusual), but then thought about getting better , and simply was clever enough to know his strengths ( Hard work/ Dedication/ Sharp memory/ Warm in nature etc) and then worked more on his strengths and focussed hard enough to be able to catapult himself into the elite category !!

To add to wise insights from the other posts - I believe your looking at the world from the foothill part of it . Not unusual , we can get real low and that does not feel good. But then am sure you know that most achievers and good, great men / women were there where you are now .. otherwise they would not have gone to where they are now.

You have to pull yourself up and focus and for a while stop thinking about ''studs'' & ''diamonds'' . Trust me - Hardwork, Dedication , Drive to excel and eagerness to learn every single day are not easy things to have but once you have them - Bill Gates / Carlos Slim Helu would want to give you a Job , forget all that as you move forward who knows you could own a business Yourself and many top academic performers would want to get into your unit !

Dream BIG my friend and you would wake up happy to pursue your dreams !!

Dreams apart I would suggest - If your still at college, focus first on your studies, and aim for the best Job you want, In case you don't get it , Go for the one thats available, its only a start , trust me people can stop you from getting into the best Jobs but no can stop you from doing the BEST you can in any Job you take up and that my friend would be your first lesson .

Good Luck. :-D
GMAT Club Bot