Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 20:04 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 20:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [8]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.7
WE:Consulting (Insurance)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 419 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE:Asset Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Rockets, like the airplane and the jet, were rapidly improved during [#permalink]
Rockets, like the airplane and the jet, were rapidly improved during World War II.
(A) Rockets, like the airplane and the jet, were - Like the airplane and jet is not in parallel woth Rockets.
(B) The rocket, like airplanes and jets, was - Same as A
(C) Rockets, like airplanes and jets, was - Rockets is plural . Was is wrong here.
(D) The rocket, like the airplane and the jet, were - Plural verb were is wrong here.
(E) The rocket, like the airplane and the jet, was - Left with nothing else . hence this :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: LBS '14 (S)
Send PM
Re: Rockets, like the airplane and the jet, were rapidly improved during [#permalink]
Rockets, like the airplane and the jet, were rapidly improved during World War II.
(A) Rockets, like the airplane and the jet, were
(B) The rocket, like airplanes and jets, was
(C) Rockets, like airplanes and jets, was
(D) The rocket, like the airplane and the jet, were
(E) The rocket, like the airplane and the jet, was

Hi fellow students and experts,

I correctly chose E, however, I do not see why B is incorrect.
The OA states that "Now, that modifying phrase, which begins with “like,” is one of comparison, and things being compared should be parallel. That is, we can't compare the plural “rockets”with the singular the “airplane and the jet,” in (A); nor can we compare the singular “the rocket” with the plural “airplanes and jets,” in (B)."
Could anyone please validate the OA? I thought that comparison may be used between singular and plural objects.

Thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [2]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Kudos
reddevil00 wrote:

The OA states that "Now, that modifying phrase, which begins with “like,” is one of comparison, and things being compared should be parallel. That is, we can't compare the plural “rockets”with the singular the “airplane and the jet,” in (A); nor can we compare the singular “the rocket” with the plural “airplanes and jets,” in (B)."
Could anyone please validate the OA? I thought that comparison may be used between singular and plural objects.

Thanks in advance!

Do you know the parallel markers...
And, both And, or neither nor, not but, not only, but also, from to, rather than and the comparison markers as, like, more than less than...when ever you see these markers do check that the items being compared are parallel and comparable. On the similar lines you can't compare singular with plural items or vice-versa.
Hope this clarifies your doubt.
Lets Kudos.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 5588 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
WE:General Management (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
GMATNinja, VeritasPrepKarishma
Please explain whether we can compare singular to plural or vice-versa

Unlike other scholars, the eminent mythologist has concluded that the stories of
Gilgamesh and Osiris record the transition from the age of matriarchal religious authority
to that of patriarchal political power.
(A) Unlike other scholars, the eminent mythologist has concluded
(B) Unlike other scholars, the eminent mythologist’s conclusion
(C) Unlike other scholars, the eminent mythologist’s conclusion is
(D) Unlike those of other scholars, the eminent mythologist’s conclusions are
(E) The eminent mythologists, unlike those of other scholars, has concluded

https://gmatclub.com/forum/unlike-other-scholars-the-eminent-mythologist-has-concluded-137339.html

davidfrank wrote:
reddevil00 wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Do you know the parallel markers...
And, both And, or neither nor, not but, not only, but also, from to, rather than and the comparison markers as, like, more than less than...when ever you see these markers do check that the items being compared are parallel and comparable. On the similar lines you can't compare singular with plural items or vice-versa.
Hope this clarifies your doubt.
Lets Kudos.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63696 [2]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
gmatbusters wrote:
GMATNinja, VeritasPrepKarishma
Please explain whether we can compare singular to plural or vice-versa

Unlike other scholars, the eminent mythologist has concluded that the stories of
Gilgamesh and Osiris record the transition from the age of matriarchal religious authority
to that of patriarchal political power.

Yup, it's completely fine to compare singular and plural nouns, as long as the two nouns are logically comparable. We do this CONSTANTLY in real life:

• "Unlike other presidents, Donald Trump has curiously orange hair." --> No problem, since we can logically compare Trump to other presidents.
  • "In contrast to most professional basketball players, JR Smith apparently has no brain." --> No problem, since we can logically compare JR Smith to "most professional basketball players." (souvik101990, get the reference? :))

So don't worry about this at all on the GMAT, either: comparing singular and plural nouns is absolutely fair game.

I hope this helps!
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619742 [1]
Given Kudos: 81613
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
dc1509 wrote:

KAPLAN OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

E

Here, a modifying phrase comes between the subject and the verb, so you should know to start by checking for subject-verb agreement. “Rockets were” and “the rocket was” are right, and “rockets was” and “the rock- et were”are wrong, so you can cross out (C) and (D). Now, that modifying phrase, which begins with “like,” is one of comparison, and things being compared should be parallel. That is, we can't compare the plur- al “rockets”with the singular the “airplane and the jet,” in (A); nor can we compare the singular “the rocket” with the plural “airplanes and jets,” in (B).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 169
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
GMATNinja, can you please advise, if we can compare singular noun to plural nouns, then is this question addressing wrong explanation? Thanks
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
twister68 wrote:
GMATNinja, can you please advise, if we can compare singular noun to plural nouns, then is this question addressing wrong explanation? Thanks

I have the same question. For parallelism, does it have to be singular-singular and plural-plural in the comparison?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts