Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 12:08 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 12:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
nothing so far, got couple of interview but both ended up in a negative note(although not any of them were from my dream school or so).
I did not apply to top 10. My reach school was Rochester, and from whogotin.com got toknow that they have made couple of offers. But I have not heard from them yet! Hoping for some miracle.
Another school I was aiming for ( for some particular reasons) was INSEAD. Again, I have not heard anything from them.

Anyone knows whether they(insead) have released the finance offers ( I believe they have) or not? This is the school I really want to go.

And congrats to ROY and WAKABA again!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Wakaba,

Do you mind sharing the schools that you applied for?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Congrats to Roy, Soulutions and others who have got a call.....

My question to you Soulution specifically,

Why have you decided to withdraw other applications, I know Ohio State University is a great place but I think you had applied to some top 10 places as well. Wouldn't it have been better to wait for their results?

as far as I am concerned, no news yet. Most of the places I have applied to are saying mid march to end of March. Keeping my fingers crossed.

All the best guys
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Promothesh-

Believe it or not, OSU was my top choice. I sent you a private message with some additional detail.

Any news on your end?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Soulutions,

Congratz!!

OSU is a good school. It is nice to know that you got into your top choice. :)

Sleek
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi SOulutions,

I sent youa private message!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
U Mich interview [#permalink]
I got an extremely math-intensive interview from u of Mich. Is that considered to be usual? That is my first and only interview so far. Also, normally once you have interview, what is the chance that you will get in? the interview went bad for me because I have not been in school for a few years. However, I really want to go to U Mich

Any advice would be appreciated
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 839 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Interviews usually focus on clearing the aspects that the school is not sure about. Perhaps your SOP gives an indication of your interest of Quantitative subjects in which case it was to check up on it.

Michigan is selective in its interviewing, couple of my friends had their interviews and then firm offers from Michigan. In general also, an interview is a very good signal of school's interest in you because if they haven't made the final shortlist, they will not call up. Also Michigan is friendly towards people with work experience. All signs seem positive - So best of luck ! :-D
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
hey Sameer, thanks for ur kind word. This is something that I desperately need in this moment of waiting.... Long wait. Applied to several top school but only get one interview.

I am quite worry about the phone call from U Mich. they caught me off guard. and I am applying to SMS (Stat and Mgmt Sci) and that surely has a lot of math. I have been working in the industry for several years, so even I am good at math in university, my math tends to fade away. U Mich mentioned that it is good to review my math again and it may be too early for me go to PhD if my Math is not up to speed.....
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
That's standard retort from profs for people who have been working so I wouldn't worry about that. Sure PhD maths is not basic and it does take time to get upto speed. But it can be done when you are in the program, I do not think any prof in his/her right mind would like applicants to spend one year just reviewing maths - that would be absurd. I think you got a pretty tough nut as interviewer :-D
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Wow, I haven't visited this site in a while. Quite a bit of message(which I've gone through most). Anyhow, I've been trying to preoccupy myself with other things and not think too much about the decisions - and decisions are coming in.

so far, not so good, got 7 rejections, and 1 waitlist(HBS) for quant marketing. Waiting to hear from MIT(top choice) and NYU and Columbia.

Anyone have news about marketing?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am placed onto the UCLA PhD wait list and will only know the decision by May 1. That is a bit late. I thought that schools will know by april 15. And I know that some schools asked me to accept by April 15. UCLA is a good school and I would love to get into. So what should I do? can I push them to give me decision by April 15? Anyone have experience?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am in a bit of a quandary here and would greatly appreciate any advice/suggestions.
I have applied to two schools ,
School 1 the higher ranked one in Marketing
School 2 in MIS
I called up school 1 , the Program director informed me that I was waitlisted and spoke quiet nicely. In course of the conversation he offered to recommend me to the Mktg program in School 2 where he has close contacts , however I didnt want to tell him that I have applied for another specialization in the other school without thinking it out further :? . He repeated his offer a couple of times. I called School 2 and they are still in process of decision making and would do so in a couple of weeks.
This is what I am trying to figure out.
The offer for recommendation may mean that I am not at the top of the waitlist in School 1 so the chances of getting in are tough.
Should I call him again and ask if he has any contacts with the MIS dept and if he can use them.
Will that jeopardise my chances at School 1 or School 2 ( more importantly )
How seriously will either of them take my applying to two different specializations.

I have a background in both Marketing research and MIS and just went by the profile of each dept and applied to the one I found most interesting.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Chez,

I wouldn't advise you to talk to prof. There is very little leeway in PhD admission decisions at a university level for outside interference. It is difficult for someone from another department to influence anything in a particular department (in the same university). So I am not sure what the Prof means by his/her offer.

This is quite unusual really, but if I were you, I would call up again only to reaffirm my interest in the particular school. Cross talks cannot help, they can only worsen the situation.

Cheers and Best of Luck !!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Sameer ,
Thanks for the response.
Btw , he offered to call the same department in another university and the way he said it was like he was on first name basis with some professors there and it wouldnt be unusual for him to do it.
Yes , I too found the offer quiet unusual and therefore have been non commital about it. I will certainly call up again and reaffirm my interest in as you suggested, and in the meantime wait and see if there are any more suggestions. :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Sameer wrote:
Hi Chez,

I wouldn't advise you to talk to prof. There is very little leeway in PhD admission decisions at a university level for outside interference. It is difficult for someone from another department to influence anything in a particular department (in the same university). So I am not sure what the Prof means by his/her offer.

I've been waitlisted at a school, and it seems their #1 question to me is which other schools I've been accepted to. I've expressed interest in the school over other schools. It seems that if I was accepted to others, they would want me, and the opposite is true as well? The question seemed quite evil and devious in nature, and I wish we didn't have to play these games. Can some one shine some light into this?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
hi tunape

So what would your recommendation be when a school that you wait-list ask you what other school has accept you? this is a tough call and it sounds very much like coporate America
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2   3   4   5   6   
Moderator:
Board of Directors
4391 posts