Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 02:44 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 02:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Yale, Dartmouth, NYU, UCLA [#permalink]
socalmike wrote:
MC = Tuck by a mile
SE = Yale

I would pick Tuck personally unless $$ is involved

Why Tuck overall? Am I correct that Tuck is stronger in terms of academics/biz training?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Send PM
Tuck - because of it's overall MC placement is far better than Yale SOM.

As for non-profit, Yale has an edge with it's program and alumni in the field. However, even at Yale non-profit jobs will still be an off campus job search since they don't have the money or consistent need to come to campus and recruit. Not all non profit jobs are the same either in terms of what you will be doing functionally and the type of organization it is. For example, a strategy associate for the Clinton Global Health Initiative (with lots of money) is different than a marketing associate for a local inner city educational foundation in pay and job responsibilities. That being said, Tuck is clearly better for MC while only marginally disadvantaged compared to Yale in non-profits.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
LillyRose wrote:
socalmike wrote:
MC = Tuck by a mile
SE = Yale

I would pick Tuck personally unless $$ is involved

Why Tuck overall? Am I correct that Tuck is stronger in terms of academics/biz training?

the good think about Yale is that if you want to get in some sort of nonprofit they have a loan forgiveness program. I'm not too sure if this pertains to entrepreneurial endeavors as well, but loan forgiveness is definitely worthwhile.

MC-you can get in from Yale but all the big names recruit at Tuck. That's not to say you can't get in from Yale but you may have an easier time from Tuck. Now, if you don't want a big name then you can certainly do well out of Yale but Tuck is still better at MC.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Send PM
What's the cost differential BTW?

I would go to both admit weekends before making a decision.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hmm ... $$ at Tuck, free housing at SOM. Ultimately will cost about the same to go to either school, I think. All things being equal, I might prefer Yale b/c personal associations ... but I think it's rep is so-so while Tuck's is rock solid.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
LillyRose wrote:
Hmm ... $$ at Tuck, free housing at SOM. Ultimately will cost about the same to go to either school, I think. All things being equal, I might prefer Yale b/c personal associations ... but I think it's rep is so-so while Tuck's is rock solid.

Yale's reputation isn't so-so. It may not be as good as Tuck but that's not to say it's so-so. Anyway, I would go to the place where you think you would be happiest.
Stanford School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Schools:Booth
 Q48  V45
GPA: 3.39
Send PM
It looks like Tuck also has a loan forgiveness program for students interested in entering non-profit careers- check out the Allwin Intiative:
https://tuck-x5.dartmouth.edu/mba/academ ... nship.html

Social Enterprise is a very broad term, and career searches tend to be very individually driven. I would look at this in terms of which employers interest you and how each school might help you get access to those employers. That might offer you some better insights into which school would be a better fit.

More of a quality of life thing to think about - Yale is in New Haven, a small city, vs. Tuck, in decidedly rural New Hampshire. If aid $$$ and employer access look relatively equal, you can pick based on where you prefer to live or where you think you'll fit in better. Best of luck with your decision!
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
Both schools are pretty similar, with the noticeable exception of location. New Haven is a relatively small town (compared to NYC or Chicago), but it definitely has a more "urban" feel (bars, restaurants, condos, etc.). From what I understand, Tuck is completely the opposite.

This year's recruiting for MC at Yale (at least for summer internships) was noticeably higher than last year's, especially at the top 3 firms. I imagine that Tuck still holds an advantage in this regard, although I would say that the gap is closing.

Both schools emphasize their small knit community (given that the class size at both is among the smallest at top B schools). My biased opinion is Yale due to its location (1 hr 45 min train ride into midtown Manhattan), but if this isn't a huge factor for you (and if the $$ at Tuck is considerable), then I'd default to wherever you feel the best fit.
GMAT Club Bot