Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 21:46 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 21:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 605-655 Levelx   Strengthenx                                 
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63696 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [1]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63696 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Studies in restaurants show that the tips left by customers who pay th [#permalink]
Expert Reply
shivangiindore wrote:
I understand why D would be wrong. But marking B as the ans would be similar to saying that if i tell you i like tea, you are assuming then that i will not like any other drink. Maybe i even hate the other drinks(say coffee for example). Ans B says that while people with a CC logo are reminded to pay more tips, people who are in debt are reminded that they can't pay more when they see the CC logo. The passage talks only about people who can pay more tip on seeing the logo. We don't have info on people who can't pay more tip. Does the GMAT test such reasoning too?

Remember that we’re looking for an answer choice that supports the psychologists’ interpretation. We’re not looking for an answer choice that proves the psychologists’ interpretation.

You’re right that the psychologists’ interpretation is about the behavior of those who could increase their tip, and (B) is about the behavior of those who are unlikely to increase their tip. So we definitely can’t prove anything conclusively on the basis of (B).

But we’re not looking to do that. (B) supports the idea that the presence (or lack thereof) of a credit-card logo has some impact on consumer’s spending habits. That doesn’t prove the psychologists’ interpretation, but it does support it. And for that reason, (B) is the best answer choice.

I hope that helps!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7629 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Re: Studies in restaurants show that the tips left by customers who pay th [#permalink]
Kudos
Top Contributor
Studies in restaurants show that the tips left by customers who pay their bill in cash tend to be larger when the bill is presented on a tray that bears a credit-card logo. Consumer psychologists hypothesize that simply seeing a credit-card logo makes many credit-card holders willing to spend more because it reminds them that their spending power exceeds the cash they have immediately available.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the psychologists’ interpretation of the studies?

Question type: Weaken the Argument

Conclusion: Seeing a credit-card logo makes many credit-card holders willing to spend more because it reminds them that their spending power exceeds the cash they have immediately available.

Task at hand: We have to show that seeing a credit-card logo does not necessarily make credit-card holders willing to spend more. This could be because the logo reminds them that their spending power does not necessarily exceed the cash they have immediately available.

A. The effect noted in the studies is not limited to patrons who have credit cards. It may not be, but this does not show that seeing a credit-card logo does not make credit-card holders spend more.

B. Patrons who are under financial pressure from their credit-card obligations tend to tip less when presented with a restaurant bill on a tray with credit-card logo than when the tray has no logo. The theory being proposed by Consumer Psychologists is that seeing a logo will make credit-card holders spend more because they are reminded that they have high spending power. This option shows us that seeing the logo makes them spend less because they are reminded that their spending power is not so high after all. This weakens the conclusion.

C. In virtually all of the cases in the studies, the patrons who paid bills in cash did not possess credit cards. This actually weakens the hypothesis. If a guy doesn't have a credit card, how would a credit card logo remind him of his higher spending power?

D. In general, restaurant patrons who pay their bills in cash leave larger tips than do those who pay by credit card. Out of scope

E. The percentage of restaurant bills paid with a given brand of credit card increases when that credit card’s logo is displayed on the tray with which the bill is prepared. Which brand is used is irrelevant.

- Nitha Jay
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
Send PM
The answer that most strongly supports the psychologists' interpretation of the studies is B. If patrons who are under financial pressure from their credit-card obligations tend to tip less when presented with a restaurant bill on a tray with a credit-card logo than when the tray has no logo, it suggests that the credit-card logo triggers thoughts of debt and financial stress, leading to a decrease in willingness to spend. This finding supports the psychologists' interpretation that the credit-card logo on the tray reminds credit-card holders of their spending power and influences their tipping behavior.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
premise: CC reminds them their spending power greater than the cash they have right now.
Conclusion: CC holders are willing to spend more when a tray is presented with a credit-card logo.

what is our duty when we see the strengthening questions?
The argument or proposition presented in the options choices strengthens the conclusion by providing another premise ( it may be outside of the context, but it will be fine as long as the other premise strengthens the argument). it would still be fine the option choice which strengthens by little at least my opinion, may be I wrong correct me IF I was.

When I read option choice(b) carefully, My mind immediately told me that at least they tend to tip less, naa if they are under financial pressure from their credit-credit obligations) or whatever condition they have. that's why choice(b) is the best answer because it strengthens by little. okay, I got it what you are thinking the conclusion said Cc holder spends more and you said less. how can it strengthens the conclusion, instead it weakens the conclusion. Okay let me illustrate my claim by presenting an example. Now, Imagine you are in a KFC hotel in Los Angeles, CA, United States.
You have 100 dollar in your pocket and are hungry. then you looked the menu as you are considering your pocket money and ordered the crispy chicken sandwich from the waiter, which prices $8. After a while, your order comes to your table. after you delivered the crispy in your stomach, You are thinking that it was delicious, and today, I may give a extra tips. when a bill is presented on the tray that carry a Credit-card(like, American Express).Your inner dialogue starts to battle, I have a also a visa card which has amount of $4,000.Your ego can't settle down in minimum amount when you saw the debit card, you, finally, will end up paying $50 dollar.( more than you imagined). you'll regret remembering the whole situation when you reached a home. that is the another part, I won't discuss about it.

similarly, Your friend went to same KFC with same amount. but He has been facing financial pressure from credit-card obligations for 1 month. but he end up paying the $ 13 dollar ($8 dollar for crispy, 5 dollar for tips).

What I am trying to emphasis on here is that They both strengthens the argument because they spend willing to the more money as to them. as to you, you spend more($50). likewise, as to your friend, he spend more($13) at least his point of view. Your friend spends less money the you does. that doesn't mean by he is spending less money. and the option(b) clearly say that ??? financial pressure from their credit-card obligations tend to tip less when presented with a restaurant bill on a tray with credit-card logo. that also doesn't mean by they don't tip at all.

Can anyone(e-GMAT,GMATNinja) shed more light on my argument? I will more happy if anyone find any fallacies in my logical reasoning?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 487 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Quote:
premise: CC reminds them their spending power greater than the cash they have right now.
Conclusion: CC holders are willing to spend more when a tray is presented with a credit-card logo.

Well firstly there's a bit of an issue here with premise, conclusion, and specificity.

The premise is that 'people who tip with cash tip more when there is a credit card logo present.' The conclusion we're evaluating is 'the presence of the logo reminds them they have more spending power than what is currently on them.'

To strengthen that argument, we need to either:

--make another plausible explanation for the 'higher cash tips on trays with credit card logo' less likely.
--give more evidence that awareness of 'spending power from credit cards' causes higher tips.

A subtle version of the second one, though, would be to show the *opposite*: that awareness of 'LESS spending power due to credit cards' causes LOWER tips. This is what B gets to: people who have financial difficulties due to credit card debt tip LESS when there is a logo present, giving more credence to the idea that the presence of a credit card logo makes people think about their spending power from credit cards: if their CC spending power is GOOD, more tips; if BAD, less tips.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts