It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 20:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Rick has n number of chocolates with him where n > 4

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 09 Feb 2015
Posts: 370

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 196

Location: India
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Rick has n number of chocolates with him where n > 4 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2017, 01:43
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

33% (00:56) correct 67% (02:20) wrong based on 24 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Rick has n number of chocolates with him where n > 4. There are 2n people in the room out of which Rick wants to distribute chocolates equally among p number of people where 1 < p ≤ n/2. How many such values of p are possible?

(1) n leaves a remainder of 1 when divided by 6.

(2) There are 4 distinct positive integers that divide the number of people in the room.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 196

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator
avatar
P
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 4981

Kudos [?]: 5493 [1], given: 112

Re: Rick has n number of chocolates with him where n > 4 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2017, 03:12
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
goforgmat wrote:
Rick has n number of chocolates with him where n > 4. There are 2n people in the room out of which Rick wants to distribute chocolates equally among p number of people where 1 < p ≤ n/2. How many such values of p are possible?

(1) n leaves a remainder of 1 when divided by 6.

(2) There are 4 distinct positive integers that divide the number of people in the room.



what does this mean..

Quote:
There are 2n people in the room out of which Rick wants to distribute chocolates equally among p number of people where 1 < p ≤ n/2.



we are just looking for factors of n..
statement I ..
nothing much
insuff

statement II..
this gives us as the number of positive factors as 4..
2 of these will be less than n/2 and 2 more..
suff

B
_________________

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 5493 [1], given: 112

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 02 Nov 2015
Posts: 176

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 121

GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Rick has n number of chocolates with him where n > 4 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2017, 03:40
chetan2u wrote:
goforgmat wrote:
Rick has n number of chocolates with him where n > 4. There are 2n people in the room out of which Rick wants to distribute chocolates equally among p number of people where 1 < p ≤ n/2. How many such values of p are possible?

(1) n leaves a remainder of 1 when divided by 6.

(2) There are 4 distinct positive integers that divide the number of people in the room.



what does this mean..

Quote:
There are 2n people in the room out of which Rick wants to distribute chocolates equally among p number of people where 1 < p ≤ n/2.



we are just looking for factors of n..
statement I ..
nothing much
insuff

statement II..
this gives us as the number of positive factors as 4..
2 of these will be less than n/2 and 2 more..
suff

B

Hi chetn2u,
Can you pls help me understand the description of statement 2.
Unable to get it.
Thanks in advance

Sent from my Lenovo TAB S8-50LC using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 121

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 09 Feb 2015
Posts: 370

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 196

Location: India
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Rick has n number of chocolates with him where n > 4 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2017, 10:58
kumarparitosh123 wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
goforgmat wrote:
Rick has n number of chocolates with him where n > 4. There are 2n people in the room out of which Rick wants to distribute chocolates equally among p number of people where 1 < p ≤ n/2. How many such values of p are possible?

(1) n leaves a remainder of 1 when divided by 6.

(2) There are 4 distinct positive integers that divide the number of people in the room.



what does this mean..

Quote:
There are 2n people in the room out of which Rick wants to distribute chocolates equally among p number of people where 1 < p ≤ n/2.



we are just looking for factors of n..
statement I ..


nothing much
insuff

statement II..
this gives us as the number of positive factors as 4..
2 of these will be less than n/2 and 2 more..
suff

B

Hi chetn2u,
Can you pls help me understand the description of statement 2.
Unable to get it.
Thanks in advance

Sent from my Lenovo TAB S8-50LC using GMAT Club Forum mobile app


Suppose you have 6 chocolates and 3(note : n=6 p=3 <=n/2 ) people ,you would give 2 chocolates to each of the three . so 2 and 3 become factors of 6. The same is mentioned in the statement two quoted above .

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 196

Re: Rick has n number of chocolates with him where n > 4   [#permalink] 01 Aug 2017, 10:58
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Rick has n number of chocolates with him where n > 4

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.