Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 05:38 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 05:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship,International Business
Schools:Chicago Booth
 Q44  V34 GMAT 2: 640  Q48  V31 GMAT 3: 690  Q47  V38
GPA: 3.7
WE 1: Information Technology
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: RHCE , CCNA, MCSE and Now GMAT ;)
Own Kudos [?]: 286 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
WE:Operations (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Leadership, International Business
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V31
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: 690 Q47 V38 [#permalink]
HI Vikram,

Can you please give us information on the changes in real GMAT compared to all the infromation flowing on the forum.

Did your KAPLAN course helped you tackle the changes seen in SC. I am also doing KAPLAN online course and here is what i feel.

- Quant (very easy)
- Verbal
- RC (good)
- CR (not in same mood as you see in real GMAT)
- SC (oakish)

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Send PM
suraabhi wrote:
HI Vikram,

Can you please give us information on the changes in real GMAT compared to all the infromation flowing on the forum.

Did your KAPLAN course helped you tackle the changes seen in SC. I am also doing KAPLAN online course and here is what i feel.

- Quant (very easy)
- Verbal
- RC (good)
- CR (not in same mood as you see in real GMAT)
- SC (oakish)

Thanks

I don't think you should look at their questions per-se. Look at their strategies. They teach techniques which will very likely be useful on T-day. I actually remember solving one problem using their substitution approach and got the answer in less than 30 seconds. Solving it the way I would've typically done (engineer, so algebra is my forte) would have taken me atleast a min and half. Savings like these will help your overall score. I don't totally agree that Kaplan's quants are very easy. If you start getting a lot of them correct in your test, you will start to see really tough questions. When I took my test, I did not follow their strategy for one question, give up if you cannot figure it out in 2 minutes, that cost me dearly as I ran out of time. But their overall strategy really helped me. I was confident that I will fall in this range (47 to 49).

Verbal,
Their RC is too good. I don't think I ever got all of Kaplan's RC questions correct, but in the real GMAT, I felt the passages to be too easy. Must have lost one or two questions tops.

CR is comparable until you start seeing 700 level questions. It's a different ball game then. I had couple of questions that were way too close. Again, bad time management. I should've given up on those questions and moved on. Sentence completion is not even close is what I would say. The answer choices in real GMAT are so close, in fact this time I found a question that used "tend to" construct in two different ways. They both were grammatically correct. It was very difficult to differentiate the right from wrong. I would strongly suggest that you use OG12 and Verbal supplement for sentence completion. Just stick with Kaplan for RC and use a mixture of Kaplan and OG for SC. IF you are in Kaplan's advanced course, use their advanced booklet, it has very few questions, but some of them are really good.

But most importantly, manage your time well on the test day. I'm positive that I would've scored 20 to 30 more points with better time management. It doesn't help if you have to solve a SC or a CR in 30 secs.

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Vikram
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Leadership, International Business
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V31
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Thanks for the feedback Vikram. I am not doing on-demand course and not advanced course as i could not do it due to time difference.
Definitely helps a lot.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
Send PM
Hi Vikram,

Congratulations for the score and I personally feel that it is very competitive score. You should now concentrate on your apps and make it a strong case. Try to make a pefect story and use your rich experience as a sword to kill.

I'm my GMAT in 20 days. I'll apprecite if you can respond the below.
1. What was the Verbal split (SC/CR/RC).
2. How was SC? Did you find any Idiom in any SC? Any recommendations/insight on SC?
3. Lately, other GMAT takers are complaining about monster RCs. Good to know you got easy ones. Any insight on this?
3. How do you approach verbal overall? I need the same score as yours V38-V40. ;)

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
great Score! I don't think for part-time course you should be worried for score. Work extensively on your apps. That should be key in getting you in.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Ajay369 wrote:
Hi Vikram,

Congratulations for the score and I personally feel that it is very competitive score. You should now concentrate on your apps and make it a strong case. Try to make a pefect story and use your rich experience as a sword to kill.

I'm my GMAT in 20 days. I'll apprecite if you can respond the below.
1. What was the Verbal split (SC/CR/RC).
2. How was SC? Did you find any Idiom in any SC? Any recommendations/insight on SC?
3. Lately, other GMAT takers are complaining about monster RCs. Good to know you got easy ones. Any insight on this?
3. How do you approach verbal overall? I need the same score as yours V38-V40. ;)

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

1) I got the normal split. Around 14-15 SC, 13-14 CR and 12-14 RC questions.
2) I don't remember the exact SC's, I'm actually pretty decent in SC. I had couple of questions that were too close. What I mean it, grammatically there were no errors in either of them. Just have Manhattan SC book at the back of your head and practice 1000 SC documents.Take 30 to 40 questions from each hundred (as they are in alphabetical order) and try to apply these rules. If you diligently follow the rules in Manhattan SC, you will start to see patterns and will figure out the issues with SC, right away.
3) I think for RC, Kaplan made a huge difference. Their classroom strategies were just too good. I was able to spot the trick's that GMAC plays and learnt to avoid them. To that effect, my tutor was truly good. He definitely was aware of what he was doing.
4) If you can start, reading NYT or Economist or Wall street journals on a regular basis. Your reading stamina will improve. Their quality of writing is very representative of GMAC. Also, try spotting error in those journals (they do not confirm to GMAC's rulebook). This will improve your verbal proficiency.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
 Q49  V40
GPA: 3.3
WE 1: 2.5 yrs in manufacturing
Send PM
Hey Vikram,
congrats on your score.
Could you please post all your practice test scores.

Thanks,
Raghu
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37320 posts