Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 12:39 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 12:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink]
Thanks Whiplash for the excellent review.Purchased the book today on reading this review. Don't you think that the review should be updated as now the second edition comes with a Questionbank,so the 2nd point in the Cons doesn't hold true now.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
 Q39  V20
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Friends,
Does this RC book have strategies as well or is it only the practise questions ? Please pardon my ignorance :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
heygirl wrote:
Friends,
Does this RC book have strategies as well or is it only the practise questions ? Please pardon my ignorance :-D

This is the thread for discussions about the SC Grail. Here is the link for the RC99 review thread, you can post your RC queries here - review-of-rc99-by-aristotle-prep-107742.html .

To answer your question RC99 has 99 practice passages only, it does not contain any strategies as such.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
I think I'll buy the book based on the reviews in this thread. Have already gone through Manhattan SC twice but end up getting confused in a lot of the topics like Subjunctives and Modifiers. My only worry is that I have heard that the SC Grail doesn't go into the details, so do you guys think this book would help me get more clarity on topics?

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Send PM
bob75 wrote:
I think I'll buy the book based on the reviews in this thread. Have already gone through Manhattan SC twice but end up getting confused in a lot of the topics like Subjunctives and Modifiers. My only worry is that I have heard that the SC Grail doesn't go into the details, so do you guys think this book would help me get more clarity on topics?

Thanks

Dude the SC Grail doesn't go into the details that you don't need to know. Otherwise it pretty much covers everything. If you want the details of grammar you already have manhattan sc guide, use this book as a ready reckoner to give you a quick idea of what works and what doesn't work on the GMAT.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.59
WE:Corporate Finance (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
bob75 wrote:

Thanks

I went through both simultaneously after one read through of MGMAT SC. I thought Grail helped clarify areas in MGMAT SC, since MGMAT SC gets bogged down into details.

Personally, I find the SC Grail 100 questions of low quality, but the guide is pretty useful.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Quote:
I went through both simultaneously after one read through of MGMAT SC. I thought Grail helped clarify areas in MGMAT SC, since MGMAT SC gets bogged down into details.

Personally, I find the SC Grail 100 questions of low quality, but the guide is pretty useful.

I think the questions are more of a mixed bag - some are difficult and some are easy. I think they work more from the point of view of clarifying the concepts tested in the Grail, those pg. no. references in the answer explanations really come in handy.

Overall I think the book is quite good, everytime I go through it I learn something new.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Finally bought the book and went through the whole thing in 4 hours (except the Q bank of course :-D )

I like the way the book is structured, all the important rules are pointed out clearly in bullet points. I actually liked the basic grammar review section in the beginning of the book a lot because it helped me brush up my knowledge of basic terms such as adjectives and adverbs. Always thought adverbs modify verbs, never thought they could modify adjectives as well. Guess its been a long time out of school :lol:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Marketing, Entreprenurship
Schools:Tepper, McCombs, Kelley, Darden, Andersen
 Q50  V28 GMAT 2: 730  Q51  V40
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
heygirl wrote:
Friends,

This is hilarious! You've made a SC book an RC book ! :-D
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Can someone who has completed the book guide me on how to do the question bank. Should I do the questions as I do the concepts or should I complete all the concepts first and go to the question bank in the end?

Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
 Q39  V20
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
shovitdhar wrote:
heygirl wrote:
Friends,

This is hilarious! You've made a SC book an RC book ! :-D

:-D :-D
Shovitdhar, I meant to post it for RC but since the discussions was about Aristotle books , which have SC and RC books , I decided to just post here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Has someone used e-GMAT? I'd appreciate if veterans can review it as well.

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1332 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
the kindle edition doesnt do the job :( . buy the second edition
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Send PM
bob75 wrote:
Can someone who has completed the book guide me on how to do the question bank. Should I do the questions as I do the concepts or should I complete all the concepts first and go to the question bank in the end?

Thanks

I think you should first go through the first three sections of the book a couple of times. Try the questions after this and irrespective of whether you get a question correct or incorrect, go through its explanation just to see if you could identify all the errors correctly. Also most answer explanations have a pg no. reference to some concept discussed in the book, go back to that page and go through that concept once again. This will reinforce the concepts in your head.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Quote:
I think you should first go through the first three sections of the book a couple of times. Try the questions after this and irrespective of whether you get a question correct or incorrect, go through its explanation just to see if you could identify all the errors correctly. Also most answer explanations have a pg no. reference to some concept discussed in the book, go back to that page and go through that concept once again. This will reinforce the concepts in your head.

Good luck!

Thanks buddy :-D

That's exactly what I've been doing. Have completed around 70 questions with a 85-90% accuracy rate; is that decent?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Send PM
Quote:
Thanks buddy :-D

That's exactly what I've been doing. Have completed around 70 questions with a 85-90% accuracy rate; is that decent?

85-90% is decent but keep in mind that the questions in the Grail aren't of a very high difficulty level. Try practicing some questions from the Kaplan Advanced book or maybe even from the Brutal SC doc and see how you are performing.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Quote:
85-90% is decent but keep in mind that the questions in the Grail aren't of a very high difficulty level. Try practicing some questions from the Kaplan Advanced book or maybe even from the Brutal SC doc and see how you are performing.

Thanks man, will keep u posted :)
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4