Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:53 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1161 [0]
Given Kudos: 117
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64940 [0]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5230 [0]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [4]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.38
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: New OG13 questions.. did very poorly [#permalink]
Kudos
I did the OG12 and the Quantitative Review 2nd Edition. I logged problems, repeated hard ones and ultimately I feel I've mastered most of the material.

Then I did the delta problems for OG13. They were very hard... and yes it ruined my confidence for a day or two. The DS was OK, a bit hard, but the PS was particularly hard. I also don't believe the way they arrange the problems is correct AT ALL because the last two OG13 problems that are new are very easy (200s or something), whereas the 4 before that are as hard as I've ever seen. (180s-190s).

What the previous poster said is absolutely correct. If you lose confidence right before your test it can be disastrous, and that's probably why they say don't study anything new immediately before. I think the only thing you should be concerned about is confidence...not that you have all this "shadow" material you don't understand.

My opinion is, If the GMAT is a well designed test, then ultimately it needs to gauge you as an individual properly. That means both revealing your weaknesses AND revealing your strengths. If the test gives a 750 test taker a 650 by happening to introduce all this non-representative stuff (kind of like us doing the OG13 problems, which are a mere fraction of the scope) then the test is flawed period. Likewise, if a 650 test taker comes out with a 750 then the test if flawed too -- the job of the test is to find your ability, not screw you. So the way I see it is the testing mechanism works in favor of people like us. People that have covered/mastered the most representative material available for preparation.

I think it also helps to realize that at this moment there is enough material out there to take more than a year to cover. There are half a dozen test prep companies with their own problems. Even forums have their own problems (like this one) and their own guides (like this one). Some people even study off LSAT guides for Critical Reasoning.. you're never really done if that's the way you define "done". So that's why I just define "done" as as much of the official material you can reasonably do in a 3-4 month time period.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5230 [0]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
pinchharmonic wrote:
. you're never really done if that's the way you define "done". So that's why I just define "done" as as much of the official material you can reasonably do in a 3-4 month time period.

This is the best advice that one can offer for GMAT prep... People usually realize this once they come out from their exam center after first Gmat attempt.. :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Technology, Economics
GMAT Date: 05-13-2012
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
hey..can i know from where we can get the delta questions of OG 13???
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 895 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Everyone,

There are definitely some pretty challenging new problems in OG13! But overall, the new problems fit in pretty well with what was in OG12. Remember that every "new" GMAT problem is just a Frankenstein built out of old GMAT problems (or perhaps I should say "Frankenstein's monster built out of old GMAT problems" for those of you who are picky about your literary references). The new OG13 problems for the most part just mirror the same topics that have always been tested on the GMAT.

I think the main point to remember is that the actual test is computer-adaptive, so any time you pick out a handful of OG problems you'll be lacking that key ingredient of the experience. Getting a low percentage correct on a randomly selected set of OG problems should never be taken as any kind of score indicator.

Don't let the new problems stress you out, but they are good problems so give them a shot and then focus on learning what you can from them. Even after the June 5th introduction of IR, the main Quant and Verbal sections will not be changing at all (otherwise, the GMAT would cease to be a true *standardized* test). So at the end of the day, don't read too much into the "new" problems in OG13.

Good luck!

Mark
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 895 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Expert Reply
Check out this blog post for a nice analysis of the OG13 vs. OG12 differences:

https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... ial-guide/
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.38
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
i'd like to add that on this forum someone posted PDFs for every DS and PS problem in both GMAT prep1 and GMAT prep2. I wish i saw this when i started.

If you have months left you can try doing all the problems (800 total), or like me, tackle DS on one particular exam (218 problems). There's no mention of sorting, but from my observation definitely the last 20-30 problems are the most difficult whereas the first 50 or so i saw medium, hard, and ridiculously easy problems. I actually think doing 1-100 might be better than doing the last 20-30 since the last 20-30 are probably close to 50-51 scoring level problems. so if you are not going for that, don't do those -- you may not ever see those problems on the test and the skills to do those don't really seem to overlap at all with the typical problems people would see.

this will give you a great gauge of where you are because now you're doing a wide array of problems at all difficulty levels whereas OG13 problems were just a drop in the bucket.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Human Resources
GMAT Date: 12-06-2012
GPA: 3.5
WE:Research (Human Resources)
Send PM
I would like to add that I started with OG12 and its tests were OK and I did them well, but after purchasing OG13 and working on its newly added tests I found that they are really tough! It is obvious that the new tests are more difficult... I hope I would not face them in the real test.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 562
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
anf I thought I was the only guy finding these new quant questions in OG13 tough..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
For Quant focus on basics if your basics are strong then move to the advanced stuff. Check out GMATquantum on my sig below the video explanations are absolutely fantastic. I do advise buying the GMAT prep question pack 1.
GMAT Club Bot