GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Sep 2018, 19:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Space Enthusiast: The fact that the government has ignored space

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Space Enthusiast: The fact that the government has ignored space  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2018, 12:19
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

59% (01:32) correct 41% (01:30) wrong based on 177 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Space Enthusiast: The fact that the government has ignored space science is reprehensible. In the past five years the current administration has spent less than 2.5 billion dollars on promising missions to explore the outer planets and understand the fundamental properties of our universe and the origins of life.

Politician: Your claims are erroneous and absurd. The current administration has allocated over 4 billion dollars for exactly the sort of scientific space missions you claim we do not support!

The apparent contradiction in the claims of the space enthusiast and the politician could best be resolved if which of the following was true?

A- Many space missions require billions of dollars and, often, decades of development and flight before returning any useful scientific data.

B- Politicians often select space missions for funding based not on the mission's potential scientific return but rather on an assessment of the mission's appeal to the public sense of imagination and adventure.

C- Without government funding, projects as complex as space missions to explore the outer planets are unlikely to ever come to fruition.

D- Often the budgetary allocations assigned to one agency or project are instead called upon to fund emergency needs of a different agency or project.

E- Many politicians support space exploration very strongly, albeit sometimes for selfish reasons ranging from creating jobs in their voting districts to seeking exciting ways of inspiring the public

If you liked my post, kindly give me a Kudos. Thanks.

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Re: Space Enthusiast: The fact that the government has ignored space  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2018, 14:45
B imo...

As the space enthusiast says on promising missions to explore...

And politician says for exactly the sort of scientific space missions.. so B imo.

Cheers!!

Pls give kudos if it helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Re: Space Enthusiast: The fact that the government has ignored space  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2018, 02:53
IMO C.... I would not go with B because in the argument claims regarding returns on the mission etc is not mentioned. Thus, discussing on that or stating that is irrelevant.

Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.17

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2018, 04:30
rohan2345 wrote:
Space Enthusiast: The fact that the government has ignored space science is reprehensible. In the past five years the current administration has spent less than 2.5 billion dollars on promising missions to explore the outer planets and understand the fundamental properties of our universe and the origins of life.

Politician: Your claims are erroneous and absurd. The current administration has allocated over 4 billion dollars for exactly the sort of scientific space missions you claim we do not support!

The apparent contradiction in the claims of the space enthusiast and the politician could best be resolved if which of the following was true?

A- Many space missions require billions of dollars and, often, decades of development and flight before returning any useful scientific data.

B- Politicians often select space missions for funding based not on the mission's potential scientific return but rather on an assessment of the mission's appeal to the public sense of imagination and adventure.

C- Without government funding, projects as complex as space missions to explore the outer planets are unlikely to ever come to fruition.

D- Often the budgetary allocations assigned to one agency or project are instead called upon to fund emergency needs of a different agency or project.

E- Many politicians support space exploration very strongly, albeit sometimes for selfish reasons ranging from creating jobs in their voting districts to seeking exciting ways of inspiring the public

I think the answer is D, as it explains why ultimately only 2.5 billion dollars are used in the projects described despite the fact that 4 billion dollars are initially allocated for the same. It thus resolves the contradiction between the politician and the enthusiast, without showing any of the two to be wrong.
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V41

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2018, 10:45
abhigulia3006 wrote:
rohan2345 wrote:

I think the answer is D, as it explains why ultimately only 2.5 billion dollars are used in the projects described despite the fact that 4 billion dollars are initially allocated for the same. It thus resolves the contradiction between the politician and the enthusiast, without showing any of the two to be wrong.

I agree with your explanation, but I want to extend it a bit. If we imagine the case on a timeline it could look like this:

2013: The politician allocates 4 billion dollars for space projext X, which is predicted to be highly successful.
2015: There is an emergency for project Y. Let's say a spaceship has to be repaired for the cost of 1.5 billion dollars. However, the poltician doesn't receive any feedback about the emergency based reallocation of a part of the funds. Thus, only 2.5 billion dollars can be spend on project X, but the politician isn't aware of this new situation.
2018: The space enthusiast claims that only 2.5 billion dollars were spent on the highly promising project X.

In conclusion, both the politician and the space enthuasiast are correct as choice D) states.

Hope that helps :-)

My goal: 700 GMAT score - REACHED :-) | My debrief - first attempt 710 (Q44,V41,IR7)

If I could help you with my answer, consider giving me Kudos

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: ISB '19, IIMB
GMAT 1: 580 Q43 V27
GMAT 2: 650 Q32 V48
GRE 1: Q160 V151
GPA: 3.99
WE: Design (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2018, 20:11
rohan2345 wrote:

Very good question. Initially I was caught up between options B and E thinking if politics do anything out of selfish reasons or merely to attract common people that will turn out to be useless or wastage. This reasoning is purely due to my personal bias. However that may not be the case even if B and E are true there is still a chance that these missions will end up well funded and successful . That was a realisation I had at 1min 15 sec . Then I quickly looked at other options of which D seems to fit the bill. Where D means there still is funding allocated however the money was diverted at a later stage.

Posted from my mobile device
V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2018, 01:46
Here is the official explanation for this question.

Correct Answer: D

This prompt involves the sort of shift in language that is common among Explain questions. The space enthusiast speaks of how much has been spent on space and the politician of how much has been allocated. This small change in words is key to understanding this question, and the correct answer, choice D provides a link between these two terms and a reason why all of the 4 billion dollars in allocated funding may not make it to the launch pad. The remaining answer choices are out of scope.

Hope this helps. All the best!

If you liked my post, kindly give me a Kudos. Thanks.

GMAT Club Bot
Space Enthusiast: The fact that the government has ignored space &nbs [#permalink] 04 Apr 2018, 01:46

Space Enthusiast: The fact that the government has ignored space

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap