Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:04 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Booth (admitted R1), NYU (interview Mar 4), UT (withdrawn), Rice (admitted R2) plus dings at HBS, Stanford, Wharton and CBS
 Q45  V46
GPA: 3.4
WE 1: Oil and gas
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Stanford, Kellogg, Harvard, Wharton/Lauder, Booth (admitted with $$)
 Q47  V44
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
GPA: 3.7
WE 1: 1.5 years in Banking/Capital Markets
WE 2: ~1 year in financial services/risk mgmt
Send PM
Re: Admitted to Chicago Booth Class of 2012 Full-time MBA Thread [#permalink]
Thanks Britguy!

So unfort. both are on Friday and Sat. I'm planning on going to Kellogg Thurs night and Friday to get more of a taste for Evanston and then attend Booth's on Sat. One of my friends at Booth took me to TNDC (Thurs Night Drinking Club for those newbies like me!) and it was AWESOME! I had so much fun. So basically, I ALREADY love Booth, just trying to figure out if that's where I should go.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Economics / Statistics
Schools:Chicago Booth ($$$) , Sloan, Kellogg, Wharton
 Q48  V38
GPA: 3.95 undergrad
WE 1: Commercial Banking
WE 2: Computer Hardware
WE 3: MRO
Send PM
hoping2010 wrote:
hey everyone! i have a quick housing/parking question. I currently live in chicago and would like to live in lakeview or old town since rents are a lot cheaper than downtown (i.e.lakeshore east area). however, it seems like it would take forever to get to campus using public transportation so i was wondering if anyone knew how difficult parking is to find on campus and if you can pay for a monthly pass? any help would be much appreciated!

Every time I've gone down to the Hyde Park campus, I've had no problem at all finding parking. I'm sure it depends on what time you arrive, but if you can find parking in Lakeview or Old Town, Hyde Park will be a breeze!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Schools:Stanford, Kellogg, Harvard, Wharton/Lauder, Booth (admitted with $$)
 Q47  V44
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
wushu2280 wrote:
hoping2010 wrote:
hey everyone! i have a quick housing/parking question. I currently live in chicago and would like to live in lakeview or old town since rents are a lot cheaper than downtown (i.e.lakeshore east area). however, it seems like it would take forever to get to campus using public transportation so i was wondering if anyone knew how difficult parking is to find on campus and if you can pay for a monthly pass? any help would be much appreciated!

Every time I've gone down to the Hyde Park campus, I've had no problem at all finding parking. I'm sure it depends on what time you arrive, but if you can find parking in Lakeview or Old Town, Hyde Park will be a breeze!

thanks!!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Strategic Management, Finance, Managerial and Organizational Behavior
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2012
Send PM
Got the admit package today. Not overly exciting. I thought it was funny that they replaced the line:
Quote:
An opportunity to spend to years connecting with people...who revel in classroom discourse as much as they do exploring new nightclubs and running on the beach.

from the on-line admit letter with this one in the admit package:

Quote:
An opportunity to spend to years connecting with people...who revel in classroom discourse as much as they do exploring the city of Chicago.

Apparently they changed their mind on that nightclub bit!

Also my rothman screen saver doesn't really work...not that I'm overly disappointed.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Top B-School
Send PM
shana22 wrote:
Got the admit package today. Not overly exciting. I thought it was funny that they replaced the line:
Quote:
An opportunity to spend to years connecting with people...who revel in classroom discourse as much as they do exploring new nightclubs and running on the beach.

from the on-line admit letter with this one in the admit package:

Quote:
An opportunity to spend to years connecting with people...who revel in classroom discourse as much as they do exploring the city of Chicago.

Apparently they changed their mind on that nightclub bit!

Also my rothman screen saver doesn't really work...not that I'm overly disappointed.

I haven't received my admit package yet. Should I be worried?
Current Student
Concentration: Strategic Management, Finance, Managerial and Organizational Behavior
Send PM
I'm in Boston, MA. You're in Europe. I'm going with, "No."
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Top B-School
Send PM
shana22 wrote:
I'm in Boston, MA. You're in Europe. I'm going with, "No."

Thankies!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hi all,

I do plan to attend the admit weekend. From talking to couple of alums, it seems like a great opportunity to meet people, work out logistics and get a flavor of how life is going to be at the school. Hope to meet some of you there!

Random walk will be fun too. As of now, I am inclined to go to Brazil or Egypt. I am also planning a trip to Europe sometime in July for a month. There are a few Columbia admits who are inclined to join as well.

Hope you all have a good time at the Booth worldwide night!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
On Kellogg vs Chicago, someone from Wharton sent me something about all top b-schools..Do not how much it helps!

Northwestern - Pros: Strong team culture and arguably the best marketing program in the country. Incredibly collaborative for such a large school. Great location next to major financial center (Chicago).

Cons: Very soft curriculum, these guys are poets. I'm pretty sure that Kellogg finance classes are prerecorded cartoons taught by Disney characters. Is it really worth it to pay $10000+ to drink every night? I mean, couldn't you just do that without the degree?

Office Space Character: Joanna (Peter's girlfriend). Like Peter, she's very likable, level headed and likes to get around. Unfortunately she's also vastly less skilled than many of her fellow characters. Thank God she's hot.

Chicago - Pros: Finance education is second only to Wharton globally (and even that's debatable). Probably the best facilities of all the top business schools. Fantastic job placements and close proximity to Chicago. Academic horsepower of profs is untouchable.

Cons: Socially awkward is an understatement. Unlike Whartonites who are just high strung, Chicago GSBers either never learned or quickly forgot how to communicate with peers. Make sure to wear a face mask if they're talking to you 'cause spits going to fly.

Office Space Character: Milton (Co-worker that loves red swingline stapler). Milton seems like a nice enough guy, and he might be the smartest guy in the office (he pulls off the grand caper in the end). It's just that he's about as charismatic as a toilet bowl. Hire 'em, just make sure to get GSBers an office in the basement.

P.S. these are not my comments...I agree with Chicago's pros, but not with the cons!
Intern
Intern
Schools:Chicago Booth 2012
Send PM
I hear there is a high-rise dorm in Downtown Chicago where a lot of Booth MBA students live.

Does anyone know the name of this building or any other building that has a lot of Booth MBA students living in it? Location?

Trying to start figuring out housing for next year and would love to live downtown...
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10036 [0]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
mba4240 wrote:
I hear there is a high-rise dorm in Downtown Chicago where a lot of Booth MBA students live.

Does anyone know the name of this building or any other building that has a lot of Booth MBA students living in it? Location?

Trying to start figuring out housing for next year and would love to live downtown...

One of them is Aqua, 225 N. Columbus Drive. I know that at least 30 first-year students live there.
Current Student
Send PM
walker wrote:
mba4240 wrote:

One of them is Aqua, 225 N. Columbus Drive. I know that at least 30 first-year students live there.

That place is a bit expensive. Know of any buildings in that area with studios/convertibles under $1,400/mo?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [4]
 Q48  V38
Send PM
Kudos
shana22 wrote:
walker wrote:
mba4240 wrote:

That place is a bit expensive. Know of any buildings in that area with studios/convertibles under $1,400/mo?

I've asked around a lot about this, and what I've learned is if you are looking for one building/community where a lot of the students live, you will have to look to the following:
-Shoreham
-Tides
-Aqua
-Columbus Plaza
-Park Millenium

If you go to the building's management website, the rents are list price and (as you have seen) absolutely ridiculous. But the apt/condo market in downtown Chicago has been ravaged, so you will always find the market price for these places on Craigslist. I did a quick search just now for you and found a number of these buildings within your price range.
Current Student
Send PM
wushu2280 wrote:
I've asked around a lot about this, and what I've learned is if you are looking for one building/community where a lot of the students live, you will have to look to the following:
-Shoreham
-Tides
-Aqua
-Columbus Plaza
-Park Millenium

If you go to the building's management website, the rents are list price and (as you have seen) absolutely ridiculous. But the apt/condo market in downtown Chicago has been ravaged, so you will always find the market price for these places on Craigslist. I did a quick search just now for you and found a number of these buildings within your price range.

+1, thanks! I remember hearing about Millenium Park on my visit now.

Any insight on what people do over the summer between 1st and 2nd year if they don't live in Chicago? Are sublets attainable? Do any of these places accomodate students with prorated leases and storage space? Do people just suck it up and pay the 3 months rent despite not living there?
Intern
Intern
 Q48  V38
Send PM
shana22 wrote:
wushu2280 wrote:
-Shoreham
-Tides
-Aqua
-Columbus Plaza
-Park Millenium

+1, thanks! I remember hearing about Millenium Park on my visit now.

Any insight on what people do over the summer between 1st and 2nd year if they don't live in Chicago? Are sublets attainable? Do any of these places accomodate students with prorated leases and storage space? Do people just suck it up and pay the 3 months rent despite not living there?

I'm sure it is a combination of subletting and sucking it up. The law in Chicago requires that the landlord allow you to sublet your apartment. In nice places like these, you can expect other people from out of town who get top internships in Chicago to be your target market. If you cannot find anyone, be prepared to suck it up.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Chicago Booth c/o 2012
Send PM
Outside craigslist, are there any good sites to sort through the available apartments? Also, do most 1st year students just get studios or 1 bdrms, or do people find roommates at admit weekend or through Booth somehow? Thanks!
Intern
Intern
 Q48  V38
Send PM
Codex wrote:
Outside craigslist, are there any good sites to sort through the available apartments? Also, do most 1st year students just get studios or 1 bdrms, or do people find roommates at admit weekend or through Booth somehow? Thanks!

I haven't found many that are very good. Craigslist is really the place everyone goes for apartments here, mainly because it is free. I'm in the same boat as you, Codex. On admit weekend, I'm going to try to see if I gel with any of my classmates enough to live with them. If not, I'm just going to suck it up and get a 1bdrm.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5