Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 08:41 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 08:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Fuqua
GMAT 2: 650
WE 1: Research in Neurology
WE 2: MORE research in Neurology
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Re: First Post: One week left until the GMAT [#permalink]
thanks for the replies!

I've tried using the score calculator, but it seems the estimates for Kaplan scores are a bit outdated. (based on old Kaplan scores which were alot lower than the real exam)

I understand that up until about November of 2010, Kaplan CATs were much harder and scored much lower than the real test. I spoke to the Kaplan instructor about that, and he said that in November of 2010, they revamped the entire course and CATs.

He said that their old strategy was to just make the CATs as hard as possible, but ever since they took over MGMAT, they've tried to incorporate more fundamentals into the course, and make the CATs more representative.

Now, I would actually say that quants on Kaplan CATs are significantly easier than both MGMAT and GMAT Prep. I would say their verbal is pretty solid. Close to the real thing. They are worded much better than MGMAT in my opinion.

Overall, I would say ranked by difficulty (easiest to hardest), the CATs are: Kaplan, GMAT Prep, MGMAT

I've noticed the difficulty level for MGMAT quants fluctuates quite alot. In some CATs the quant seems reasonable and I score 48, in other CATs it just seems ridiculously hard/long and I score 42.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Fuqua
GMAT 2: 650
WE 1: Research in Neurology
WE 2: MORE research in Neurology
Send PM
Honestly almost everyone sees the same thing, a range of 100 points for the most part, I know I did, and I went from Q45 down to Q42 back up to Q46, then on real test day I flopped and got Q42, had I reviewed some of my earlier quant MGMATs I think I could have made up for it and scored higher. MGMAT quants are plenty of material for test day. I honestly cannot attest to Kaplan except for their older pre-2011 CATs which were MUCH harder than the real exam ever was. Hope this helps :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
From all the test scores that I've seen and people's comments regarding MGMAT CATs, it seems like holding other factors constant, if a person is weak on quants, the MGMAT CATs generally underestimate the quant score, but overestimate the verbal score. Just an observation, but I notice that people whose native language is not english score similar if not slightly lower on the real GMAT than on MGMAT, while those who are strong in verbal but weaker in quants tend to score higher on the real thing than MGMAT CATs.

P.S. original post updated with today's GMAT Prep score. Kind of botched the verbal... slammed a redbull during the second break when I didnt really need it and it gave me serious jitters for the second half. Ran out of time on the last 2 questions. I'll update again once MGMAT CAT 5 is finished later tonight!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72922 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
You can check this: GMAT Score Calculator to get an idea of what your score can be expected in the best/worst scenario.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks bb!

I've been using that calculator with my MGMAT and GMAT Prep scores :-D It says I should be right on track to a 720

just about to start MGMAT CAT5. Lets see how this goes...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Update: Took my second CAT today (I'm so smoked right now). Suffice to say I won't be doing that again. Once just to test my stamina was enough...

Score updated on original post. GMAT Prep and MGMAT both gave me 740 today, so I'm relieved. Hope I can keep it up for the real deal
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Only TWO DAYS left!!!

Original Post updated with latest Kaplan, MGMAT and GMAT Prep CAT Scores (Including my first GMAT Prep Version 2). My goal is still 720+! I know I should be confident, but it all comes down to nerves now and I'm scared that nerves might get the better of me on test day and undermine my true ability.

One caveat: I noticed about 3 or 4 quant questions that I saw in GMAT Prep Version 1. I've scoured the forums in search of an explanation, but have found limited information. No repeats for verbal.

Further, both GMAT Prep Version 1 and Version 2 appear to have identical AWA. When I noticed this, I tried to re-download the latest GMAT Prep from mba.com but the installer only gave me options to "modify" "repair" and "remove", which leads me to believe I have the latest version installed.

I checked the software info to make sure both copies weren't the same version, and one says "Version 1.1" and the other says "Version 1.2"

are these the correct versions? I certainly hope I'm not using the same one because today and tomorrow are supposed to be dedicated to taking the latest GMAT Prep exams.

Any thoughts?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Can't answer your questions, but good luck on the exam. Just remember to breathe :D
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks! I'll definitely try.

Just took my last CAT before the real thing today. GMAT Prep Version 2 - CAT 2. Original post updated.

scored a 760 on both my latest GMAT Preps (Q49, V46) (Q50, V44), respectively.

My goal still hasn't changed from 720, but it sure would be awesome if I could pull of something higher!

Does anyone have any tips on what to do the day before (ie. tomorrow). My exam is this Saturday. I understand the general consensus is just to chill out and rest the brain, but would like an hour or two of practice questions hurt that much? Or is it better to do absolutely NO practice whatsoever?

Fingers crossed!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
There's a thread on that in "off topic discussions". I'm on my phone right now tho so I can't grab the link.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
good luck on your exam...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: One day left until the GMAT [#permalink]
Manager
Manager
Send PM
good reference thread jko
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
good luck on the exam
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72922 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
How did it go?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Yah tell us how you did...

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Send PM
Re: Devastated...710 (Q47, V40) [#permalink]
Kudos
I'm absolutely devastated guys...

I just got back from the testing center. 710 (Q47, V40). I'm so choked right now. I know the usual "its not a bad score", but considering my practice tests and the fact that verbal is supposed to be my strong point, I'm super depressed. I would have been able to come to terms with an inferior quant score... but this just adds insult to injury.

Feels like I've wasted a fantastic opportunity. especially feels like I've wasted a decent quant score on a sub-par verbal score.

This is just the score I DIDNT want to get, because its an awkward half-way score which makes deciding whether to take it again or not extremely difficult.

I would have been perfectly fine with a 720 and never taking it again... knowing that it was probably a couple of questions that made the difference just kills me.

I dont really know what else to say...I'm still dazed, depressed, angry, etc.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Devastated...710 (Q47, V40) [#permalink]
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37320 posts