Last visit was: 27 Jul 2024, 06:02 It is currently 27 Jul 2024, 06:02
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [5]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 33666 [0]
Given Kudos: 4581
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 204 [1]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
The government’s design for the new cross-state bridge [#permalink]
Kudos
SaudKhan wrote:
y not C ??
and can you please explain y the OA is D ???

Analysts concluded that the bid would only just cover Sherwin & Co's costs on the paint, but Sherwin & Co executives claim that winning the bid will actually make a profit for the company.
the correct answer choice must reconcile this paradox and let these two facts coexist.

(C)The manufacturing facilities for the Plexico Bridge components and those for the specialized coating to be supplied by Sherwin & Co are located very near each other.
this fact that the manufacturing facilities of the Plexico Bridge components and those for the specialized coating are located very near does not explain how they can make profit.
maybe you perceived this fact can help in lowering such sort of costs as transportation. but it does not explain how this proximity location can make profit!

but in option D)When bridge owners need to repaint a worn-out bridge due to time and corrosion, they almost invariably repaint it with a coating of exactly the same make and type from the same supplier.
it says that maybe on the first round of painting what they earn would only just cover Sherwin & Co's costs , but on the next time when they want to renew coating they will actually make a profit.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 126
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: ISB '18 (A)
GPA: 2.7
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: The government’s design for the new cross-state bridge [#permalink]
bb61 wrote:
SaudKhan wrote:
y not C ??
and can you please explain y the OA is D ???

Analysts concluded that the bid would only just cover Sherwin & Co's costs on the paint, but Sherwin & Co executives claim that winning the bid will actually make a profit for the company.
the correct answer choice must reconcile this paradox and let these two facts coexist.

(C)The manufacturing facilities for the Plexico Bridge components and those for the specialized coating to be supplied by Sherwin & Co are located very near each other.
this fact that the manufacturing facilities of the Plexico Bridge components and those for the specialized coating are located very near does not explain how they can make profit.
maybe you perceived this fact can help in lowering such sort of costs as transportation. but it does not explain how this proximity location can make profit!

but in option D)When bridge owners need to repaint a worn-out bridge due to time and corrosion, they almost invariably repaint it with a coating of exactly the same make and type from the same supplier.
it says that maybe on the first round of painting what they earn would only just cover Sherwin & Co's costs , but on the next time when they want to renew coating they will actually make a profit.

Hi,
Though i perceive D to be better than other options I still have my concerns for this option. Lt us take an e.g
Sherwin & co produces 1bucket paint @ 100$ (selling price). Let the cost to produce 1bucket of paint = 90$. Let other miscellaneous setup costs add utp 10$. So essentially, the first time the paint is sold there is no profit for sherwin & co ( sp- cp -miscll costs= 100 -90 -10 =0 ). But from next time onwards these miscllaneous setup costs would not be there and therefore Sherwin & co can earn a profit of 100$ - 90$ =10$ everytime . Please tell me whether my understanding is correct or not.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 204 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
mshrek wrote:
Hi,
Though i perceive D to be better than other options I still have my concerns for this option. Lt us take an e.g
Sherwin & co produces 1bucket paint @ 100$ (selling price). Let the cost to produce 1bucket of paint = 90$. Let other miscellaneous setup costs add utp 10$. So essentially, the first time the paint is sold there is no profit for sherwin & co ( sp- cp -miscll costs= 100 -90 -10 =0 ). But from next time onwards these miscllaneous setup costs would not be there and therefore Sherwin & co can earn a profit of 100$ - 90$ =10$ everytime . Please tell me whether my understanding is correct or not.

I think you are making an assumption that the company cannot raise its price for the next round.
but in option D the only limitation is that "they almost invariably repaint it with a coating of exactly the same make and type from the same supplier" but not the second time price. maybe the supplier can charge higher when they know they are the sole provider for their customer.
in this case if you change 100 to 150 then it will make sense.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [1]
Given Kudos: 126
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: ISB '18 (A)
GPA: 2.7
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM