Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 23:41 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 23:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: Tepper (R2) , Johnson (R2) , Ross (R2) , Wharton (R2) , Kellogg (R2)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: Cornell (Johnson) vs. Carnegie Mellon (Tepper) [#permalink]
What is the recruiting situation like at both BSchools for consulting firms? I guess both have Consulting Clubs. I am aware that Johnson is PIMS, but surely Tepper must have more exchange options than WHU.

Any idea of Housing at both BSchools, on or off campus?

Location wise, Pittsburgh is better for travelling to interviews or treks. What is the fellowship programme like. Johnson has 20 Parks Fellows and they get edge/first dips in mentoring and jobs.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Mat - Thanks a lot for creating this thread.

All - I'm in the exact same position as MatGMAT. I have admits from Cornell and CMU. I got my final decision (waitlist from Yale) on Friday, so I am just now starting to dig in and research the pros and cons of these two schools. MatGMAT and I have exchanged a few PMs trying to help each other out.

I was fortunate enough to get invited to the Park Fellowship weekend in April so the outcome of those two days will probably be a heavy factor in my decision. Here are some of my initial thoughts though:

I did visit both campuses and liked CMU and Pittsburgh much more than Johnson and Ithaca. But you have to remember - it's only two years and then you are outta there. But I didn't think Johnson's facilities were bad at all as others have mentioned. I thought they were quite nice, actually.

For me, I think it is going to come down to recruiters and starting salaries. I have an MS in systems modeling, so I want to do economic/financial modeling for either an asset management firm or the economics arm of a consultancy. I was pleasantly surprised by Tepper's consulting placement/salaries but I was a little disappointed with the asset management placement/salaries (the median starting salary seemed quite low to me in the latest report). But I have yet to compare it with Johnson's stats.

I get the feeling that the curriculum at Tepper is more rigorous than that of Johnson. You are able to take way more electives. Economics electives are going to be very important to me - Tepper offers TONS but Johnson doesn't seem to offer any. I think Johnson mixes in the economics material with its offerings in finance.

Sorry, I'm rambling. But I wanted to spit out some thoughts. More to follow. Thanks to all.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks jock4mba and SDBall...

@jock4mba

- Placement in consulting is almost the same with Tepper at 18% and Johnson at 16% in 2010.
- I probably need to get in touch with Tepper regarding international opportunities
- Both schools offer on-campus housing...comparable cost and pretty much similar options
- I'm not eligible for Park fellowship since I'm not a US citizen :)

@SDBall
- Best of luck with the Park Fellowship...I think your decision will be much easier when you land it :)
- Looks like Tepper's quant. focus would be great for your background and target role. Obviously, the business analytics track comes to mind. If you mix that with the flexible electives offering, Tepper sounds more like a good choice. Also, the whole Cornell brand thing will be less of an edge if you're targeting the US market, where CMU and Tepper have a solid reputation and readily present recognition (i think?).
I think It'll probably come down to scholarship $ for you.

Thanks again and keep your thoughts flowing in!

Edit: found this really cool thread (thanks to everyone who has been involved) that sheds some light on Cornell
https://gmatclub.com/forum/battle-royale-johnson-vs-ross-vs-darden-76266.html
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Corp Fin
Schools:Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
 Q44  V42 GMAT 2: 710  Q47  V40
GPA: 1.87
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP & Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Send PM
Hey guys, sorry this is cursory and all over the place but just a few thoughts. Hope this helps a bit. A few things: there is no on-campus housing at Johnson. I've never heard someone think Pittsburg is greener than Ithaca, that's a first. The one thing you get in Ithaca is nature, up to you if that's the setting you prefer. You can absolutely get by in Ithaca without a car. The only place most people ever need to drive to is the grocery store and everyone carpools anyway. You get a free bus pass in your first year. Not sure that I'd call Ithaca classy but it's a decent collegetown - nothing to write home about. Johnson is very closely-knit and these are not just buzz words, we live the colalborative culture (not sure about CMU but I'd imagine it's pretty collaborative there as well).

You'd really want to dig up more info on this: Johnson has made huge strides this year in terms of recruiting for consulting. The Assistant Dean is a very talented woman who took Consulting recruiting to a new level and Johnson is now a top school for that. You should be able to dig up info on that. For instance, we got more offers from Bain than many schools traditionally considered to be strong in consulting. I don't know much about CMU unfortunately to offer a different perspective, but if consulting is what you are interested in, Johnson is a good place to be (and I'm not in sales mode here, just speaking in your best interest). So here you have it - the good and the bad. PM me if you want me to put you in touch with someone who knows more about consulting recruiting than I do.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I too am in the same boat.
Having a difficult time deciding between Tepper and Johnson because of their many similarities not least of which is a highly collaborative tight-knit culture.
Which school do people feel have a stronger Entrepreneurship program? or higher chance to get into Venture Capital?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bkrokad wrote:
I too am in the same boat.
Having a difficult time deciding between Tepper and Johnson because of their many similarities not least of which is a highly collaborative tight-knit culture.
Which school do people feel have a stronger Entrepreneurship program? or higher chance to get into Venture Capital?

