Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 00:10 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 00:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Re: Why do so many engineers go to business school? [#permalink]
I think engineers are ideal MBA candidates. Just because you don't see them in suits, doesn't mean their personality won't fit in with the business world. Many CEOs and executives from top companies comes from engineering background. There are also a lot of engineers/science/math majors made a fortune in the finance world.

Engineers usually have excellent quantitative skills, they are trained to develop problem solving skills. In today's world, many engineering decision are increasingly based on financial constraints. It's only natural for some of the engineers try to apply their skills in a different realm where they can excel.

Of course there are other incentives such as career advancement and increase in pay. Engineer's pay usually caps off at certain point, while executives can have pay days of millions of dollars in bonuses.
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
An engineer's career tends to plateau without official management experience. With a strong quantitative background, they often lack the business skills that their peers may have if they did not double in a business major or get in MBA. In my opinion it seems to be the perfect coupling of skill sets in order to achieve executive level positions and to break that plateau, or to extend their skillset in other functional areas in a company, for example strategic management or marketing in high-tech industries. And of course, there are always career switchers in the mix.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
EMLYON student Olivier Petit decided that an MBA was the best career choice if he wanted to get a position of even greater responsibility. As an engineer he knew that he would become the manager of a department and then the manager of a subsidiary but, “These were not my dream positions. I wanted to be more involved in the strategy of the company…I wanted also to increase my international exposure by being a part of a class with different nationalities”. The MBA would provide a solid base in management and finance, I think this is a reason that many engineers go to business school - the idea that your career will reach a plateau and an MBA can take it to the next level. You can read more at BusinessBecause!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Might be they are fed up in their jobs and they need to know about business. After completion of their business education, i am sure they will turn their career from technology to business.
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [0]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
I actually had time to perform my own personal investigation on this matter during my MSc degree. Comments from 89k and billyjeans basically provide the answer. Another issue worth pointing out is that - and I don't mean to generalize or stereotype here - many MBA students with an engineering background focus on finance. And this leads me to the point that I wish to emphasize: an engineer has very powerful quantitative skills, and when they compliment this with managerial abilities acquired from a good MBA program, this results in a strong and reliable problem solver. Financial institutions, as well as other businesses, pay a lot of money for such people.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
As my perception the engineer degree is such a difficult and also a student with an intelligent brain can get the degree after doing hard work and also the engineers work is no an easy and it requires good business environment and facilities such the business school can provide. also it helps the engineer how to work in corporate field and all.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I'm an engineer and my take on matter is that after you reach a certain stage in your engineering career, it helps move up the ladder if you have some sort of business degree or experience for that matter.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72916 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Because they are smart? :)

Or perhaps just a bunch of calculating devils?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Or maybe because they think they can make more money?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Ntang, Spiridon.

Pose an opposite question: I see 30-40% economics and business graduate getting MBA.
Donot see why they want to study the same thing twice. More so because the content lacks theoretical depth.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
They probably just want the title. Looks good (I guess) on the resume ;)
GMAT Club Bot