Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:31 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Assumptionx                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 696 [0]
Given Kudos: 81
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64894 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Tutor
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Proposed new safety rules for the Beach City airport would lengthen [#permalink]
SlikRick wrote:
I agree that E is the best answer. However, I am struggling with one silly exception...

The original argument discusses how the city's revenue is closely tied to tourist spending. If the number of passengers increases, that doesn't necessarily equate to tourist spending does it?

Am I reading into this too much? I have a tendency to turn assumption questions into weaken / strengthen questions...

I have a similar doubt. Someone please clarify this. Stuck between C and E. In an assumption question we have to take the premises into account as the there is a jump from *premise* to conclusion. The passage states that the operating budget depends *heavily* on the taxes generated by tourist *spending*. I took that *spending* into account so chose C over E. While, for C to be correct, it also relies on an implicit assumption that the reduction of tourists wouldn't take into account the reduction of few tourists who might spend a lot, for E to be correct, it also has to rely on an implicit assumption that the increase in passengers per flight would be at least as much as the number of passengers lost per *flight*. Let's say a flight can fit 300 passengers, and most flights are at least 3/4th full or entirely full, now if we reduce the number of entire *flights* by 10%, isn't it unreasonable to assume that the remaining flights to could fit those passengers?
Tutor
Send PM
Re: Proposed new safety rules for the Beach City airport would lengthen [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
something689 wrote:
SlikRick wrote:
I agree that E is the best answer. However, I am struggling with one silly exception...

The original argument discusses how the city's revenue is closely tied to tourist spending. If the number of passengers increases, that doesn't necessarily equate to tourist spending does it?

Am I reading into this too much? I have a tendency to turn assumption questions into weaken / strengthen questions...

I have a similar doubt. Someone please clarify this. Stuck between C and E. In an assumption question we have to take the premises into account as the there is a jump from *premise* to conclusion. The passage states that the operating budget depends *heavily* on the taxes generated by tourist *spending*. I took that *spending* into account so chose C over E. While, for C to be correct, it also relies on an implicit assumption that the reduction of tourists wouldn't take into account the reduction of few tourists who might spend a lot, for E to be correct, it also has to rely on an implicit assumption that the increase in passengers per flight would be at least as much as the number of passengers lost per *flight*. Let's say a flight can fit 300 passengers, and most flights are at least 3/4th full or entirely full, now if we reduce the number of entire *flights* by 10%, isn't it unreasonable to assume that the remaining flights to could fit those passengers?

Consider this - Any reduction in the number of tourists will lead to reduced revenue. Every tourist spends money as per his or her desire but some money HAS TO BE spent by everyone. They need to stay somewhere, go to places, pay entry ticket at tourist spots, eat etc. Someone may choose an economical hotel, public means of transport and not shop but even they will need to spend some money.
If number of tourists increase, the revenue will increase, whether slightly or a lot is up for debate. One tourist's shopping plans will not depend on how many total tourists there are, right?

So (C) doesn't work at all. Even if the decrease comes from those who spend relatively little, they still spend. So revenue WILL decrease.

On the other hand, (E) creates a possibility that number of tourists will not decrease. If rest of the flights accommodate all people, then number of tourists may not decrease at all and hence the revenue may not decrease.

Answer (E)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 163
Send PM
Proposed new safety rules for the Beach City airport would lengthen [#permalink]
This is the solution I came up with:

Conc: The proposed new safety rules, if adopted, will reduce the revenue available for the operating budget.

(A) There are no periods of the day during which the interval between flights taking off from the airport is significantly greater than the currently allowed. This answers the question - "Are there any delays significantly greater than the min. time allowed between takeoffs due the new safety rules?". If the overall delays are still kept to a minimum in accordance to the new safety rules, leading to 10% fewer flights, it still doesn't explain the decrease in available revenue. This kinda just restates what we already know/presume. Drop

(B) Few, if any, of the tourists who use the Beach City airport do so when their main destination is a neighboring community and not Beach City itself. - Answers the question - "How many tourists use/spend time at Beach City Airport?" Whether the answer to this is a lot or not many, doesn't explain why the revenue should fall. Beach City could be a transit to an extravagant destination that could attract richest few or a popular family destination attracting a lot of people. In either case, a 10% reduction in traffic might be substantial loss in such cases. So this isn't a must be true assumption. Drop

(C) If the proposed safety rules are adopted, the reduction in tourist numbers will not result mainly from a reduction in the number of tourists who spend relatively little in Beach City. Sounds nice. Let's negate. The reduction in tourist numbers will be mainly those who spend little money in Beach City Airport, therefore, the revenue available will be reduced. Yup, can co-exist. Whether the decrease in revenue is substantial or not, it's still a reduction. Drop

(D) Increasing the minimum time between takeoffs is the only way to achieve necessary safety improvements without a large expenditure by the city government on airport enhancements. Answers the question - "Are the new regulations necessary?" Whatever the answer doesn't affect the conclusion of the passage. Drop

(E) The response to the adoption of the new safety rules would not include an increase in the number of passengers per flight. Tight. This means that the decrease in flights is equal to a decrease in the footfall in the Beach City Airport. Let's negate for extra surety. "The response would include an increase in number of passengers per flight." This definitely breaks the conclusion. Keep­
GMAT Club Bot
Proposed new safety rules for the Beach City airport would lengthen [#permalink]
   1   2   3 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts