Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 07:05 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 07:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Georgia Tech MBA fall 2011 [#permalink]
Oh k... Thanks for ur reply.But did u have such kinda status ever? How long did it take for u to receive an admit notice?

Thanks

accepted wrote:
sesha07 wrote:
Hi Accepted,

Congratulation on your admit.

I have also applied to GA tech MBA fall 2011.I submitted my application in the sec week of jan 2011.
My status still show,"Pre Evaluation - Decision Pending"
What does this mean?

Thanks

i am not an expert,, but i think it means that your application has not been read.. . but again thats my take on it.. i may be wrong.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I recently interviewed and was admitted into the GT's Fall 2011 program. Interview was an hour long. The fist 15-20 mins was about myself and resume and job experience. Then, they gave me a case study. Speaking with other alumni, I know the case study was unusual. It was a hypothetical scenario--I would classify it as a behavioral interview question type... "given a certain situation and your peers have a certain point of view, what would you do and how would you respond.." The purpose of this question is to discover your personal values, character, moral, personality.

BTW, I am planning on going to the April 2, admit day event. It actually sounds like a lot of fun.
Good luck to your GMATs and admissions!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi heather208,

Thats cool,congrats:)....

Betw when did u submit the application? what did ur application status show before interview?
I did it in the second week of Jan and still the status shows pre evaluation! Little worried:(

Are u an international applicant? your reply would be helpful...

Thanks in advance... Have a good one

heather208 wrote:
I recently interviewed and was admitted into the GT's Fall 2011 program. Interview was an hour long. The fist 15-20 mins was about myself and resume and job experience. Then, they gave me a case study. Speaking with other alumni, I know the case study was unusual. It was a hypothetical scenario--I would classify it as a behavioral interview question type... "given a certain situation and your peers have a certain point of view, what would you do and how would you respond.." The purpose of this question is to discover your personal values, character, moral, personality.

BTW, I am planning on going to the April 2, admit day event. It actually sounds like a lot of fun.
Good luck to your GMATs and admissions!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
sesha07 wrote:
Oh k... Thanks for ur reply.But did u have such kinda status ever? How long did it take for u to receive an admit notice?

Thanks

accepted wrote:
sesha07 wrote:
Hi Accepted,

Congratulation on your admit.

I have also applied to GA tech MBA fall 2011.I submitted my application in the sec week of jan 2011.
My status still show,"Pre Evaluation - Decision Pending"
What does this mean?

Thanks

i am not an expert,, but i think it means that your application has not been read.. . but again thats my take on it.. i may be wrong.

Sesha07, my application status never went through that status. Or may be it did while I was not checking my statuses ;). I did not check the status xtremely frequently as it only increases anxiety. i recently spoke to the admissions office and right now they are very busy with the application process as the second deadline has just passed. so you might have to wait a little before hearing back from them.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
That's right.... I will :)...

Accepted just to know, wat is ur profile like?
What is generally the profile of candidates accepted? Others who have been admitted,pls let us know the info.

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
sesha07 wrote:
That's right.... I will :)...

Accepted just to know, wat is ur profile like?
What is generally the profile of candidates accepted? Others who have been admitted,pls let us know the info.

Thanks.

I have a 720 and working for a blue chip company in US as an IT consultant. Total Ex: 4 + 2 yrs of outside US experience.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Sesha07,

I applied Jan 15, submitted final stuff (Recommendation Letters, Gmat score) on Feb 15th. I received an email at beginning of March. I applied to the evening program, so I believe they have different criterias.

I have 7 years of work experience. Gmat score was 620. I have 2 degrees--Bachelors & Masters in Science.

I admit I have a relatively low score compared to the GA Tech applicant pool. We discussed my GMAT score in the interview as being an issue because it is not so competitive.

It seemed to me that they are looking for students who are going to be very marketable after the MBA program. Thus, it is important to get good work experience. Sure, they look for good GPA, and high GMAT-- but these are the basics. The biggest question in their mind is, how marketable are you? Are you going to be appealing to recruiters? Thus, interview is important and it is important for your personality to really shine through. You have to be yourself, at the same time, you must be prepared and "sell yourself". I spent approximately 15 hours preparing--- on and off--- I did a lot of research online and had a friend interview me in a simulated environment. My friend happens to be a manager at a large firm, so he really made me go through the process. I was more nervous interviewing with him than at the real interview! Preparation is key.

Good luck, Sesha-- don't worry too much. I hope you applied to other schools...this would definitely help ease some of that anxiety--right? Keep all your options open. Cheers!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
heather208 wrote:
Hi Sesha07,

I applied Jan 15, submitted final stuff (Recommendation Letters, Gmat score) on Feb 15th. I received an email at beginning of March. I applied to the evening program, so I believe they have different criterias.

I have 7 years of work experience. Gmat score was 620. I have 2 degrees--Bachelors & Masters in Science.

I admit I have a relatively low score compared to the GA Tech applicant pool. We discussed my GMAT score in the interview as being an issue because it is not so competitive.

It seemed to me that they are looking for students who are going to be very marketable after the MBA program. Thus, it is important to get good work experience. Sure, they look for good GPA, and high GMAT-- but these are the basics. The biggest question in their mind is, how marketable are you? Are you going to be appealing to recruiters? Thus, interview is important and it is important for your personality to really shine through. You have to be yourself, at the same time, you must be prepared and "sell yourself". I spent approximately 15 hours preparing--- on and off--- I did a lot of research online and had a friend interview me in a simulated environment. My friend happens to be a manager at a large firm, so he really made me go through the process. I was more nervous interviewing with him than at the real interview! Preparation is key.

Good luck, Sesha-- don't worry too much. I hope you applied to other schools...this would definitely help ease some of that anxiety--right? Keep all your options open. Cheers!

I totally agree with heather208. Georgia Tech is a rising business school and one sure way to rise faster is by getting all the students placed and therefore getting a high rank in 'employability'. If you have noticed GT business school was ranked #2 by business week in terms of overall employment %. And that is the reason career services are also involved in the admissions process. They make sure that the incoming students can easily find a job when they are leaving the school after 2 years. Rank is "very" important for GT business school as they are relatively a younger school compared to some top 20 business schools in the country.

I spoke with few current students at GT and was very happy to hear the placement stories. Few of the 2nd year students at GT have already been offered jobs with salaries close to 120K, which is awesome! I heard walmart was also hiring for internships this summer and Google/Microsoft also interviewed a few students for their summer internship programs. but dont know the results of those interviews.

make sure you sell yourself to the interviewer just like you would sell yourself to your employers 1.5 yrs from now ;). treat it as a job interview and you will do just fine.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Heather208 and Accepted,

Thank you so much for ur time and a detailed reply.... Ur replies give me some positive energy and hopes:)....
Will hope for the best.... Thank you so much again...

accepted wrote:
heather208 wrote:
Hi Sesha07,

I totally agree with heather208. Georgia Tech is a rising business school and one sure way to rise faster is by getting all the students placed and therefore getting a high rank in 'employability'. If you have noticed GT business school was ranked #2 by business week in terms of overall employment %. And that is the reason career services are also involved in the admissions process. They make sure that the incoming students can easily find a job when they are leaving the school after 2 years. Rank is "very" important for GT business school as they are relatively a younger school compared to some top 20 business schools in the country.

I spoke with few current students at GT and was very happy to hear the placement stories. Few of the 2nd year students at GT have already been offered jobs with salaries close to 120K, which is awesome! I heard walmart was also hiring for internships this summer and Google/Microsoft also interviewed a few students for their summer internship programs. but dont know the results of those interviews.

make sure you sell yourself to the interviewer just like you would sell yourself to your employers 1.5 yrs from now ;). treat it as a job interview and you will do just fine.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
To answer the person who asked about Georgia Tech's interview process, it was painless.

I was interviewed by Saby Mitra who is in charge of the program. It impressed me that senior management takes a real interest in the quality of applicants to the extent that they get involved in the interview process.

By comparison, I was accepted to Columbia University just before moving to Georgia for work-related reasons, and my experience through their application process was quite different. It was run by college kids mostly working part time to pay for their education.

To those considering Georgia Tech, here are some of my thoughts:

The thing that caused me to choose Tech was the technology focus of the MBA program. Since I work in the technology manufacturing area (my company manufactures surveillance cameras), it was a logical move for me to be at Tech. And I've heard people say the program is inhabited mostly by IT professionals, but the truth is they probably account for less than 1/3rd of the student population - which is still higher than GSU or Emory. But I am not one of them, instead, I am in sales and have very little IT experience.

Another thing I was really impressed with compared to my other school visits was the quality of the facilities. The school is immaculate, and the classrooms are laid-out with world class technology. I guess that makes sense for a technology school... I guess I just didn't like the old classrooms and buildings I experienced when visiting some of the other schools, even though on the outside they were very appealing.

But the most important distinction I think you need to make when considering Georgia Tech over another local school like Emory, or, like me, Columbia, is that the program really hones the business knowledge of people in technical fields to a degree not available from other schools - with the exception of maybe MIT which I have heard uses a similar approach. I personally needed more than just a high ranked school to grow my resume. With no plans to jump to another company any time soon, my primary reason for choosing Tech is that my company is a major engineering player and values technical backgrounds from its business managers.

I would say think about the growth areas in your own career, and think about what skills you will need to take that next leap. If you are content networking, attending a prestiguous school, and learning general business skills from your MBA - than you're probably just as marketable having attended any of the top 25 schools. But as a top 25 school with a technical focus, I really felt like Georgia Tech's MBA offered something unique.

I hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi all,

Has anybody got financial aid from GTech? How much are they offering?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Schools:UNC, UVA
 Q45  V42
Send PM
For anyone...when you received your assistantship packages, what sort of information did you receive. I only received a vague letter saying I would receive a partial assistantship, with no other information.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72899 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived Scheller Discussion
Hi there,
You've stumbled upon an old discussion from our Scheller Forum that's now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Interested in current discussions? Feel free to dive into our dedicated Scheller Forum for all fresh things related to the Scheller MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts