Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:39 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [2]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
37 year old chemical engineer(12 yrs exp) confused about MBA [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi Anand
It's the same situation with me.

I am 36 yrs old working as Structural analysis Engineer (Aerospace). I have 11 yrs of experience after my Master's. Through out my career I have been a Engineer. I am struck in my current job as only Engineer :(
All my friends who studied with me , are now Team leads and project leads/Managers in different organisations in India.

I am thinking of MBA now. I have been re-searching through all this for 4 months now.
I will try to share with you my opinion.
Now coming to your question, it depends on how much you are able to spend/invest on your MBA? considering your Family circumstances.

Full-time MBA in most business schools is a 1 year program.
On the other hand, Executive MBA is for the working professionals.
If you are moving to US or Canada to do MBA, then you should go for full-time MBA. Couple of reasons for this. To do Executive MBA , you might need a job in that country. Moreover Executive-MBA is mostly a 2 year program with classes during the weekends.
Not only that, Full time MBA will provide you an opportunity to attend various workshops/guest lectures/Business education tours-industry visits/networking with business leaders & alumni. You will miss certainly some of these things in executive MBA or part -time MBA or online MBA.

Also if you are looking for MBA's in top b-schools, GMAT is a must (score of 650 and above preferable to be considered for admission). Not only that, top b-schools charge a very hefty fees. Damn tough competitions will be there for available scholarships. Scholarships are mainly based on our profiles.
If someone got an excellent promotion to managerial level within short period of time in his/her work, they have a very fair chances for scholarships.

Finally, I would say it's purely your choice based on your situations/circumstances.

Regards
Balakrishnan

kingking wrote:
Hi there,

I am a 37 year old chemical engineer from the oil and gas industry with around 12 years of core engineering experience (national+international).

I reside in India ,and given the recent oil and gas recession, I am thinking abut an MBA. I aspire to get a full time MBA from a good school.

Can someone suggest me as to what kind of MBA would be a good fit. Would it be good to try for a 1 year course at a school like Insead or would it be good to try for a 2 year MBA at American Ivy leagues like Stanford HBS etc?

Given that I wish to change sector, I believe a 2 year MBA would be good. Is that correct?

My confusion comes from the fact that given no management background I might find it tough during a 1 year MBA (with a compressed syllabus) and might find to change the sector(lack of internship). Are these apprehensions correct enough or am I being too paranoid?

A request to pour in your suggestions please :)
regards
Anand Iyer
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 2.9
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Re: 37 year old chemical engineer(12 yrs exp) confused about MBA [#permalink]
I am afraid that you will be accepted in MBA program at this age normally after this much experience people opt for EMBA even if you go through average age bracket of MBA students there are hardly 5% of class who are 35+
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Expert Reply
kingking wrote:
Hi there,

I am a 37 year old chemical engineer from the oil and gas industry with around 12 years of core engineering experience (national+international).

I reside in India ,and given the recent oil and gas recession, I am thinking abut an MBA. I aspire to get a full time MBA from a good school.

Can someone suggest me as to what kind of MBA would be a good fit. Would it be good to try for a 1 year course at a school like Insead or would it be good to try for a 2 year MBA at American Ivy leagues like Stanford HBS etc?

Given that I wish to change sector, I believe a 2 year MBA would be good. Is that correct?

My confusion comes from the fact that given no management background I might find it tough during a 1 year MBA (with a compressed syllabus) and might find to change the sector(lack of internship). Are these apprehensions correct enough or am I being too paranoid?

A request to pour in your suggestions please :)
regards
Anand Iyer

Hi Anand,

You are on the higher side of age/ work experience, and I think breaking into Stanford/HBS is going to be extremely difficult if not impossible.

I'd suggest you look at some of the excellent Indian options such as the executive programs at the IIMs - you fit the age/WE range at these programs. European MBAs are also more open to accepting people with substantial work experience- more so if you have good international exposure and leadership experiences. ISB has recently come out with a program for working executives- check it out.

You will also need to be more realistic about your career shift- an MBA will help you gain cross functional business knowledge and make you ready to take on a business oriented role but a complete career turnaround will not be possible given your substantial skill base in a technical role. Think of it this way- you should be able to transfer the skills you have already built onto your next job.

Feel free to share your resume with me. Also have you taken the GMAT / thought about it as that would be mandatory to every program where you apply?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92945 posts
GMAT Tutor
1905 posts