Last visit was: 21 May 2024, 15:57 It is currently 21 May 2024, 15:57
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Joined: 02 Nov 2016
Posts: 14033
Own Kudos [?]: 33996 [11]
Given Kudos: 5806
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Joined: 24 Mar 2019
Posts: 12
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 486
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Joined: 22 Mar 2023
Posts: 56
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, General Management
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
VP
VP
Joined: 03 Jul 2022
Posts: 1266
Own Kudos [?]: 812 [2]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Re: Percentage of Population Attending Selected Sports Events, Single Year [#permalink]
2
Kudos
A. Visitors to Las Vegas prefer indoor gambling to attending sporting events.

No linkages presented in the stimulus regarding --- whether preference for indoor gambling causes low attendance for sporting events. Both are 'separate'; and no cause-and-effect phenomenon can be inferred solely by the table data.

Would NOT help explain


B. Seattle’s football team recently lost some key players.

If the Seattle football team lost key players, this will lead to poor performance -- hence, low scores in the Table for Seattle’s football team

Would help explain


C. Philadelphia's high schools have an excellent hockey program.

If Philadelphia's high schools have an excellent hockey program, it will lead to high scores for Hockey, as evident through the 2nd highest score in the Table for Philadelphia's hockey team.

Would help explain
VP
VP
Joined: 03 Jul 2022
Posts: 1266
Own Kudos [?]: 812 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Re: Percentage of Population Attending Selected Sports Events, Single Year [#permalink]
Sajjad1994

Are the Data Insights questions being reflected in the Error Log?
I couldn't trace these attempts in the Error Log.

Please guide..
Intern
Intern
Joined: 15 Aug 2022
Posts: 42
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Re: Percentage of Population Attending Selected Sports Events, Single Year [#permalink]
I can’t see the main question
GRE Forum Moderator
Joined: 02 Nov 2016
Posts: 14033
Own Kudos [?]: 33996 [1]
Given Kudos: 5806
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Re: Percentage of Population Attending Selected Sports Events, Single Year [#permalink]
1
Kudos
Expert Reply
Official Explanation

Statement 1
The preferences of visitors to Las Vegas don’t explain the behavior of the people who live there, so they don’t explain why such a low percentage of Las Vegas’s actual population attends sporting events.

Statement 2
Seattle’s football team having become weaker could explain why other sports have become more popular in Seattle.

Statement 3
If many high school students in Philadelphia play hockey, they and their families might come to be more interested in watching it than in watching other sports.
GRE Forum Moderator
Joined: 02 Nov 2016
Posts: 14033
Own Kudos [?]: 33996 [0]
Given Kudos: 5806
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Re: Percentage of Population Attending Selected Sports Events, Single Year [#permalink]
Expert Reply
pintukr wrote:
Sajjad1994

Are the Data Insights questions being reflected in the Error Log?
I couldn't trace these attempts in the Error Log.

Please guide..


As per my limited knowledge this functionality will be available within a week. Lets see.
GRE Forum Moderator
Joined: 02 Nov 2016
Posts: 14033
Own Kudos [?]: 33996 [0]
Given Kudos: 5806
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Re: Percentage of Population Attending Selected Sports Events, Single Year [#permalink]
Expert Reply
7747789470 wrote:
I can’t see the main question


Hello 7747789470

The question starts from the table, there is no other text.
Intern
Intern
Joined: 11 May 2021
Posts: 5
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 390
Location: India
WE:Supply Chain Management (Retail)
Send PM
Re: Percentage of Population Attending Selected Sports Events, Single Year [#permalink]
This seems like too much outside info to be honest. Is this from OG?
GRE Forum Moderator
Joined: 02 Nov 2016
Posts: 14033
Own Kudos [?]: 33996 [0]
Given Kudos: 5806
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Re: Percentage of Population Attending Selected Sports Events, Single Year [#permalink]
Expert Reply
SudipM7 wrote:
This seems like too much outside info to be honest. Is this from OG?


No! it is from McGraw-Hill's GMAT
Intern
Intern
Joined: 01 Aug 2023
Posts: 14
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 132
Send PM
Re: Percentage of Population Attending Selected Sports Events, Single Year [#permalink]
1
Kudos
Sajjad1994 wrote:
Data Insights (DI) Butler 2023-24 [Question #03, Date: Oct-01-2023] [Click here for Details]


CITYBASEBALLFOOTBALLBASKETBALLHOCKEY
Baltimore, MD35422839
Dayton, OH935178
Houston, TX20321916
Las Vegas, NV8527
Newark, NJ1871621
Philadelphia, PA33322337
Seattle, WA27111926
(Sort ↕ the table by clicking on the headers)

For each of the following statements select Would help explain if it would, if true, help explain some of the information in the preceding table. Otherwise select Would not help explain.


I got the answers right, but I still feel the question is a little incomplete, such that the numbers and city names are given along with the names of the sports, but we do not know what the numbers represent, they could represent anything, number of visitors, number of spectators, money made from the sports, losses incurred in matches, anything, leaving the data open to any kind of interpretation. Sajjad1994, can you please let us know if this is the entire question or if something is missing?
GRE Forum Moderator
Joined: 02 Nov 2016
Posts: 14033
Own Kudos [?]: 33996 [1]
Given Kudos: 5806
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Re: Percentage of Population Attending Selected Sports Events, Single Year [#permalink]
1
Kudos
Expert Reply
angysinghdhillon wrote:
I got the answers right, but I still feel the question is a little incomplete, such that the numbers and city names are given along with the names of the sports, but we do not know what the numbers represent, they could represent anything, number of visitors, number of spectators, money made from the sports, losses incurred in matches, anything, leaving the data open to any kind of interpretation. Sajjad1994, can you please let us know if this is the entire question or if something is missing?


This is the percentage of population attending selected sports events, Single Year. This was added as topic name but i have now added it in the start of the table.

Thank you!
Intern
Intern
Joined: 01 Aug 2023
Posts: 14
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 132
Send PM
Re: Percentage of Population Attending Selected Sports Events, Single Year [#permalink]
Sajjad1994 wrote:
angysinghdhillon wrote:
I got the answers right, but I still feel the question is a little incomplete, such that the numbers and city names are given along with the names of the sports, but we do not know what the numbers represent, they could represent anything, number of visitors, number of spectators, money made from the sports, losses incurred in matches, anything, leaving the data open to any kind of interpretation. Sajjad1994, can you please let us know if this is the entire question or if something is missing?


This is the percentage of population attending selected sports events, Single Year. This was added as topic name but i have now added it in the start of the table.

Thank you!


Thank you! This helps a lot!
Intern
Intern
Joined: 14 Oct 2023
Posts: 32
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Location: Singapore
GMAT Focus 1:
675 Q88 V83 DI80
Send PM
Re: Percentage of Population Attending Selected Sports Events, Single Year [#permalink]
Sajjad1994 wrote:
Official Explanation

Statement 1
The preferences of visitors to Las Vegas don’t explain the behavior of the people who live there, so they don’t explain why such a low percentage of Las Vegas’s actual population attends sporting events.

Statement 2
Seattle’s football team having become weaker could explain why other sports have become more popular in Seattle.

Statement 3
If many high school students in Philadelphia play hockey, they and their families might come to be more interested in watching it than in watching other sports.


Hi Sajjad, since the previous year percentage of population who attend sporting events cannot be determine, may I ask how can we conclude that other sports team have become more popular in Seattle just because the percentage of population attending their events is higher?
Intern
Intern
Joined: 04 Jun 2023
Posts: 48
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 280
Send PM
Re: Percentage of Population Attending Selected Sports Events, Single Year [#permalink]
the second question's answer is really not derivable.
First of all, there is no paragraph to really give any info about the graph table, there's just one line and also in the third question there's a mention of "schools" and yet were not given info about these sports taking place in schools or any connection of these sports with school teams or programs whatsoever.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Percentage of Population Attending Selected Sports Events, Single Year [#permalink]
Moderators:
Math Expert
93373 posts
DI Forum Moderator
1029 posts
RC & DI Moderator
11282 posts