GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Sep 2018, 19:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The government’s design for the new cross-state bridge

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
The government’s design for the new cross-state bridge  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2014, 06:11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

71% (01:21) correct 29% (02:11) wrong based on 463 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The government’s design for the new cross-state bridge, the Plexico Bridge, makes use of a special reflective coating that is intended to make the bridge shine like a hologram from miles away. The winning bid for supplying the special paint coating was submitted by Sherwin & Co. Analysts concluded that the bid would only just cover Sherwin & Co's costs on the paint, but Sherwin & Co executives claim that winning the bid will actually make a profit for the company.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly justifies the claim made by Sherwin & Co’s executives?
(A)In any government authorized model, the specialized coating on the bridge structures is exactly the same make and model as the coating used on the ramp structure going onto the bridge.

(B)Sherwin & Co holds exclusive contracts to supply the government with the coating for a number of other bridges authorized by the government.

(C)The manufacturing facilities for the Plexico Bridge components and those for the specialized coating to be supplied by Sherwin & Co are located very near each other.

(D)When bridge owners need to repaint a worn-out bridge due to time and corrosion, they almost invariably repaint it with a coating of exactly the same make and type from the same supplier.

(E)When the government awarded the coating contract to Sherwin & Co, the only criterion on which Sherwin & Co’s bid was clearly ahead of its competitors' bids was price.
Board of Directors
P
Re: The government’s design for the new cross-state bridge  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2014, 14:47
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2014, 05:56
y not C ??
and can you please explain y the OA is D ???
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2014, 00:33
SaudKhan wrote:
y not C ??

Analysts concluded that the bid would only just cover Sherwin & Co's costs on the paint, but Sherwin & Co executives claim that winning the bid will actually make a profit for the company.
the correct answer choice must reconcile this paradox and let these two facts coexist.

(C)The manufacturing facilities for the Plexico Bridge components and those for the specialized coating to be supplied by Sherwin & Co are located very near each other.
this fact that the manufacturing facilities of the Plexico Bridge components and those for the specialized coating are located very near does not explain how they can make profit.
maybe you perceived this fact can help in lowering such sort of costs as transportation. but it does not explain how this proximity location can make profit!

but in option D)When bridge owners need to repaint a worn-out bridge due to time and corrosion, they almost invariably repaint it with a coating of exactly the same make and type from the same supplier.
it says that maybe on the first round of painting what they earn would only just cover Sherwin & Co's costs , but on the next time when they want to renew coating they will actually make a profit.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: ISB '18 (A)
GPA: 2.7
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2014, 00:48
bb61 wrote:
SaudKhan wrote:
y not C ??

Analysts concluded that the bid would only just cover Sherwin & Co's costs on the paint, but Sherwin & Co executives claim that winning the bid will actually make a profit for the company.
the correct answer choice must reconcile this paradox and let these two facts coexist.

this fact that the manufacturing facilities of the Plexico Bridge components and those for the specialized coating are located very near does not explain how they can make profit.
maybe you perceived this fact can help in lowering such sort of costs as transportation. but it does not explain how this proximity location can make profit!

but in option D)When bridge owners need to repaint a worn-out bridge due to time and corrosion, they almost invariably repaint it with a coating of exactly the same make and type from the same supplier.
it says that maybe on the first round of painting what they earn would only just cover Sherwin & Co's costs , but on the next time when they want to renew coating they will actually make a profit.

Hi,
Though i perceive D to be better than other options I still have my concerns for this option. Lt us take an e.g
Sherwin & co produces 1bucket paint @ 100$ (selling price). Let the cost to produce 1bucket of paint = 90$. Let other miscellaneous setup costs add utp 10$. So essentially, the first time the paint is sold there is no profit for sherwin & co ( sp- cp -miscll costs= 100 -90 -10 =0 ). But from next time onwards these miscllaneous setup costs would not be there and therefore Sherwin & co can earn a profit of 100$ - 90$ =10$ everytime . Please tell me whether my understanding is correct or not.

C'est la vie

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2014, 01:44
mshrek wrote:
Hi,
Though i perceive D to be better than other options I still have my concerns for this option. Lt us take an e.g
Sherwin & co produces 1bucket paint @ 100$ (selling price). Let the cost to produce 1bucket of paint = 90$. Let other miscellaneous setup costs add utp 10$. So essentially, the first time the paint is sold there is no profit for sherwin & co ( sp- cp -miscll costs= 100 -90 -10 =0 ). But from next time onwards these miscllaneous setup costs would not be there and therefore Sherwin & co can earn a profit of 100$ - 90$ =10$ everytime . Please tell me whether my understanding is correct or not.

I think you are making an assumption that the company cannot raise its price for the next round.
but in option D the only limitation is that "they almost invariably repaint it with a coating of exactly the same make and type from the same supplier" but not the second time price. maybe the supplier can charge higher when they know they are the sole provider for their customer.
in this case if you change 100 to 150 then it will make sense.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: ISB '18 (A)
GPA: 2.7
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2014, 02:08
bb61 wrote:
mshrek wrote:
Hi,

I think you are making an assumption that the company cannot raise its price for the next round.
but in option D the only limitation is that "they almost invariably repaint it with a coating of exactly the same make and type from the same supplier" but not the second time price. maybe the supplier can charge higher when they know they are the sole provider for their customer.
in this case if you change 100 to 150 then it will make sense.

Yes. That was an assumption I made. Thanks for the clarification. Option D makes more sense to me now

C'est la vie

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2015, 11:58
This question is a "copy" of this one the-maxilux-car-company-s-design-for-its-new-luxury-model-136971.html . Even the answer is D too=))

"Are you gangsters?" - "No we are Russians!"

Manager
Manager
S
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2018, 03:56
Why not A?..they could make up the lost man hours on the bridge by adding them onto the ramp...I am not certain what ramp structure is...

GMAT loosers are born not made !!!

Manager
Manager
S
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2018, 20:34
sony1000 wrote:
Why not A?..they could make up the lost man-hours on the bridge by adding them onto the ramp...I am not certain what ramp structure is...

A Ramp is part of another road joining the bridge. (Though it is not important to answer the question).

I am not sure what you mean by lost man-hours. All that option A is saying that Ramp will have the same coating as the bridge.
So Company will have some additional road to apply the coating, this information doesn't help to explain company claim.

We can explain the company claim if the company is expecting a long-term sale as result of this contract.
Attachments

Bridge Ramp.png
Bridge Ramp.png [ 2.66 MiB | Viewed 767 times ]

Kudos are always welcome.

The government’s design for the new cross-state bridge &nbs [#permalink] 17 Jan 2018, 20:34

The government’s design for the new cross-state bridge

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap