Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 16:49 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 16:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Starting my GMAT Studying, need advice on study methods and scheduling [#permalink]
Answered my own question, halfway-ish through the roadmap book and it's VERY helpful! Great foundation for those doing self-study and have no idea where to start. Just from what I've read so far, I'll be purchasing the OG questions from GMAC as well to put what I'm learning from guides into actual problems.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1085 [1]
Given Kudos: 103
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Re: Starting my GMAT Studying, need advice on study methods and scheduling [#permalink]
Kudos
0mni wrote:
Answered my own question, halfway-ish through the roadmap book and it's VERY helpful! Great foundation for those doing self-study and have no idea where to start. Just from what I've read so far, I'll be purchasing the OG questions from GMAC as well to put what I'm learning from guides into actual problems.

OG questions are must have stuffs and they are the closest replica of original GMAT questions. I suggest you buy OG guide, Verbal Review, QP1, EP1 and EP2 and start practicing and reviewing(VERY IMPORTANT) the OG questions once you finish all the concepts from MGMAT.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Starting my GMAT Studying, need advice on study methods and scheduling [#permalink]
saswata4s wrote:
0mni wrote:

OG questions are must have stuffs and they are the closest replica of original GMAT questions. I suggest you buy OG guide, Verbal Review, QP1, EP1 and EP2 and start practicing and reviewing(VERY IMPORTANT) the OG questions once you finish all the concepts from MGMAT.

Thanks for your response! I do have a question in regards to these GMAC resources, as I haven't seen or read about them quite yet. How are these software/books laid out? Are the books full of questions, or are they guides+ questions like the MGMAT book? Do GMAC OG questions come in book and online form, or just one or the other?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1085 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
0mni wrote:
Thanks for your response! I do have a question in regards to these GMAC resources, as I haven't seen or read about them quite yet. How are these software/books laid out? Are the books full of questions, or are they guides+ questions like the MGMAT book? Do GMAC OG questions come in book and online form, or just one or the other?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

There are general guidelines about the GMAT test and each section, but no study guidelines. The books mainly contain questions, answers, and explanations.

The questions are best in class.
The explanations are worst in class :-) ! Sorry, I am exaggerating, but the explanations are not so good. Come visit GC for better explanations :-) . I suggest you get a OG-2018 first and get the flavor of actual GMAT questions. This is what GMAC says about OG:

The GMAT® Official Guide 2018 helps you improve your quantitative, verbal and integrated reasoning skills with over 900 practice questions and answer explanations from real exams. Focus your study on where you need the most help. This guide offers:

900 real questions from past GMAT exams, including 130 never-before-seen questions
An overview of the exam to help you get familiar with the content and format
Detailed answer explanations that explain how the test maker thinks about a question
Actual essay topics, sample responses, and scoring information
Comprehensive math review
Questions organized in order of difficulty from easiest to hardest
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Starting my GMAT Studying, need advice on study methods and scheduling [#permalink]
Got it! Thanks again for your help!

I have heard OG explanations can be dodgy, so I'll definitely come to GC for better ones :).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1085 [0]
Send PM
0mni wrote:
Got it! Thanks again for your help!

My study plan that I have decided on is as follows:

Read each chapter of MGMAT guides (books 0-10).
Work through problems at the end of each chapter in MGMAT guides. (right after reading them)
Work through sets of 3-5 problems correlated with each MGMAT chapter from OG.
Review the timing it took for all questions, and review my answers (both from text and GC explanations)
Make flashcards for the questions I got wrong, then put all questions I did into an excel spreadsheet to ensure that I don't work the same problem twice.

Over time, my sets of problems from OG will increase to close to 20 (from current and previous chapters), saving entire exams for the practice tests. I plan on diversifying the questions based on category and question type, with 50% random and 50% based on my needs. Any tweaks or recommendations to my study plan are welcome.

I'm sure this topic will be covered later on in my readings, but based on this study plan, when should I take another full practice CAT exam?

Sounds good :thumbup: . I suggest take the free GMATPREP CAT1 after you finish the OG. GMATPREP CATs are the actual indicator of your readiness and performance.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
For the GMAT OG guides, is it recommended to purchase the bundle (OG review + OG quant review + OG verbal review), or start off with the OG review and purchase the others later on if necessary?

Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [1]
Given Kudos: 68
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
WE:Education (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
0mni wrote:
For the GMAT OG guides, is it recommended to purchase the bundle (OG review + OG quant review + OG verbal review), or start off with the OG review and purchase the others later on if necessary?

Thanks!

Its not necessary to purchase the entire bundle, unless you are getting a great discount! You can start with the main textbook. Also, if you are strong in one of the sections (Say Quant), you can even skip the additional book.

Refer the link below for the best GMAT books:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-ve ... ml?fl=menu

Best,
Vivek
GMAT Club Bot