Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 16:42 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 16:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.7
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:UNC Duke Kellogg
 Q50  V44
GPA: 3.28
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64976 [2]
Given Kudos: 428
Send PM
Re: Last Minute tips ? - 4 days to go [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
akhileshgupta05 wrote:
So I have just 4 days to go and the pressure has started to mount right now.

I have a feeling that I've missed out something that I had decided to do in the last few days.

Any ideas ?
What should I do in these last 4 days other than relaxing, practising GMAT Prep Documents and reviewing error log ??

Sleep as much as you can. Some people are unable to sleep the night before (especially if you have very high expectations from yourself) which can make you very groggy on G-Day. Do some physical activity, if you are into some outdoor sport. If you want to mentally engage yourself, do some puzzles. As far as possible, don't touch your books (other than the error log if you wish to), don't do any questions... Take a break. In GMAT, last minute cramming is anyway useless. If your mind is fresh, you will be surprised how effortlessly you will cruise through most part of the test.
Best!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Sleep as much as you can. Some people are unable to sleep the night before (especially if you have very high expectations from yourself) which can make you very groggy on G-Day. Do some physical activity, if you are into some outdoor sport. If you want to mentally engage yourself, do some puzzles. As far as possible, don't touch your books (other than the error log if you wish to), don't do any questions... Take a break. In GMAT, last minute cramming is anyway useless. If your mind is fresh, you will be surprised how effortlessly you will cruise through most part of the test.
Best!

Thanks for the advice. I will make sure I get enough sleep ,hopefully.

But don't you think I should work through the Prep Documents?

I am not cramming as such since my prep has already been long enough to grasp the concepts. Just to fill in some minor holes, especially in SC.

While working on the Prep documents, I found some rules that I was unaware of and that are not present explicitly in any prep material. These are minor rules that usually native-speakers would know but non-native speaker might not. But more importantly, if that rule appears on the test, it can cost me that question and we know how strongly does verbal score relate to the number of questions answered correct and incorrect.

and, since I am not doing anything else right now other than preparing for GMAT, I have plenty of time to relax.

Also, the CR section has worried me little. Usually, I have 90% accuracy on CR questions but the GMAT Prep CR questions, especially the difficult ones, are quite beyond simple common sense. Also the huge disparity between the easier ones and the tougher ones is scaring me a little. The CR questions in OG and Verbal Supplement are cake walk compared to ones in GMAT Prep Document. Should I be concerned? or am I over-thinking ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
DevilDoggNC wrote:
Monster practice scores and lots of tests taken too!

One piece of advice I found helpful was this -- try not to focus on the score or put more pressure about scoring a certain number (you can drive yourself insane thinking about 740 or 760 or that dreaded 690 and all the other multiples of 10 in-between) -- have faith in your preparation and in the hard work that you have put into the GMAT and just go out there and give it your best shot.

Another piece of useful advice that I have received before --- that you will get something thrown at you during the test which you have not seen before or have *any* idea how to crack (can be anything -- a SC, CR, DS or PS) -- the important thing is to not get fazed by it...

And of course the golden rule that the best test takers follow -- don't let *one* question beat you -- You can't score that perfect score on the 11th question but you can most definitely ruin your entire test by spending 7 minutes on it trying to crack that tough number properties DS or that assumption CR question...

Points taken!

I have to remember that, because I always tell the same to a lot of people.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 129 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance
Schools:LBS, Oxford
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Akhilesh

common....stop thinking

just rest and walk into center

you will be surprised by "how easy anything is if one is prepared"
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Good luck! Beat the beast! I am confident you will.... Can't wait to see 750+ for you :)

Just take rest and go do it. I think you have done enough prep to depend on any last minute thing. Last minute advice works for ppl like me who are not able to put in enough prep time consistently :D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Damn!! Thanks guys!

I promise a very very descriptive debrief!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64976 [1]
Given Kudos: 428
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
akhileshgupta05 wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I will make sure I get enough sleep ,hopefully.

But don't you think I should work through the Prep Documents?

I am not cramming as such since my prep has already been long enough to grasp the concepts. Just to fill in some minor holes, especially in SC.

While working on the Prep documents, I found some rules that I was unaware of and that are not present explicitly in any prep material. These are minor rules that usually native-speakers would know but non-native speaker might not. But more importantly, if that rule appears on the test, it can cost me that question and we know how strongly does verbal score relate to the number of questions answered correct and incorrect.

and, since I am not doing anything else right now other than preparing for GMAT, I have plenty of time to relax.

Also, the CR section has worried me little. Usually, I have 90% accuracy on CR questions but the GMAT Prep CR questions, especially the difficult ones, are quite beyond simple common sense. Also the huge disparity between the easier ones and the tougher ones is scaring me a little. The CR questions in OG and Verbal Supplement are cake walk compared to ones in GMAT Prep Document. Should I be concerned? or am I over-thinking ?

If you worked hard in the past few months, I doubt that the last 3 days will add anything to your preparation. The probability that you will get even one question based on 'something you don't know right now but might get to know in the next 3 days' is very very slim. You might be able to revise something you already know but if you already know it and if it comes in the exam, you will be able to re-call it in either case. On the other hand, a clear, well rested mind can add much more to your score. You could score anywhere within 30-40 points of your ability. Whether you score 30 points above or 30 points below depends on how clear headed you are on test day and how pumped you are about trying new, tricky questions.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:

If you worked hard in the past few months, I doubt that the last 3 days will add anything to your preparation. The probability that you will get even one question based on 'something you don't know right now but might get to know in the next 3 days' is very very slim. You might be able to revise something you already know but if you already know it and if it comes in the exam, you will be able to re-call it in either case. On the other hand, a clear, well rested mind can add much more to your score. You could score anywhere within 30-40 points of your ability. Whether you score 30 points above or 30 points below depends on how clear headed you are on test day and how pumped you are about trying new, tricky questions.

Well I feel I have worked hard in the past months. (Read as ate, drank and slept GMAT)

But I think you're right about having a clearer head. I'd rather take rest and come back with a fresh mind on the test day. Anyway for the past 2-3 days I have been hammering myself with as many as 40-50 problems for every section from the GMATPrep Document. and that has taken a toll on my eyes. So I guess will skip the GMATPrep Documents and just revise my error log and the notes I had prepared.

You know how it is, no matter how much we prepare, we always feel like doing that one last thing at the last moment.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
One technique that can be used if needed - If you feel overwhelmed during the test, take a short break to refresh, and kill the rest of the questions.
Overwhelmed include eyes burning, feeling sleepy while reading RC or anything unexpected that is not allowing your mind to focus on the questions

Best of Luck !!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General
Schools:Columbia
Send PM
Absolutely agree with Krishp. Especially in Quant I always find myself getting more anxious if I get alot of DS questions in a row. I try to take a deep breath, picture something nice (the last kiss your gf gave you), smile and get back to the question. It takes 10s out of the exam but more than makes up for it by calming me down and making me make less stupid errors.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
openbox1 wrote:
Absolutely agree with Krishp. Especially in Quant I always find myself getting more anxious if I get alot of DS questions in a row. I try to take a deep breath, picture something nice (the last kiss your gf gave you), smile and get back to the question. It takes 10s out of the exam but more than makes up for it by calming me down and making me make less stupid errors.

Refresh can mean different things for different people :)
Anything that calms you down. You can visualize that along with a deep breath. It really works even in non-test environments when you get tensed.

openbox1 has given his picture 8-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Gee guys! Thanx!

I hope I can remember so much amidst all the pressure. Damn! I am nervous. Just want this to get over with now!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Say bye,bye to nervousness....Be confident and GO FOR IT.

Sleep well, Eat well, Think well - You will do it.

We are all cheer leading you :-D
GMAT Club Bot