Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 02:31 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 02:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Own Kudos [?]: 589 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: absolute phrase !!!! [#permalink]
good explanation here.

absolute phrase and verbal cannot be together is the lesson learnt.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [3]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: absolute phrase !!!! [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
biswarup1234 wrote:
1. Scientists have found high levels of iridium in certain geological formations around the world, results that suggest the cataclysmic impact of a meteor millions of Years ago.

2. Scientists have found high levels of iridium in certain geological formations around the world, SUGGESTING the cataclysmic impact of a meteor millions of years ago.

3. Scientists have found high levels of iridium in certain geological formations around the world, results suggesting the cataclysmic impact of a meteor millions of Years ago

Can someone pls discuss the difference between the above three sentences. First one, IMO, is an absolute phrase example. What about the other two? Are both Ok? In the second sentence who is performing the action (suggesting) ?

Actually, you could argue 1 & 3 work - but on the GMAT, 1 is preferred.
The third one is a bit weak, but it can still work.
2 has issues between STRUCTURE and MEANING explained below.

Basically, the way you look at it is like this:
#3: "Scientists have found high levels of iridium in certain geological formations around the world, results suggesting the cataclysmic impact of a meteor millions of Years ago."

"Scientists have found [X], [description of X]."

"Scientists have found [X], results suggesting blah blah blah."

Since "results suggesting blah blah blah" describes [X]...

"Scientists have found [results suggesting blah blah blah]."

You do the same for #1 - noting that on the GMAT, "results that suggests X" is better than "results suggesting X" - though both can work
"Scientists have found high levels of iridium in certain geological formations around the world, results that suggest the cataclysmic impact of a meteor millions of Years ago."

"Scientists have found [X], results that suggest blah blah blah."

Since "results that suggest blah blah blah" describes [X]...
we can write:
"Scientists have found [results that suggest blah blah blah]."

2 has issues with the -ING verb.

Whenever you have a descriptive -ING verb as you have here, it is STRUCTURALLY describing the subject SCIENTISTS. But MEANING-WISE, this doesn't make sense.
So really, it's the RESULTS/FINDINGS that are suggesting - not the scientists.

Because of this conflict between STRUCTURE and MEANING - (2) is no good.

Originally posted by GMATPill on 17 May 2011, 09:59.
Last edited by GMATPill on 05 Dec 2012, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5237 [0]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Re: Scientists have found high levels of iridium in certain [#permalink]
biswarup1234 wrote:
1. Scientists have found high levels of iridium in certain geological formations around the world, results that suggest the cataclysmic impact of a meteor millions of Years ago.

2. Scientists have found high levels of iridium in certain geological formations around the world, SUGGESTING the cataclysmic impact of a meteor millions of years ago.

3. Scientists have found high levels of iridium in certain geological formations around the world, results suggesting the cataclysmic impact of a meteor millions of Years ago

Can someone pls discuss the difference between the above three sentences. First one, IMO, is an absolute phrase example. What about the other two? Are both Ok? In the second sentence who is performing the action (suggesting) ?

Can someone please throw light on Sentence 2. Who is doing the action of suggesting?
As per my understanding, Comma + ing modifier can modify the whole clause, but it should makes sense with Subject. However, here, scientists are not suggesting anything. Its the results that are suggesting. So, how sentence 2 is correct. please explain.

Similar question from OG -

The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of the Greek world, proclaiming a sacred truce during the festival’s month.

I know the sentence is incorrect for other reasons as well. However, it is also incorrect Since Olympic games cannot do the act of Proclaiming.

Also OG says that -

It is not clear who would be doing the proclaiming;

Pls help.
Thanks
Himanshu
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 912 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: LBS '14 (A$)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,

In your sentence you are correct, the 'olympic games' are proclaiming - which can't happen as a person has to proclaim

The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of the Greek world, proclaiming a sacred truce during the festival’s month.

In sentence 2,

If you want to say:
"Scientists have found high levels of iridium in certain geological formations around the world, SUGGESTING the cataclysmic impact of a meteor millions of years ago."

- you should be replacing the word "suggesting" with "which suggest"

"Scientists have found high levels of iridium in certain geological formations around the world, which suggest the cataclysmic impact..."

"Scientists have found high levels of iridium [fluff], [these high levels] suggest the cataclysmic impact..."
"Scientists have found high levels of X, which suggest the cataclysmic impact..."

So you can either say "results that suggest" or "results suggesting" or "[high levels], which suggest"

but to use a descriptive -ING verb "suggesting" would mean the phrase that follows "suggesting" would structurally describe SCIENTISTS - which is not correct.

Originally posted by plumber250 on 05 Dec 2012, 10:59.
Last edited by plumber250 on 05 Dec 2012, 18:54, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [0]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Hii James.
In the sentence 2,
Since "Scientists" is the subject of the main clause, so shouldn't "suggesting" be done by Scientists?
Moreover logically speaking, how can how can a result suggest? In fact on the basis of the results, Scientists may or may not suggest.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 912 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: LBS '14 (A$)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Send PM
Hi,

You may be right on the first point, other opinions welcome, to make sense of the sentence it has to be the results suggesting.

That said I see nothing wrong with results suggesting something. For example I would have no problem with this sentence:

The results of the experiment suggest that the hypothesis was correct.

James
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [0]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
But how can the object of the main clause, not the subject, can modify the ing+verb?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42106 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Let me also join the fray;

When an adverbial modifier or verb + ing modifier consisting of a present participle is placed in a placed in the later part of a sentence and is set off using a comma, then the verb+ing modifies the entire previous clause, or the gist of the previous clause. It is the combination of the subject and subject’s doing some action.

Here, it is the Scientists’ finding of high levels of Iridium that is suggesting something. That is the gist of the main clause. So it is acceptable IMO

When we talk of reports, results, findings etc, it is customary to modify them with a relative clause introduced by the conjunction that. To that extent, 3 is less idiomatic
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30807 [2]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos