Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 19:59 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5230 [38]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64924 [6]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64924 [5]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 790 [1]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Re: Products with innovative and appealing designs relative to competing [#permalink]
Kudos
Can you please confirm himanshu that the OA is B or C . .I am nobody to challenge the accuracy of Karishma and infact i also marked B for this , but after looking at answer i was able to justify C . as the first bolded phrase does justify the strategy in second bold face and for B

The first is a consideration that helps explain the appeal of a certain strategy >> to extract as much profit as possible yes it refers to this strategy but the wording of answer choice does create confusion. .
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5230 [0]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Re: Products with innovative and appealing designs relative to competing [#permalink]
@ PUNEETSCHDV

The OA is C. However, I would recommend you not to study this problem, rather solve OG Boldface questions. The structure of this CR is very much similar to one of the OG question. I don't have OG with myself right now, otherwise would have posted the problem number.

Thanks
H

PUNEETSCHDV wrote:
Can you please confirm Himanshu that the OA is B or C . .I am nobody to challenge the accuracy of Karishma and infact i also marked B for this , but after looking at answer i was able to justify C . as the first bolded phrase does justify the strategy in second bold face and for B

The first is a consideration that helps explain the appeal of a certain strategy >> to extract as much profit as possible yes it refers to this strategy but the wording of answer choice does create confusion. .
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64924 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
PUNEETSCHDV wrote:
Can you please confirm himanshu that the OA is B or C . .I am nobody to challenge the accuracy of Karishma and infact i also marked B for this , but after looking at answer i was able to justify C . as the first bolded phrase does justify the strategy in second bold face and for B

Again, C is incorrect. Don't take my word for it. Think on your own.

C says:
The first is a phenomenon that justifies a specific strategy - this is fine. It justifies "charge as much as possible for their new designs"
the second is that strategy. - this is incorrect. The second is not the strategy that the first part justifies. The second is the strategy "CHARGE LESS THAN THE GREATEST POSSIBLE PRICE."

B says:
The first is a consideration that helps explain the appeal of a certain strategy; - this is fine. It explains the appeal of "charge as much as possible for their new designs"
the second presents an alternative strategy endorsed by the argument. - this is fine. It presents "CHARGE LESS THAN THE GREATEST POSSIBLE PRICE", the strategy endorsed by the argument.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 790 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
i just wanted to confirm that does first bold face justifies the second strategy or not ?? to me it seems it does. .do not charge the greatest possible to discourage the copiers . ..

BECAUSE DESIGN INNOVATIONS ARE QUICKLY COPIED BY OTHER MANUFACTURERS. . . therefore THE BEST STRATEGY TO MAXIMIZE OVERALL PROFIT FROM AN INNOVATIVE NEW DESIGN IS TO CHARGE LESS THAN THE GREATEST POSSIBLE PRICE.

is it fine to read the two bold face parts in relative to the whole stimulus and also to read them relative to each other before moving to answers or should we read them relative to stimulus only and not relative to each other as this might distract us , as i do find logic in C for this one ??
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64924 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
PUNEETSCHDV wrote:
i just wanted to confirm that does first bold face justifies the second strategy or not ?? to me it seems it does. .do not charge the greatest possible to discourage the copiers . ..

BECAUSE DESIGN INNOVATIONS ARE QUICKLY COPIED BY OTHER MANUFACTURERS. . . therefore THE BEST STRATEGY TO MAXIMIZE OVERALL PROFIT FROM AN INNOVATIVE NEW DESIGN IS TO CHARGE LESS THAN THE GREATEST POSSIBLE PRICE.

is it fine to read the two bold face parts in relative to the whole stimulus and also to read them relative to each other before moving to answers or should we read them relative to stimulus only and not relative to each other as this might distract us , as i do find logic in C for this one ??

The argument gives the first bold statement to support strategy 1 (charge greatest). Another line in the argument "But large profits generated by innovative designs give stronger incentives to copy the designs." supports strategy 2 (charge less).

You do not read the boldface sentences relative to each other. You read them only relative to the entire argument. Look at the question asked: "In the argument above, the 2 portions in boldface (uppercase) play which of the following roles ?"

What role do the boldface portions play in the ARGUMENT?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [3]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
For the record, the source of this question is MGMAT CR 5th Edition and MGMAT has acknowledged in the errata that the correct answer is in fact B not C.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 831 [0]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
Can somebody explain why the answer is not E?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 110
GPA: 3.02
Send PM
Can someone please clarify why D is wrong? D seems to fit perfectly.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64924 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
HKHR wrote:
Can someone please clarify why D is wrong? D seems to fit perfectly.

Certain strategy - charge as much as possible for their new designs
Appeal of the strategy (reason this strategy is applied) - BECAUSE DESIGN INNOVATIONS ARE QUICKLY COPIED BY OTHER MANUFACTURERS,

Another strategy endorsed by the argument - TO CHARGE LESS THAN THE GREATEST POSSIBLE PRICE

(D) The first is a consideration that demonstrates why a particular approach is flawed;...
This is incorrect. The first bold statement does not demonstrate the flaw of the approach. It demonstrates the appeal of the approach. Companies charge as much as possible at the outset because innovations are quickly copied.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
imhimanshu wrote:
Products with innovative and appealing designs relative to competing products often command substantially higher prices in the marketplace.BECAUSE DESIGN INNOVATIONS ARE QUICKLY COPIED BY OTHER MANUFACTURERS, many consumer technology companies charge as much as possible for their new designs to extract as much value as possible from them.But large profits generated by innovative designs give stronger incentives to copy the designs. Therefore, THE BEST STRATEGY TO MAXIMIZE OVERALL PROFIT FROM AN INNOVATIVE NEW DESIGN IS TO CHARGE LESS THAN THE GREATEST POSSIBLE PRICE.

Consider the sentences in uppercase to be the boldfaced parts.

Q: In the argument above , the 2 portions in boldface (uppercase) play which of the following roles ?
(A) The First is an assumption that supports a described course of action; The second provides a consideration to support a preferred course of action.
(B) The first is a consideration that helps explain the appeal of a certain strategy;the second presents an alternative strategy endorsed by the argument.
(C) The first is a phenomenon that justifies a specific strategy ; the second is that strategy.
(D) The first is a consideration that demonstrates why a particular approach is flawed; the second describes a way to amend that approach.
(E) The first is a factor used to rationalize a particular strategy; The second is a factor against that strategy.

Thank you for your response Karishma. But I have a follow up question on D. If you look at the text in red, I feel it demonstrates why this particular approach is flawed. The text in blue suggests a way to amend this approach, which is to charge less than the greatest possible price. Any mistake in this interpretation?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64924 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
HKHR wrote:
imhimanshu wrote:
Products with innovative and appealing designs relative to competing products often command substantially higher prices in the marketplace.BECAUSE DESIGN INNOVATIONS ARE QUICKLY COPIED BY OTHER MANUFACTURERS, many consumer technology companies charge as much as possible for their new designs to extract as much value as possible from them.But large profits generated by innovative designs give stronger incentives to copy the designs. Therefore, THE BEST STRATEGY TO MAXIMIZE OVERALL PROFIT FROM AN INNOVATIVE NEW DESIGN IS TO CHARGE LESS THAN THE GREATEST POSSIBLE PRICE.

Q: In the argument above , the 2 portions in boldface (uppercase) play which of the following roles ?
(A) The First is an assumption that supports a described course of action; The second provides a consideration to support a preferred course of action.
(B) The first is a consideration that helps explain the appeal of a certain strategy;the second presents an alternative strategy endorsed by the argument.
(C) The first is a phenomenon that justifies a specific strategy ; the second is that strategy.
(D) The first is a consideration that demonstrates why a particular approach is flawed; the second describes a way to amend that approach.
(E) The first is a factor used to rationalize a particular strategy; The second is a factor against that strategy.

Thank you for your response Karishma. But I have a follow up question on D. If you look at the text in red, I feel it demonstrates why this particular approach is flawed. The text in blue suggests a way to amend this approach, which is to charge less than the greatest possible price. Any mistake in this interpretation?

Your interpretation is correct.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
HKHR wrote:
imhimanshu wrote:

Your interpretation is correct.

If my interpretation is correct then option D is correct, right? I am sorry to ask so many questions but I am confused. :(
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64924 [2]
Send PM
Kudos