BK, welcome to our club.

I don't know much about those concentrations. I was looking through the Johnson binder at lunch though so I can tell you that Johnson has a club called Big Red Ventures dedicated to VC. Johnson also has an immersion in Entr. and VC. So, advantage Johnson? I dunno.

Both universities have other schools within them that provide an opportunity for partnerships. I remember James Frick at CMU telling me that some MBAs partner up with engineers who have developed new products and aren't interested in the business side of things. I'm sure this could happen at Cornell though too.

EDIT***: That club might actually be dedicated to Private Equity and the immersion might be Private Equity too. I'm not sure.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
The thread is gaining some momentum...good!

According to some johnson web-pages, they do have on-campus housing...may be limited availability though
https://www.johnson.cornell.edu/Academic ... e.aspx#q15
https://www.campuslife.cornell.edu/campu ... ousing.cfm

Another thread with info (bashing?) on Cornell:
darden-vs-cornell-94811.html

@ Ariel
Thank you for putting my mind at ease regarding green Ithaca :)
I live in one of the busiest metropolitan areas in the world...so some green would be a welcome change!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I just read through the Darden vs. Cornell thread from last year. It definitely reiterated one of my biggest concerns about Cornell, that the classes are on the easy side and not very quantitative. I'm hoping that someone can rebuttal that. But I attended an investment course on my interview day and the students didn't seem very engaged and the lecture material was just simple bullet points for about 80 minutes. Now maybe the Immersions are a completely different story. I don't know.

On the other hand, I spoke with a Tepper student last night who was telling me how much math they use and how "deep" they dive into the quantitative material.

Now I come full circle: Do I go for the ivy league reputation and network with a lighter (friendlier?) courseload or the extremely intense management science that will make me a wizard with quant business/finance?

HELP!!!!!!!!!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Got the Tepper package a few days ago...I like it loads better than Cornell's!
I thought it was weird that a quant-by-reputation school should put together a nicer binder (name on pen, nice gesture!) than a school that some say has a good track record in marketing and brand...

Anyways, I'm 98% settled on Cornell (yeah...I know). As expected, I didn't have to introduce Cornell to people in my home country...while I needed to talk about the merits of Carnegie Mellon for people to understand my decision dilemma...if I had targeted a career in the US, it probably would've gone differently...

SDBall and bkrokad, hope you had fun with your research and reached a decision (Cornell deposit on Wednesday!)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I'm going to Cornell. In fact, I'm going to cancel my trip to Tepper's Welcome Weekend next Friday. I'm totally sold on Johnson. The immersion is going to be huge for me as a career switcher. Cornell will also give me the access to New York and Boston that I need for recruiting. I want to go into investment management and the placements this year were incredible for Johnson. Every student that I talked to ended up with their dream internship/FT job. Not to mention Cornell is an Ivy.

If any of you guys have questions, please message me. I was up in Ithaca for 3 nights this past weekend.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
SDBall22 wrote:
I just read through the Darden vs. Cornell thread from last year. It definitely reiterated one of my biggest concerns about Cornell, that the classes are on the easy side and not very quantitative. I'm hoping that someone can rebuttal that. But I attended an investment course on my interview day and the students didn't seem very engaged and the lecture material was just simple bullet points for about 80 minutes. Now maybe the Immersions are a completely different story. I don't know.

On the other hand, I spoke with a Tepper student last night who was telling me how much math they use and how "deep" they dive into the quantitative material.

Now I come full circle: Do I go for the ivy league reputation and network with a lighter (friendlier?) courseload or the extremely intense management science that will make me a wizard with quant business/finance?

HELP!!!!!!!!!

SDBall22,

Congrats on making a decision !!
Since you have chosen Cornell now, do you have any info on the concerns you raised above ? Do you have any first-hand experience from your stay in Ithaca that helped you make a decision ??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
ardk wrote:
SDBall22 wrote:

HELP!!!!!!!!!

SDBall22,

Congrats on making a decision !!
Since you have chosen Cornell now, do you have any info on the concerns you raised above ? Do you have any first-hand experience from your stay in Ithaca that helped you make a decision ??

I would say that I was probably not considering the full picture of business school in my statement above. First, I think I was wrong about the curriculum. I think it will be challenging and thorough. Second, it was stressed to us, by several faculty members and students, that grades and classes are only a part of the experience. Recruiting and networking are just as important, if not more important. Interview preparation takes hours upon hours of training from club members. Adding that to the classroom work will make for a very thorough and deep plunge into business, econ, finance or whatever you would like to concentrate on.

The current students are smart and have accomplished a lot already. I was blown away by the students and I'm totally sold on the school.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Paid the deposit a few days ago...so it's official :)
See you in Ithaca, SDBall!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks SDBall22 for your clarification. I am interested in Cornell's AMBA (1-year) program, and hence was curious to know your reason behind the decision. Of course, I still have a lot of time for school choices.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
@sd ball - have heard that about cornell too. on less focus on quant side of things
GMAT Club Bot