Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 09:11 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 09:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619660 [39]
Given Kudos: 81613
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [36]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [6]
Given Kudos: 44
Send PM
General Discussion
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619660 [1]
Send PM
Re: Six children — A, B, C, D, E, and F — are going to sit in six chairs i [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
Six children — A, B, C, D, E, and F — are going to sit in six chairs in a row. Child E must be somewhere to the left of child F. How many possible configurations are there for the children?

A. 60
B. 180
C. 240
D. 360
E. 720

Kudos for a correct solution.

Similar yet different questions:
seven-children-a-b-c-d-e-f-and-g-are-going-to-sit-in-seven-c-194099.html
seven-children-a-b-c-d-e-f-and-g-are-going-to-sit-in-seven-c-194097.html
seven-children-a-b-c-d-e-f-and-g-are-going-to-sit-in-seven-c-194096.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [1]
Given Kudos: 113
Send PM
Re: Six children — A, B, C, D, E, and F — are going to sit in six chairs i [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Hi Bunuel,

I am getting the answer 220.

My answer is as follows,

F cannot be in first position:

If F is in second position; then E must be in First position- Remaining 4 children can be arranged in 4! ways= 24

If F is in Third position; then E can be two places, If we select 1 letter for left of F, then we will have 4C1X2X3=24

If F is in fourth position, then E can be in three places, So we have 4C2X3X2= 36

If F is in fifth position, then E can be in 4 places, 4c3X4X1= 16

If F is in sixth position, then we have 5! wasys= 120.

Summing all, I am getting 220 ways. Please highlight me where I am going wrong.

Bunuel wrote:
Six children — A, B, C, D, E, and F — are going to sit in six chairs in a row. Child E must be somewhere to the left of child F. How many possible configurations are there for the children?

A. 60
B. 180
C. 240
D. 360
E. 720

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,

I am getting the answer as 360.

My answer is as follows,

F is in first position from the right, then the rest 5 positions can be filled in 5! ways=120

If F is in Second position; then the first position can be filled in 4 ways, and the rest 4 positions in 4! ways; i.e. 24*4=96

If F is in Third position; then the first and second position can be filled in 4 and 3 ways, and the rest 3 positions in 3! ways; i.e. 4*3*3!=72

If F is in Fourth position; then the first, second and the third position can be filled in 4, 3, and 2 ways ways, and the rest 2 positions in 2! ways; i.e. 4*3*2*2!=48

If F is in Fifth position; then the first, second third and the fourth position can be filled in 4, 3, 2 and 1 way, and the rest 1positions in 1! ways; i.e. 4!=24

Hence, answer should be 360.

Thanks
Bunuel wrote:

A. 60
B. 180
C. 240
D. 360
E. 720

[/quote]
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [1]
Given Kudos: 125
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V45
GRE 1: Q161 V163

GRE 2: Q159 V166
GPA: 3.6
WE:Editorial and Writing (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:

A. 60
B. 180
C. 240
D. 360
E. 720

A smart question that tests your presence of mind more than ability to count. Six students can be arranged in 6! ways, which gives us 720 arrangements. Of these, 360 arrangements will be such that E is to the left of F and the remaining 360 will have E to the right. Answer is D.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64974 [3]
Given Kudos: 428
Send PM
Six children A, B, C, D, E, and F are going to sit in six chairs i [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

A. 60
B. 180
C. 240
D. 360
E. 720

Check out the blog posts on the link given in my signature below.

Using the symmetry principle, you say that number of possible configurations = 6!/2 = 360

Answer (D)

Originally posted by KarishmaB on 04 Mar 2015, 21:52.
Last edited by KarishmaB on 17 Oct 2022, 01:50, edited 1 time in total.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619660 [2]
Send PM