GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2018, 14:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Stores X, Y, and Z each sell a certain item that has a given

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 19
Schools: LBS MIF '15
Stores X, Y, and Z each sell a certain item that has a given  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 14 Oct 2013, 06:55
6
35
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

72% (00:59) correct 28% (01:24) wrong based on 936 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Stores X, Y, and Z each sell a certain item that has a given list price. Stores X and Y are located in a state with a 5 percent sales tax, and both sell the item at a 5 percent discount off list price, while Store Z is located in a state with no sales tax and gives no discounts. Store X applies its discounts first and then charges sales tax on the discounted price, while Store Y adds the tax first and then applies the discount to the price with tax. If x and y are the prices, with tax and discount, charged by Stores X and Y, respectively, and z is the price charged by Store Z, which of the following statements correctly describes the relationship among x, y, and z?

A. x=y=z
B. x=y<z
C. x<y<z
D. x<z<y
E. y<z<x

Originally posted by bulletpoint on 14 Oct 2013, 06:24.
Last edited by Bunuel on 14 Oct 2013, 06:55, edited 1 time in total.
Moved to PS forum.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 50007
Re: Stores X, Y, and Z each sell a certain item that has a given  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2013, 06:58
14
8
bulletpoint wrote:
Stores X, Y, and Z each sell a certain item that has a given list price. Stores X and Y are located in a state with a 5 percent sales tax, and both sell the item at a 5 percent discount off list price, while Store Z is located in a state with no sales tax and gives no discounts. Store X applies its discounts first and then charges sales tax on the discounted price, while Store Y adds the tax first and then applies the discount to the price with tax. If x and y are the prices, with tax and discount, charged by Stores X and Y, respectively, and z is the price charged by Store Z, which of the following statements correctly describes the relationship among x, y, and z?

A. x=y=z
B. x=y<z
C. x<y<z
D. x<z<y
E. y<z<x


Say the price of the item is 100. Then:

x = (100*0.95)*1.05 < 100.
y = (100*1.05)*0.95 < 100.
z = 100.

So, we have that x=y<z.

Answer: B.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

General Discussion
Current Student
User avatar
B
Joined: 04 Jul 2014
Posts: 299
Location: India
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
GMAT 2: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.58
WE: Analyst (Accounting)
Reviews Badge
Re: Stores X, Y, and Z each sell a certain item that has a given  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2014, 03:18
2
Hi Bunuel,

I tried this on a spreadsheet. I took a common number (100) and did 2 sets of operations for 2 options:
option 1 (Store Y) added X% and subtracted Y% from the result of the first operation
option 2 (Store X) subtracted Y% and added X% from the result of the first operation
Attachment:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG [ 1.74 KiB | Viewed 21719 times ]

I always got the same answer. Is this a property that we can by heart?
_________________

Cheers!!

JA
If you like my post, let me know. Give me a kudos! :)

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 50007
Stores X, Y, and Z each sell a certain item that has a given  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2014, 06:44
5
1
joseph0alexander wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

I tried this on a spreadsheet. I took a common number (100) and did 2 sets of operations for 2 options:
option 1 (Store Y) added X% and subtracted Y% from the result of the first operation
option 2 (Store X) subtracted Y% and added X% from the result of the first operation
Attachment:
Capture.PNG

I always got the same answer. Is this a property that we can by heart?


Yes, increasing a quantity by x% and then decreasing the result by y% is the same as decreasing by y% and then increasing the result by x%:

\([p*(1 + \frac{x}{100})]*(1 - \frac{y}{100}) = [p*(1 -\frac{y}{100})]*(1 + \frac{x}{100})\)
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 04 Sep 2012
Posts: 13
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3
WE: Securities Sales and Trading (Other)
Re: Stores X, Y, and Z each sell a certain item that has a given  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2015, 16:30
Thought process: We're dealing with percents. Increase and decrease.
Strategy: Pick numbers and plow through the calculations. Choose 100 or another easy round number.

See that x=y<z
CHOOSE B

ON TO THE NEXT
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 May 2013
Posts: 1
Re: Stores X, Y, and Z each sell a certain item that has a given  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2016, 03:02
Bunuel Can you please explain if this is correct - If we used the formula instead of successive discounts ie A + B + AB/100 (where A and B are successive discounts/percentages applied to the same quantity) then the ans for final list price value is:

X: (-5) + 5 -25/100 (X) => X is the list price
Y: 5 - 5 -25/100 (Y) => Y is the list price

But seems like the final list price value is different using this formula. Is it incorrect to use it here?
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 19 Jan 2016
Posts: 39
Re: Stores X, Y, and Z each sell a certain item that has a given  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2016, 08:03
Hi Bunnel,


I tried solving this question by taking the value of the product as 100. A 5% decrease results 95 (discounted price) after we add the tax to this value it is equal to 99.3. If the sales tax is added and then discounted its 101.5. Can you please explain what am i missing here ?
Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Stepping into my 10 years long dream
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3622
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Stores X, Y, and Z each sell a certain item that has a given  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2016, 08:50
1
nikitamitra wrote:
Bunuel Can you please explain if this is correct - If we used the formula instead of successive discounts ie A + B + AB/100 (where A and B are successive discounts/percentages applied to the same quantity) then the ans for final list price value is:

X: (-5) + 5 -25/100 (X) => X is the list price
Y: 5 - 5 -25/100 (Y) => Y is the list price

But seems like the final list price value is different using this formula. Is it incorrect to use it here?


Yes, using the formula also we will get the same result. Note that List price of the product is same. So, Try taking the value of each product 'a' and then substutitute in your formula. You will get the result.

anuj11 wrote:
Hi Bunnel,


I tried solving this question by taking the value of the product as 100. A 5% decrease results 95 (discounted price) after we add the tax to this value it is equal to 99.3. If the sales tax is added and then discounted its 101.5. Can you please explain what am i missing here ?


You are making a calculation mistake.

List price 100.

Case 1 : 5% increase then 5% discount. = 105 * 0.95

Case 2 : 5% discount the n 5% increase = 95 *1.05

Both will be equal.
_________________

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!



Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Check our new About Us Page here.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Nov 2015
Posts: 2
Re: Stores X, Y, and Z each sell a certain item that has a given  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2017, 20:29
Bunuel wrote:
bulletpoint wrote:
Stores X, Y, and Z each sell a certain item that has a given list price. Stores X and Y are located in a state with a 5 percent sales tax, and both sell the item at a 5 percent discount off list price, while Store Z is located in a state with no sales tax and gives no discounts. Store X applies its discounts first and then charges sales tax on the discounted price, while Store Y adds the tax first and then applies the discount to the price with tax. If x and y are the prices, with tax and discount, charged by Stores X and Y, respectively, and z is the price charged by Store Z, which of the following statements correctly describes the relationship among x, y, and z?

A. x=y=z
B. x=y<z
C. x<y<z
D. x<z<y
E. y<z<x


Say the price of the item is 100. Then:

x = (100*0.95)*1.05 < 100.
y = (100*1.05)*0.95 < 100.
z = 100.

So, we have that x=y<z.

Answer: B.


Hi, I understand that Y<Z, but could you please explain why X equals to Y<Z?
DS Forum Moderator
avatar
P
Joined: 22 Aug 2013
Posts: 1348
Location: India
Premium Member
Re: Stores X, Y, and Z each sell a certain item that has a given  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2017, 22:43
nielsenn wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
bulletpoint wrote:
Stores X, Y, and Z each sell a certain item that has a given list price. Stores X and Y are located in a state with a 5 percent sales tax, and both sell the item at a 5 percent discount off list price, while Store Z is located in a state with no sales tax and gives no discounts. Store X applies its discounts first and then charges sales tax on the discounted price, while Store Y adds the tax first and then applies the discount to the price with tax. If x and y are the prices, with tax and discount, charged by Stores X and Y, respectively, and z is the price charged by Store Z, which of the following statements correctly describes the relationship among x, y, and z?

A. x=y=z
B. x=y<z
C. x<y<z
D. x<z<y
E. y<z<x


Say the price of the item is 100. Then:

x = (100*0.95)*1.05 < 100.
y = (100*1.05)*0.95 < 100.
z = 100.

So, we have that x=y<z.

Answer: B.


Hi, I understand that Y<Z, but could you please explain why X equals to Y<Z?


Hi

x=y<z simply means that x and y are equal to each other, and both are less than z.
Target Test Prep Representative
User avatar
G
Status: Head GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Joined: 04 Mar 2011
Posts: 2830
Re: Stores X, Y, and Z each sell a certain item that has a given  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2017, 16:46
bulletpoint wrote:
Stores X, Y, and Z each sell a certain item that has a given list price. Stores X and Y are located in a state with a 5 percent sales tax, and both sell the item at a 5 percent discount off list price, while Store Z is located in a state with no sales tax and gives no discounts. Store X applies its discounts first and then charges sales tax on the discounted price, while Store Y adds the tax first and then applies the discount to the price with tax. If x and y are the prices, with tax and discount, charged by Stores X and Y, respectively, and z is the price charged by Store Z, which of the following statements correctly describes the relationship among x, y, and z?

