Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 09:18 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 09:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Accounting
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:ND - Alum, was accepted to WM, Olin.
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: 2011 Master of Accounting / Taxation applicants UNITE! [#permalink]
Hi all,

I've read many helpful posts here, so want to share my status for future reference:
Applied for: UTA, USC, ND, a regional school in Cali
GMAT 720
Accounting GPA: 3.9 (took some extra accounting classes after graduation from a local school)
Undergrad GPA: 3.3 (public ivy, engineering + Econ)
Some extra-curricular activities.
I applied near the deadline for each school (huge mistake), and so far I heard back from UTA (denied), ND ($$), and USC (accepted)

rayparlour: Since you are an ND alum, I have two questions for you (or anyone who can answer):
1. What is your impression of the taxation track of ND?
2. Do you know how easy/difficult it is to land a job in California (maybe big 4) after graduation? I talked to ND's reps, and they said the majority of job placements will be in Chicago.

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by napkin08 on 21 Apr 2011, 10:27.
Last edited by napkin08 on 27 Apr 2011, 09:10, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Schools:ND - Alum, was accepted to WM, Olin.
Send PM
Tax is not too bad. There is only one class that will be extremely challenging. The other classes are fun and not too bad. I was in the financial track but I took 3 tax classes for fun.

Recruitingwise ND is one of the top schools by the Big 4. Most of the graduates stay in Chicago / NY / Boston area / Midwest. But I've seen placements in LA, SF, Portland, Dallas, Denver. I am working for a Big 4 west of the Mississippi, and I did not have an internship with them. You can definitely do it, especially since everyone is short staffed.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
has anyone heard from UNC's MAC program
Intern
Intern
 Q27  V28 GMAT 2: 500  Q29  V30
GPA: 3.33
WE 1: Television Production
Send PM
I'm looking to hear any success stories for any of the Cal State Universities.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
rayparlour Thanks your your reply!

I heard from USC that I was also accepted to the MBT program. Being a Californian I do have a slight preference for a Cali school. However, since ND has a national reach, and they gave me a pretty generous scholarship, I need to see USC's package before I decide between the two schools.

From what I heard, USC is processing another batch of applicants, and there still seems to be slots left, but they are a bit resource crunched right now, so don't lose hope!

Out of curiosity, anyone got wait listed by UT Austin?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hecubus330 wrote:

Hecebus330,

Since you asked, I'll share my story.

I am a student at Cal State Fullerton with a degree in Accounting. I was accepted into USC's MBT program for Fall 2011, and every other school I applied to, though USC is the only school of note other than ASU. According to Accounting Report 2010, USC is rank #8, ASU rank #11. It's universally agreed upon that USC is the superior school though because of its consistency in the top ranks. My numbers were when I app'd to USC:

Major: Accounting
Minor: Philosophy
GPA: 3.68 overall, 3.67 ACCT
GMAT: 580*, 6.0 analysis/writing
Work experience: Part time for 3.5 years, non accounting (law: bankruptcy)
Units: 140 upon graduation in 4 years

*Compared to USC's posted GMAT score average of 650, I should not have had a chance at all. In the admissions interview, the associate dean told me that 600 is generally their cutoff point. However, here I am about to register for classes on Friday! I really have no idea how or why I was accepted, but at this point the reasons are moot. Be warned, I did get shafted as far as scholarships go because of my extremely low GMAT score though. Luckily I saved a lot of my college fund by going to Cal State Fullerton to finance my Masters!

If you have any questions ask away. I'll try to check back here for a bit.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hecubus330 wrote:

Cal state's GPA/GMAT requirements is pretty low - they take many international students and out of state students at the grad level to alleviate budget situations. I know friends who had 3.0 GPA and got accepted but I don't know their GMAT score. Last year I was accepted to a CSU at around April 15th.

I want to warn you that Cal state schools are facing 50 million budget cuts this year. I have recently taken some accounting classes at a cal state campus. I had great professors, but the budget has affected faculties and restricted course selections severely. If you know what you are doing, the in-state tuition is still incredibly cheap though. Good luck with CSULA.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I am very aware of the budget cuts in the state system. I am going nuts trying to figure out where I can feasibly take my last couple of prerequisites this summer. The community colleges were hit really hard with cuts, and many of them have canceled summer session.

As for CSU LA, my GPA is above the minimum required 2.5 (mine is 3.33), but I am just worried about my extremely low GMAT (470) because the minimum is 500.

I called the school up because when I log in it says my application is still incomplete. I was worried one of my recommenders didn't send in her letter in time. The lady on the phone said my application is in fact complete and was sent over to evaluation. I should know in 3-4 weeks what the decision will be.

Here's to hoping!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I didn't get into Cal State LA's MSA program for fall 2011. My GMAT was too low (470). I rolled my application over to Winter 2012 and I need to retake the GMAT by the end of August. I must score 500 or higher to get into the program.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Undergrad GPA:3.6 (small state school)
gmat: 570
1 yr related experience in nyc
applying to baruch for spring 2012
(other options in ny area?) with this profile

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Sox wrote:
hecubus330 wrote:

Hecebus330,

Since you asked, I'll share my story.

I am a student at Cal State Fullerton with a degree in Accounting. I was accepted into USC's MBT program for Fall 2011, and every other school I applied to, though USC is the only school of note other than ASU. According to Accounting Report 2010, USC is rank #8, ASU rank #11. It's universally agreed upon that USC is the superior school though because of its consistency in the top ranks. My numbers were when I app'd to USC:

Major: Accounting
Minor: Philosophy
GPA: 3.68 overall, 3.67 ACCT
GMAT: 580*, 6.0 analysis/writing
Work experience: Part time for 3.5 years, non accounting (law: bankruptcy)
Units: 140 upon graduation in 4 years

*Compared to USC's posted GMAT score average of 650, I should not have had a chance at all. In the admissions interview, the associate dean told me that 600 is generally their cutoff point. However, here I am about to register for classes on Friday! I really have no idea how or why I was accepted, but at this point the reasons are moot. Be warned, I did get shafted as far as scholarships go because of my extremely low GMAT score though. Luckily I saved a lot of my college fund by going to Cal State Fullerton to finance my Masters!

If you have any questions ask away. I'll try to check back here for a bit.

Congratulations on USC! You must have blown them away in your interview/I'm sure your 3.5 years of work experience was valuable to them as well :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi! Thx everybody shares the information ,anyway, I'm seeing a lot people talking about California.

I want to work in Big 4 California.

But look at the tuition, I think that can't be afford it.

Could any school like Baruch in NY, the tuition is more reasonable?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
California state schools are cheap if you are a resident. You have to live here for a year and a day to be considered a California resident for tuition purposes.
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 01-09-2013
GPA: 3.34
Send PM
Hows the Macc at SDSU? I visited their website and they seem to have a good amount of accounting firms visit their campus.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I was accepted to Cal State LA's MSA program for Winter 2012!
I retook the GMAT in August and scored 500 (the minimum to get in, way to cut it close lol).
I'm so excited!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Starting MS Accounting program at Baruch in NYC Spring 2012....Anyone else doing the same?
GMAT: 650
Intern
Intern
Send PM
yankee4c wrote:
Starting MS Accounting program at Baruch in NYC Spring 2012....Anyone else doing the same?
GMAT: 650

Yankee, I am applying to Baruch as we speak right out of undergraduate. I am being told by the admissions office that they strongly encourage full-time work experience even for their MS Accounting program.

Did you apply right out of undergrad or did you work full time?

I have a 660 GMAT, 3.53 GPA, 3.81 Accounting GPA, a couple internships. I just feel as though they're telling me that I have no shot without work experience. I thought this was more true for MBA programs.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts