Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 01:16 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 01:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Schools:Berkeley Haas
 Q50  V44
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: Should I honestly disclose my salary? [#permalink]
darren1010 wrote:
Schools usually ask about the salary. Because I'm currently an international student in the US, I'm not allowed to work, and I'm working part time on project basic for a company in Vietnam, so my salary is relatively low. So should I honestly admit that I just receive 20K per year, or should I tell them that I receive "nearly" 40K? (I can tell my manager to confirm my salary higher).
Will a low salary affect my application?

Just be honest. I've heard of apps with figures as low as 4000.. They wont give a darn what your current salary is.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Re: Should I honestly disclose my salary? [#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
darren1010 wrote:
Schools usually ask about the salary. Because I'm currently an international student in the US, I'm not allowed to work, and I'm working part time on project basic for a company in Vietnam, so my salary is relatively low. So should I honestly admit that I just receive 20K per year, or should I tell them that I receive "nearly" 40K? (I can tell my manager to confirm my salary higher).
Will a low salary affect my application?

Just be honest. I've heard of apps with figures as low as 4000.. They wont give a darn what your current salary is.

I second that.. my startin sal was jus 4600 pa and after a year its about 8000 pa.. Adcoms will know the rest of the stuff. And in most cases, this figure is just used for their statistics viz. pre and post-mba salary..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I agree with everyone here, but I did hear the director of Wharton state that they look at salary as one indicator of career progress. (https://www.wharton.upenn.edu/mba/mba_pr ... layer.html, its the slide titled, "Admissions Process Professional Development").
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
batchgmat wrote:
I agree with everyone here, but I did hear the director of Wharton state that they look at salary as one indicator of career progress. (https://www.wharton.upenn.edu/mba/mba_pr ... layer.html, its the slide titled, "Admissions Process Professional Development").

Sure, and that makes sense - but its in relative terms, not absolute.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
salary growth within the same currency, not across. In fact, even that doesn't make much sense - so all they can realistically look at is the growth and if it is a reasonable increase.

For e.g. in the US, your salary growth per year could be as little as 2% and could be higher as in 7-8%, but a good engineer in India could have annual increments of even 40%-60% (yep, happens quite a lot). But that doesn't mean that the one in India is better than the guy in the US, or if his/her career progression is somehow more impressive - it's just how the local industry can compensate from its own base salaries. If you looked at the absolute numbers, the numbers in most of the developing nations around the world would be really low compared to the US.

Bottomline - don't worry and don't lie.

batchgmat wrote:
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]