A. x=y=z
B. x=y<z
C. x<y<z
D. x<z<y
E. y<z<x


We are given that Stores X and Y are located in a state with a 5 percent sales tax, and both sell an item at a 5 percent discount off list price, while Store Z is located in a state with no sales tax and gives no discounts.

We are also given that Store X applies its discounts first and then charges sales tax on the discounted price, while Store Y adds the tax first and then applies the discount to the price with tax.

Let’s determine the prices, x, y, and z and let the original price of the item = 100.

Price at Store X:

(100)(0.95)(1.05) = $99.75

Price at Store Y:

(100)(1.05)(0.95) = $99.75

Price at Store Z:

$100

Thus, x = y < z

Answer: B
_________________

Jeffery Miller
Head of GMAT Instruction

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 14 Jul 2017
Posts: 15
Re: Stores X, Y, and Z each sell a certain item that has a given  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2018, 00:09
Hi

Cant we use the %change formula = x + y + (xy/100) to calculate two successive % change instead of calculating the discount and tax seperately??

Posted from my mobile device
DS Forum Moderator
avatar
P
Joined: 22 Aug 2013
Posts: 1348
Location: India
Premium Member
Re: Stores X, Y, and Z each sell a certain item that has a given  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2018, 00:15
1
RashmiT wrote:
Hi

Cant we use the %change formula = x + y + (xy/100) to calculate two successive % change instead of calculating the discount and tax seperately??

Posted from my mobile device


Hi

Yes we can do that. Discount of 5% would mean -5% change, while tax of 5% would mean +5% change.

So, for Store X, it would be = -5 + 5 + (-5)*5/100 = - 2.5% change overall
and for Store Y, it would be = +5 -5 + 5*(-5)/100 = -2.5% change overall

So the final values for Stores X and Y would be same
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 09 Apr 2018
Posts: 20
CAT Tests
Stores X, Y, and Z each sell a certain item that has a given  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2018, 04:45
While this questions is straight, I made a very silly mistake, in a hurry missed that, for y discount is applied to (List Price + Sales Tax), I still feel there is some contradiction in the question stem.

Stem says -
1. Stores X, Y, and Z each sell a certain item that has a given list price.
2. X&Y give 5 percent discount off list price.
Now this List Price is a given price for ALL X, Y & Z.
This clearly means that if LP is a given value (say 100), the Value of Discount on LP is
5% LP in X & Y (=$5), and $0 in Z.

In such a case, The S.Ps of all are
X: (100 - 5)*1.05 = $99.75
Y: (100*1.05)- (5% of LP) = 105 - 5 = $100
Z: $100
So, x < y = z
Of course this is incorrect given the OA, but I strongly feel there is some contradiction (though minimal) in the question stem. Is it that I am thinking too much or missing something here?
Perhaps the question shouldn't have mentioned off list price for the Discount Applied by X and Y.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 06 Jun 2018
Posts: 38
GMAT 1: 590 Q44 V27
GMAT 2: 540 Q42 V22
CAT Tests
Re: Stores X, Y, and Z each sell a certain item that has a given  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2018, 04:42
Bunuel, abhimahna chetan2u - I have got answer correct by considering list price as 100 however where is it mentioned that list price are same ? If list price of x and y is different then B can not be answer and even we do not in that case z will be less or more than x and y.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 6967
Re: Stores X, Y, and Z each sell a certain item that has a given  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2018, 06:47
NAvinash wrote:
Bunuel, abhimahna chetan2u - I have got answer correct by considering list price as 100 however where is it mentioned that list price are same ? If list price of x and y is different then B can not be answer and even we do not in that case z will be less or more than x and y.


Hi it is given a certain item that has a list price..
This points to same item and same price..

Otherwise it would a certain item that has a list price for each place/that has a different list price or something to that effect
_________________

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html


GMAT online Tutor

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Stores X, Y, and Z each sell a certain item that has a given &nbs [#permalink] 20 Oct 2018, 06:47
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Stores X, Y, and Z each sell a certain item that has a given

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.