Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:03 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 3132 [0]
Given Kudos: 893
GRE 1: Q169 V154
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10013 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Re: BYU 2nd Year: Ask Me Anything [#permalink]
Expert Reply
dlake wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I am a second year student at BYU's MBA program and would like to do an ask me anything (AMA) for BYU's MBA program. Questions you are afraid to ask adcoms? Shoot. Want to know the food situation? No problem. Recruiting on-campus or off-campus questions? Go right ahead.

So without any further ado, any questions?

Dlake

Hello David,

Welcome to GMATClub and thank you for taking time out to answer questions of prospective applicants. Could you please describe a typical day of BYU students?

Thank you!
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 3132 [0]
Given Kudos: 893
GRE 1: Q169 V154
Send PM
dlake wrote:
stonecold wrote:
dlake wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I am a second year student at BYU's MBA program and would like to do an ask me anything (AMA) for BYU's MBA program. Questions you are afraid to ask adcoms? Shoot. Want to know the food situation? No problem. Recruiting on-campus or off-campus questions? Go right ahead.

So without any further ado, any questions?

Dlake

Hi
Thank you for taking out time to reply to our queries.

Can you throw some light on the LDS thing on the application.
For Internationals it really is a painful and often futile process to get the endorsement. Also, for students who want to apply right before the deadline(i.e give the test late in the application season) this requirement makes it almost impossible as there is no way to get the endorsement within a week (unless off course you are from a particular faith)

Can you also comment on the culture at BYU w.r.t different religions?
Is it inclusive ?

Thanks and regards
Stone Cold

This is a great question to start with, thanks for asking.

I'll start with the mechanics of this process:
To quickly and most easily obtain an ecclesiastical endorsement I would recommend going to the LDS meetinghouse locator tool: https://www.lds.org/maps/meetinghouses/
This tool should show the closest LDS meetinghouse to you and most listings include contact information for the bishop or leader of that congregation. If the contact info of the Bishop is not available, the meeting time and location will be available and visitors are welcome to approach the Bishop before or after or in between meetings with questions. I've found that most bishops are willing to work towards a deadline if there is a rush to help out applicants, but that attitude can vary.
If you are unable to contact a bishop or there is no religious presence in your area contact Graduate Admissions at (801) 422-7367 or by email at gsadmissionintern@byu.edu for interview assistance. They should be able to assist in setting something up in more difficult scenarios.
If you are considering applying for BYU I would recommend getting the endorsement in advance of taking the test. For students endorsements are generally good for a year, so even if you decided not to apply during a given year I assume the endorsement would still be valid for an earlier application in the following year.

Now I'll shed some more light on the purpose:
As most are aware there is an honor code. The ecclesiastical endorsement only exists to ensure that everyone who applies is fully committed to living by the honor code for the time they are there. It is a religious university and with that that those in attendance maintain the ideals associated with the LDS Church.

As far as how inclusive it for student of other religions:
I don't think religion divides students or relationships at all. Some of the most well-liked and best-connected students in the program are not LDS. I will say that Professors will at times talk about experiences related to their spiritual beliefs/religious service or share quotes/principles taught by leaders of the LDS church. However, I do think they make an effort not to alienate students of different faiths in the process.

I know that was a long answer, but I hope it answers your questions.

Fabulous!
Thank you for the analysis and such great insights.
It will really help the students applying to BYU next fall.

As Narenn, I am also looking forward to knowing your typical day in life.
To add to that can you also comment on the alumni network.

Best
Stone

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Narenn stonecold
Regarding a day in the life and the alumni network:

Day in the life - I'll do a general weekly layout to get a better feel
Typical week in a First semester - Attending 2-3 core classes per day(17 credit hours, 3-4.5 hours Monday-Thursday)+ 1-2 hours meeting/working with your team daily (same team across all classes for first semester) + 2+ hours of individual case prep and homework. Info sessions multiple times per week for on campus recruiting, 1-2 hours of meeting with "Sherpa" and recruiting team Friday (the Sherpa is a 2nd year student hired to assist you with your job search, resume, networking, mock interviews, technical interview skills, etc), 1 hour seminar from industry professionals and experts on technical skills or trainings on improving your job search. One or two nights per week participating in clubs or other social events. Several hours per week spent applying for jobs, practicing for interviews, informational interviews/networking, etc. Most students spend time in between classes and HW in the MBA lounge, where a lot of internal networking and relationships are built. A couple times during the semester most students take part in internal/external case competitions. These competitions are highly competitive and time intensive. Generally teams for core classes will pick up the slack for teammates during heavy recruiting times or case competitions

Second semester - Half of the classes are core classes, the rest are electives or geared toward your emphasis. Workload and study time is similar across all semesters (about 17 credits). For many people info sessions and recruiting slows down at this point because generally about half of all students land an internship during first semester from on campus recruiting or career fairs. This provides more flexibility for free time, case competitions, networking, etc.

Second year - Recruiting kicks up to full gear at the beginning of second year. No more core classes, but total class load remains similar. Many second year students choose to take on campus jobs in recruiting new students or in the Sherpa program as a mentor to first year students seeking jobs. In many ways second year students run the whole program. They are heavily involved in recruiting, they run clubs, recruit guest speakers for clubs and events, and many other things. All of these different roles provide opportunities for second years to connect directly with first years, which has a positive impact on our network.

The BYU MBA network has been exceptionally helpful in my experience. I've never reached out to an alumnus about a job opportunity who was unwilling to help and act as an advocate. Many people have the perception that BYU places primarily in Utah and the Mountain West, but that is untrue. We probably do place more in the western half of the United States (a lot go to Amazon and Dell, for instance), but we have plenty of students set to go to the northeast and Midwest as well. BYU also has a National Advisory Council that MBA students have access to at different times during the year. This council is comprised of BYU alumni in prominent positions in countries across the world.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
Thanks for your time. Actually, I've been looking for someone like you. I'm writing from Mongolia and i'm really new to MBA program. Therefore, if i ask silly questions i hope you will understand me. My primary questions are as follows:
1. What are the essay topics for MBA at Marriot BS? /I just want to be familiar with topics ahead of registration opening and prepare myself/
2. What companies and what industries are the main employer of Marriot graduates? /According to Forbes the major employers of the Marriot graduates are the techs in Silicon Valley and Seattle. Is that true? If so what particular companies are the major employers and in what positions /like product manager, financial analyst/ they usually hire graduates? And what about the other employers and their positions that they usually hire graduates?/ I am asking this question because i haven't decided my MBA specialization and my career upon the completion of MBA.
3.Is there any particular pattern among grad students of Marriot? /For example, i heard most of the grad students at Columbia have work experience in wall street or consulting and they go to MBA in order to switch their company in their industry and to get promoted/
4.Is there any particular emphasis that Marriot lays on their operations and looking for it from its applicants? /For instance, i heard Duke lays emphasis on team play. Therefore, they look for someone who can be a good team player/
5.What factor does make Marriot's MBA program standout from those of other business schools? /For example, i heard University of Washington is located in Seattle which makes its graduates easier to be hired in Amazon, Microsoft/
6.Is Marriot's finance and strategy concentrations are good enough to pursue? /The reason i'm asking this question is that i heard Marriot is strong in accounting and entrepreneurship fields but there is no information about finance and strategy/
7.How well is Marriot at offering scholarship?
In order to help you to answer my questions, i think it is better idea to give my background information.
Major: Marketing /received my bachelor's degree from one of Mongolian state university/
Work experience: 4 years in Consumer electronics /worked as a brand manager of Mongolian consumer electronics brand/, 1 year in Mongolian pharmaceutical distribution /worked as a head of marketing department but spent most of my time on formulation and implementation of company's short and middle strategic plan/, 1 year in Mongolian FMCG distribution /worked as a head of marketing department/, 2 years in Mongolian boutique Marketing consulting /worked as a consultant/
English proficiency: IELTS 7.5 /so-so/
Future career aspiration: Strategic management, Corporate finance and Product management /i haven't decided yet, and what do you think is that feasible?/
Sorry for asking a lot of questions. :-) To be honest, Marriot's MBA is the only program i can afford the tuition from top 40 business schools in States and that's the reason i'm asking those questions.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply

This discussion has been closed due to inactivity. Please start a new topic in the Business School Applications Forum if you have a similar question or a comment.

Thank you,
GMAT Club Moderator Team.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts