It is currently 23 Nov 2017, 11:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Maxilux car company's design for its new luxury model,

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

5 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 Jul 2012
Posts: 53

Kudos [?]: 1241 [5], given: 0

The Maxilux car company's design for its new luxury model, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2012, 14:43
5
This post received
KUDOS
27
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  15% (low)

Question Stats:

78% (01:23) correct 22% (01:34) wrong based on 2493 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Maxilux car company's design for its new luxury model, the Max 100, included a special design for the tires that was intended to complement the model's image. The winning bid for supplying these tires was submitted by Rubco. Analysts concluded that the bid would only just cover Rubco's costs on the tires, but Rubco executives claim that winning the bid will actually make a profit for the company.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly justifies the claim made by Rubco's executives?

(A) In any Maxilux model, the spare tire is exactly the same make and model as the tires that are mounted on the wheels.

(B) Rubco holds exclusive contracts to supply Maxilux with the tires for a number of other models made by Maxilux.

(C) The production facilities for the Max 100 and those for the tires to be supplied by Rubco are located very near each other.

(D) When people who have purchased a carefully designed luxury automobile need to replace a worn part of it, they almost invariably replace it with a part of exactly the same make and type.

(E) When Maxilux awarded the tire contract to Rubco, the only criterion on which Rubco's bid was clearly ahead of its competitors' bids was price.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 1241 [5], given: 0

3 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
Status: Final Countdown
Joined: 17 Mar 2010
Posts: 534

Kudos [?]: 361 [3], given: 75

Location: India
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Re: The Maxilux car company's design for its new luxury [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2012, 15:04
3
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
In real world , (D) would not work.Changing of worn out tire of luxury car require time (say a year;unlike sports cars which gets worn out in few minutes)and hence earning an upfront profit is not easy.Also , it is mentioned that just for the looks people will buy the matching company's tire compulsorily , again, it means that the sale of the stepney is a slow process.
(B) can be a good deal upfront, so that the tire manufacturer will be able to adjust profit margin through the tires for other models of car.
_________________

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Kudos [?]: 361 [3], given: 75

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 31 Aug 2011
Posts: 224

Kudos [?]: 263 [3], given: 56

Re: The Maxilux car company's design for its new luxury [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2012, 07:53
3
This post received
KUDOS
analysts said that there will be no profit in this bid . .co says there will be profit due to this bid. the profit can come from some other sale than the sale to company

hence D ,

A was a strong contender but its not mentioned that spare tyre was part of bid or not (if not part of bid then can have different price than the bid price)
_________________

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, I kinda need some =)

Kudos [?]: 263 [3], given: 56

Expert Post
17 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jun 2012
Posts: 73

Kudos [?]: 174 [17], given: 3

Location: United States
Schools: UCSD (Rady) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Education (Education)
Re: The Maxilux car company's design for its new luxury [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2012, 09:05
17
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
6
This post was
BOOKMARKED
(D). Profit = Revenue - Cost. The premises show that revenue from Maxilux will equal cost. So to strengthen the argument, we need additional revenue from elsewhere. (B) is close because it generates additional revenue, but that revenue is also from Maxilux so the revenue will most likely not exceed the cost here either. (D) is the only answer choice that adds the kind of outside revenue stream we want.
_________________

Ryan Jacobs | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Kudos [?]: 174 [17], given: 3

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
B
Status: Now or never
Joined: 07 Aug 2010
Posts: 343

Kudos [?]: 298 [0], given: 27

Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member
Re: The Maxilux car company's design for its new luxury [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2012, 23:05
rjacobsMGMAT wrote:
(D). Profit = Revenue - Cost. The premises show that revenue from Maxilux will equal cost. So to strengthen the argument, we need additional revenue from elsewhere. (B) is close because it generates additional revenue, but that revenue is also from Maxilux so the revenue will most likely not exceed the cost here either. (D) is the only answer choice that adds the kind of outside revenue stream we want.


@rjacobsMGMAT , great explanation, I marked C thinking that Analysts are not aware of the distance related costs and Co executives are, and that these co executives are sure of saving some cost in transportation. However it would be assuming too much I think. Please shed some light
_________________

Please press KUDOS if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 298 [0], given: 27

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Dec 2011
Posts: 40

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 29

The Maxilux car company's design for its new luxury model, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2012, 23:15
The Maxilux car company's design for its new luxury model, the Max 100, included a special design for the tires that was intended to complement the model's image. The winning bid for supplying these tires was submitted by Rubco. Analysts concluded that the bid would only just cover Rubco's costs on the tires, but Rubco executives claim that winning the bid will actually make a profit for the company.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly justifies the claim made by Rubco's executives?

(A) In any Maxilux model, the spare tire is exactly the same make and model as the tires that are mounted on the wheels.

(B) Rubco holds exclusive contracts to supply Maxilux with the tires for a number of other models made by Maxilux.

(C) The production facilities for the Max 100 and those for the tires to be supplied by Rubco are located very near each other.

(D) When people who have purchased a carefully designed luxury automobile need to replace a worn part of it, they almost invariably replace it with a part of exactly the same make and type.

(E) When Maxilux awarded the tire contract to Rubco, the only criterion on which Rubco's bid was clearly ahead of its competitors' bids was price.


-----------------------------
Can someone help me guide through the answer choices for this?

Many thanks.

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 29

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Been a long time guys...
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 1378

Kudos [?]: 1706 [1], given: 62

Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The Maxilux car company's design for its new luxury model [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2012, 23:29
1
This post received
KUDOS
elegan wrote:
The Maxilux car company's design for its new luxury model, the Max 100, included a special design for the tires that was intended to complement the model's image. The winning bid for supplying these tires was submitted by Rubco. Analysts concluded that the bid would only just cover Rubco's costs on the tires, but Rubco executives claim that winning the bid will actually make a profit for the company.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly justifies the claim made by Rubco's executives?

(A) In any Maxilux model, the spare tire is exactly the same make and model as the tires that are mounted on the wheels.

(B) Rubco holds exclusive contracts to supply Maxilux with the tires for a number of other models made by Maxilux.

(C) The production facilities for the Max 100 and those for the tires to be supplied by Rubco are located very near each other.

(D) When people who have purchased a carefully designed luxury automobile need to replace a worn part of it, they almost invariably replace it with a part of exactly the same make and type.

(E) When Maxilux awarded the tire contract to Rubco, the only criterion on which Rubco's bid was clearly ahead of its competitors' bids was price.


-----------------------------
Can someone help me guide through the answer choices for this?

Many thanks.


In this question you have to prove that even though company's bid just covers the Rubco's costs on the tyres, it will eventually lead to profits for the company. Certainly if there are long term profits, then its a good sign for the company.
On looking at the options, only D makes sense in that it explicity states that when people who purchased MAX 100 need to replace a worn part of it such as tyres, people will replace it with the same make and type, leading to huge profits for the company.
Hope that helps.
-s
_________________

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Kudos [?]: 1706 [1], given: 62

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Jun 2011
Posts: 78

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 15

Location: United States
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Re: The Maxilux car company's design for its new luxury model [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2012, 02:43
Marcab wrote:
elegan wrote:
The Maxilux car company's design for its new luxury model, the Max 100, included a special design for the tires that was intended to complement the model's image. The winning bid for supplying these tires was submitted by Rubco. Analysts concluded that the bid would only just cover Rubco's costs on the tires, but Rubco executives claim that winning the bid will actually make a profit for the company.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly justifies the claim made by Rubco's executives?

(A) In any Maxilux model, the spare tire is exactly the same make and model as the tires that are mounted on the wheels.

(B) Rubco holds exclusive contracts to supply Maxilux with the tires for a number of other models made by Maxilux.

(C) The production facilities for the Max 100 and those for the tires to be supplied by Rubco are located very near each other.

(D) When people who have purchased a carefully designed luxury automobile need to replace a worn part of it, they almost invariably replace it with a part of exactly the same make and type.

(E) When Maxilux awarded the tire contract to Rubco, the only criterion on which Rubco's bid was clearly ahead of its competitors' bids was price.


-----------------------------
Can someone help me guide through the answer choices for this?

Many thanks.


In this question you have to prove that even though company's bid just covers the Rubco's costs on the tyres, it will eventually lead to profits for the company. Certainly if there are long term profits, then its a good sign for the company.
On looking at the options, only D makes sense in that it explicity states that when people who purchased MAX 100 need to replace a worn part of it such as tyres, people will replace it with the same make and type, leading to huge profits for the company.
Hope that helps.
-s


I thought the OA would be between C & D. Shouldn't C win over D because In D (When people who have purchased a carefully designed luxury automobile need to replace a worn part of it, they almost invariably replace it with a part of exactly the same make and type.) the contract was for tyres. This option talks about worn parts and not specific to tyres. So increasing the scope of the argument.
Further Profit also means SP-CP. So in C, which states that the transportation cost to be less (the plants being near) actually says that the CP would be less, which indirectly means more profit...
Please let me know if I am thinking wrong here...

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 15

5 KUDOS received
VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Been a long time guys...
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 1378

Kudos [?]: 1706 [5], given: 62

Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The Maxilux car company's design for its new luxury model [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2012, 03:53
5
This post received
KUDOS
davidfrank wrote:
Marcab wrote:
elegan wrote:
The Maxilux car company's design for its new luxury model, the Max 100, included a special design for the tires that was intended to complement the model's image. The winning bid for supplying these tires was submitted by Rubco. Analysts concluded that the bid would only just cover Rubco's costs on the tires, but Rubco executives claim that winning the bid will actually make a profit for the company.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly justifies the claim made by Rubco's executives?

(A) In any Maxilux model, the spare tire is exactly the same make and model as the tires that are mounted on the wheels.

(B) Rubco holds exclusive contracts to supply Maxilux with the tires for a number of other models made by Maxilux.

(C) The production facilities for the Max 100 and those for the tires to be supplied by Rubco are located very near each other.

(D) When people who have purchased a carefully designed luxury automobile need to replace a worn part of it, they almost invariably replace it with a part of exactly the same make and type.

(E) When Maxilux awarded the tire contract to Rubco, the only criterion on which Rubco's bid was clearly ahead of its competitors' bids was price.


-----------------------------
Can someone help me guide through the answer choices for this?

Many thanks.


In this question you have to prove that even though company's bid just covers the Rubco's costs on the tyres, it will eventually lead to profits for the company. Certainly if there are long term profits, then its a good sign for the company.
On looking at the options, only D makes sense in that it explicity states that when people who purchased MAX 100 need to replace a worn part of it such as tyres, people will replace it with the same make and type, leading to huge profits for the company.
Hope that helps.
-s


I thought the OA would be between C & D. Shouldn't C win over D because In D (When people who have purchased a carefully designed luxury automobile need to replace a worn part of it, they almost invariably replace it with a part of exactly the same make and type.) the contract was for tyres. This option talks about worn parts and not specific to tyres. So increasing the scope of the argument.
Further Profit also means SP-CP. So in C, which states that the transportation cost to be less (the plants being near) actually says that the CP would be less, which indirectly means more profit...
Please let me know if I am thinking wrong here...


Hii David.
An example will clear all your doubts regarding C.
The screen of Apple's phone iPhone are manufactured by Samsung. They won the bid in, I guess, 2005. Now had Samsung shifted its production facility to US, do you guarantee that it might have been beneficial. NO.Simply because there are several other factors to be looked such as wages. If you think that it could be compensated by less transportation costs, then you may be assuming that transportation costs are much higher.
IN STRENGTHENING QUESTIONS, THERE IS NO PLACE FOR ASSUMPTIONS. A simple No No.
Now in the same example, just even Samsung just covers its production cost, but whenever there is a need to replace the screen, the people will replace it with the same make and type. So people will stick over to this brand. Now Samsung, even if increases its prices, will certainly rule. Though its my opinion :D
Hope that helps.
-s
_________________

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Kudos [?]: 1706 [5], given: 62

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Aug 2011
Posts: 388

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 82

Re: The Maxilux car company's design for its new luxury model [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2012, 08:52
Great Marcab..nice explanation..

i also chose D .. ...:))..
_________________

Bole So Nehal.. Sat Siri Akal.. Waheguru ji help me to get 700+ score !

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 82

3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Prevent and prepare. Not repent and repair!!
Joined: 13 Feb 2010
Posts: 250

Kudos [?]: 131 [3], given: 282

Location: India
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Re: The Maxilux car company's design for its new luxury model, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2013, 07:50
3
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
betterscore wrote:
The Maxilux car company's design for its new luxury model, the Max 100, included a special design for the tires that was intended to complement the model's image. The winning bid for supplying these tires was submitted by Rubco. Analysts concluded that the bid would only just cover Rubco's costs on the tires, but Rubco executives claim that winning the bid will actually make a profit for the company.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly justifies the claim made by Rubco's executives?

(A) In any Maxilux model, the spare tire is exactly the same make and model as the tires that are mounted on the wheels.

(B) Rubco holds exclusive contracts to supply Maxilux with the tires for a number of other models made by Maxilux.

(C) The production facilities for the Max 100 and those for the tires to be supplied by Rubco are located very near each other.

(D) When people who have purchased a carefully designed luxury automobile need to replace a worn part of it, they almost invariably replace it with a part of exactly the same make and type.

(E) When Maxilux awarded the tire contract to Rubco, the only criterion on which Rubco's bid was clearly ahead of its competitors' bids was price.



Ok Let us put this down as points

1.Rubco won the bid.
2.Analysts conclude Rubco wont make any profit.
3.BUT, Rubco claims that it actually makes profit.

How is it possible?? There has to be a way out....

Option A -Out of scope. We need to show that Rubco will make profit in some way.
Option B- is close but it is not addressing the issue. We need to address how this bid will generate profits. Here it talks about the other products etc.
Option C- WE cannot conclusively say that there is profit if the plants are closer
Option D- This is a constraint on the customer. So there will be extra revenue generated and hence profits for Rubco.
Option E - Out of scope.
_________________

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Kudos [?]: 131 [3], given: 282

4 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Nov 2010
Posts: 286

Kudos [?]: 179 [4], given: 75

Location: India
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Re: The Maxilux car company's design for its new luxury model, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2013, 22:58
4
This post received
KUDOS
The Maxilux car company's design for its new luxury model, the Max 100, included a special design for the tires that was intended to complement the model's image. The winning bid for supplying these tires was submitted by Rubco. Analysts concluded that the bid would only just cover Rubco's costs on the tires, but Rubco executives claim that winning the bid will actually make a profit for the company.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly justifies the claim made by Rubco's executives?

(A) In any Maxilux model, the spare tire is exactly the same make and model as the tires that are mounted on the wheels.
Talks about Make & model. States nothing about price, cost or profit

(B) Rubco holds exclusive contracts to supply Maxilux with the tires for a number of other models made by Maxilux.
Note: Other models---> although new info but OFS . No information about the cost/ price/profitability of the deal

(C) The production facilities for the Max 100 and those for the tires to be supplied by Rubco are located very near each other.
so what? It will only help in logistics & operations

(D) When people who have purchased a carefully designed luxury automobile need to replace a worn part of it, they almost invariably replace it with a part of exactly the same make and type.Correct. Strengthening in GMAT style i.e. just a slight push to strengthen the claim. It just hints that sales of wheels may increase due to replacement. why not B? - Note the scope here : same model --> same design ---> same tires. But in B it states about other models

(E) When Maxilux awarded the tire contract to Rubco, the only criterion on which Rubco's bid was clearly ahead of its competitors' bids was price.
This only tells about the criterion
_________________

YOU CAN, IF YOU THINK YOU CAN

Kudos [?]: 179 [4], given: 75

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Mar 2013
Posts: 2

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 14

Re: The Maxilux car company's design for its new luxury model, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2013, 08:17
I found this question interesting because I disagree with the OA explanations:

How can you claim that analysts would factor in that two sites are close to each other but not consider that winning a contract will strenghen the postion for residual sales of spare parts. I would argue that any analyst should be aware of such a general claim and therefore would price that into his or her considerations. With that logic I would tilt towards the less wrong b - although amigious I can still argue that those future sales are probably priced differently into the analysts expectations.

Anyone share that though?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 14

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Jun 2013
Posts: 10

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

Re: The Maxilux car company's design for its new luxury model, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2014, 05:28
solve58 wrote:
I found this question interesting because I disagree with the OA explanations:

How can you claim that analysts would factor in that two sites are close to each other but not consider that winning a contract will strenghen the postion for residual sales of spare parts. I would argue that any analyst should be aware of such a general claim and therefore would price that into his or her considerations. With that logic I would tilt towards the less wrong b - although amigious I can still argue that those future sales are probably priced differently into the analysts expectations.

Anyone share that though?


"Analysts concluded that the bid would only just cover Rubco's costs on the tires, but Rubco executives claim that winning the bid will actually make a profit for the company"

I ruled out B because it does not address issue brought up in Rubco's executives' claim. The issue involves the profit that results from the bid directly, nothing else.

D is the only statement that directly addresses profit making from winning this particular bid.

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2013
Posts: 301

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 23

Re: The Maxilux car company's design for its new luxury model, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2014, 09:48
Can someone shed some light on why C is wrong?

If the facilities are located closer, doesn't that mean that it's reduced cost and therefore higher profits?

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 23

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 May 2014
Posts: 12

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 9

Re: The Maxilux car company's design for its new luxury model, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2014, 23:49
I omitted [D] because the excerpt tells me Rubco earns no money from producing and selling this tire to Maxilux

if OA is D it is assumed that Rubco can sell directly to consumers, presumably at a higher price than the bid

where can I make this connection?

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 9

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 Mar 2013
Posts: 8

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 0

Re: The Maxilux car company's design for its new luxury model, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2014, 21:48
1
This post received
KUDOS
I don't think D makes sense. It's increasing revenue for sure. I agree with this, but the question is referring to profit and not revenue. More revenue does not mean more profit. C would reduce costs. There's a reason why major suppliers build facilities next to major manufacturers. Transportation is a huge cost.

Source: I'm a CPA and I work in Supply Chain. I analyze these numbers everyday.

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 0

NUS Thread Master
User avatar
Affiliations: Oracle certified java programmer , adobe certified developer
Joined: 14 Jul 2013
Posts: 117

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 37

GMAT Date: 02-12-2015
GPA: 3.87
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)
Re: The Maxilux car company's design for its new luxury model, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2015, 03:27
betterscore wrote:
The Maxilux car company's design for its new luxury model, the Max 100, included a special design for the tires that was intended to complement the model's image. The winning bid for supplying these tires was submitted by Rubco. Analysts concluded that the bid would only just cover Rubco's costs on the tires, but Rubco executives claim that winning the bid will actually make a profit for the company.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly justifies the claim made by Rubco's executives?

(A) In any Maxilux model, the spare tire is exactly the same make and model as the tires that are mounted on the wheels.

(B) Rubco holds exclusive contracts to supply Maxilux with the tires for a number of other models made by Maxilux.

(C) The production facilities for the Max 100 and those for the tires to be supplied by Rubco are located very near each other.

(D) When people who have purchased a carefully designed luxury automobile need to replace a worn part of it, they almost invariably replace it with a part of exactly the same make and type.

(E) When Maxilux awarded the tire contract to Rubco, the only criterion on which Rubco's bid was clearly ahead of its competitors' bids was price.



D it is , reason : Next time people will buy the same tire , hence Rubco will earn

(D) When people who have purchased a carefully designed luxury automobile need to replace a worn part of it, they almost invariably replace it with a part of exactly the same make and type.
_________________

IF IT IS TO BE , IT IS UP TO ME

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 37

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Oct 2015
Posts: 1

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

The Maxilux car company's design for its new luxury model, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2015, 16:35
Believe the important point to remember here is that Rubco can sell more tires AT A HIGHER COST to the car owners(as mentioned in an earlier post). Because of this answer D makes sense. Rubco will make and sell tires to Maxilux AT cost, but sell to the consumer for a profit. I was initially confused too, because you make a profit if you can sell at a price which is above what it costs you to manufacture it. I wasn't thinking that you can sell to the end consumer at a higher price.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 10 Mar 2013
Posts: 591

Kudos [?]: 480 [1], given: 200

Location: Germany
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 580 Q46 V24
GPA: 3.88
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The Maxilux car company's design for its new luxury model, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2015, 04:02
1
This post received
KUDOS
rjacobsMGMAT wrote:
(D). Profit = Revenue - Cost. The premises show that revenue from Maxilux will equal cost. So to strengthen the argument, we need additional revenue from elsewhere. (B) is close because it generates additional revenue, but that revenue is also from Maxilux so the revenue will most likely not exceed the cost here either. (D) is the only answer choice that adds the kind of outside revenue stream we want.


In my opinion the only reason to eliminate (B) is that, the exclusive contracts are already held by RUBCO , so the new bid will not change anything with that.
D is the only relevant option, but as for me still not clear as we're talking about profits and there is nowhere stated in this answer choice that the price will be greater than the price in the bid.... we could have more revenues but "0" Profit.
_________________

When you’re up, your friends know who you are. When you’re down, you know who your friends are.

Share some Kudos, if my posts help you. Thank you !

800Score ONLY QUANT CAT1 51, CAT2 50, CAT3 50
GMAT PREP 670
MGMAT CAT 630
KAPLAN CAT 660

Kudos [?]: 480 [1], given: 200

Re: The Maxilux car company's design for its new luxury model,   [#permalink] 06 Nov 2015, 04:02

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 27 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

The Maxilux car company's design for its new luxury model,

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.