Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 00:00 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 00:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [0]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools:Terry, Georgia Tech
 Q50  V40
GPA: 7.87
WE 1: Working for Wipro Technologies since April 2010
Send PM
Re: Fatigue during Verbal Section [#permalink]
Kudos
rjdio wrote:
Thanks for your advice. I guess since everybody goes through it, it's part of the process and built into your score.

You can try something that worked very well for me :)

After the quant section, when you come out of the room for the break, just mentally rewind some points about the verbal section, and try not to contemplate at all about how you faired in the previous sections. You can think points like how to tackle SCs, some unique grammatical rules that you might have learnt etc.

All the best!
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 521 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Send PM
Well, one thing to consider is that when you do practice tests, you take them to know how your progress is. If you have problems focusing during the verbal section, and thus you believe that it's a lost exam because it doesn't really show your actual progress (it's generally not a good idea to practice when you are tired), if your exams allow it, you can switch the order of the quant and verbal sections and alternated between them. For example: first practice exam: quant and then verbal; second exam: verbal then quant, and so on.

During your preparation period, if your schedule allows it, try to study in longer blocks of time, as much as possible. It's better to study for 4 hours at once than study 2 hours in the morning and 2 in the evening. Even when the time spent is the same, working 4 consecutive hours will build your stamina. If possible, never study less than 2 and a half hours (75 min + 75 min), since that is the length of both sections combined. So a lot of effort goes in scheduling your study time.

For full practice exams: try to learn the AWA template early in your preparation. Many people leave it for the last days. But I think that if you are used to it and want to build stamina and practice full length exams comparable to the real thing, then it's better to do the AWA in each test. That way, after some tests, you can focus on purposely setting your mind on spending minimal intellectual energy on the AWA section, kind of cruising through on an automatic pilot mode. This way, you get to the later sections with some fuel left in the tank.

Of course, you also need make a conscious effort to fight fatigue and lack of focus during your study and practice tests. That's the only way to increase stamina after some time.

I hope this tips will help you!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Appreciate your advice. It really helps. Im also learning more about myself. Ten years ago as en engineering undergrad, I had a lot more mental stamina. Many times I wondered, why I could'nt perform similarly. Even though Im still physically as fit, for sure some of those grey cells have gone for a hike.

Will report back, G-day is around the corner.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10038 [0]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
No-no, it's not only about your gray cells. I failed first time because of Verbal - I was so tired and it was very difficult to concentrate. I've scheduled my second GMAT in a month and got the best I could get in Verbal. So, here is my recipe:

- don't study day before exam. Just 5-10 min warm up in morning.
- fight for each question. At each particular moment, there are only one question that holds a couple of valuable points and separates you from your dream, and ~2 min. Anything else is irrelevant. Be a bit angry :) Think of each question as the most interesting and valuable information you've been looked for whole life. Trick your mind as interest = concentration, no interest = fatigue and boredom.

After my GMAT, I thought I could take one more without break.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Send PM
Take an energy drink during the break.
GMAT Club Bot