Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 10:26 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 10:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: AGSM '20 (A)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Retake strategy after 420 [#permalink]
Hi thanks for reply. I know it will be quite hard. I'm quite dedicated and have full time to prepare. But I need a really strong tutor to help to get through. My aim is to get scholar hence the score 660. If not, then to reach at least 600 to get into the program.

Studies:
1) What study materials have you used? I have used Manhattan pdf's and went through 8 weeks their online group course
2) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)? It was ranging from Q32 V 28 to Q38 V30. Once I had 540 during one practice test but then 460,480,460

Goals:
3) When are you planning to retake the GMAT? In a month time ideally. If not,it could be in 1.5 month.
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School? First deadline is end Aug. Another round by October 1st.
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to? In Sydney - UNSW

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Kate.li88,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, your various score results show that you essentially performed the same each time (around 450 +/- a few points; the 540 is an outlier that we can't really assume is an accurate reflection of your current skills).

Using this 420 as a gauge - and the idea that you need at least a 600 to competitively apply to this Business School (and significantly higher to get a Scholarship) - you will likely need at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study to get to that level. Thus, the first application deadline (in late August) does not seem realistic - and the early October deadline would be the better option. If there's another application Round after that, then that should be another option to consider.

1) What order did you take the GMAT sections in?
2) What were your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for this 420?
3) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I had the test in order Quant- Verbal- IR-AWA. I scored Quant 28 Verb 20. As for study I think I can dedicate 8hrs/ day and around 50 hours a week.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Kate.li88,

From what you've described, you have a lot of potential study time - which is good. However, you have to be careful about confusing 'quantity' of study with 'quality' of study - and you have to be careful about not 'burning out' (as 50 hours of study each week would would be a LOT of studying). It's not clear whether you actually need a tutor or not, but working through a 'fixed class' schedule clearly didn't work for you, so you'll need a study plan that's a bit more flexible (and that can allow you to spend more/less time on individual subjects as needed). Given your needs, I still think that a GMAT Course of some type would be really beneficial. Most GMAT Companies offer some type of free materials (practice problems, Trial Accounts, videos, etc.) that you can use to 'test out' a product before you buy it. We have a variety of those resources at our website (www.empowergmat.com). I suggest that you take advantage of all of them then choose the one that best matches your personality, timeline and budget.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks a lot for your advice. I will definitely have a look at your website.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Kate.li88,

From what you've described, you have a lot of potential study time - which is good. However, you have to be careful about confusing 'quantity' of study with 'quality' of study - and you have to be careful about not 'burning out' (as 50 hours of study each week would would be a LOT of studying). It's not clear whether you actually need a tutor or not, but working through a 'fixed class' schedule clearly didn't work for you, so you'll need a study plan that's a bit more flexible (and that can allow you to spend more/less time on individual subjects as needed). Given your needs, I still think that a GMAT Course of some type would be really beneficial. Most GMAT Companies offer some type of free materials (practice problems, Trial Accounts, videos, etc.) that you can use to 'test out' a product before you buy it. We have a variety of those resources at our website (https://www.empowergmat.com). I suggest that you take advantage of all of them then choose the one that best matches your personality, timeline and budget.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

Rich

Hi Rich,
thanks a lot for your previous advice. I have subscribed to your lessons and i find your website is very resourceful. I would like to have a specific advice on how should i approach your lessons more efficiently since you have lots of video tutorials, and i have a month to prepare before i re-take the GMAT. I find i have to improve both - verbal and quant - parts. I can dedicate around 25 hrs/week min.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Kate.li88,

It's been about 2.5 weeks since your original post in this thread. Have you taken any new practice CATs since then (and if you have, then how did you score?)? I ask because raising a 420 to a 600+ will likely take more time than you've allotted (which is something we discussed earlier on). If you've improved since you scored 420, then we need to define what that new score is (and adjust your studies accordingly). If you have not taken a CAT since then, then I strongly recommend that you take a new CAT soon - and take it in a realistic fashion (take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, take it away from your home, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, etc.). Once you have that score, you should report back and we can discuss how best to proceed.

Rich
GMAT Club Bot