Last visit was: 27 Jul 2024, 01:27 It is currently 27 Jul 2024, 01:27
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 336 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Avoid Dangling and Misplaced Modifiers in MBA Application Essays [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Avoid Dangling and Misplaced Modifiers in MBA Application Essays
A dangling or misplaced modifier is a word or phrase that is intended to describe one thing but actually describes something else because of its placement in a sentence. Misplaced modifiers are a common mistake in MBA application essays and can be very distracting to a reader, in addition to possibly misrepresenting the writer’s intention. Although misplaced modifiers can appear anywhere in a sentence, the most common, most obvious, and (thankfully) easiest to correct are those that occur at the beginning of a sentence. Consider the following examples:

As the highest-rated professor at the school, West’s academic writings are primarily analyses of recent developments in tort law.

Even after studying all night, the test was still too difficult for John to pass.

In the first sample sentence, “the highest-rated professor at the school” is meant to describe West, but it instead refers to “West’s academic writings.” In the second example, we can assume that John was the one who studied all night, but because of the way the sentence is constructed, “the test” supposedly did the extensive studying.

To avoid these kinds of confusing constructions, make sure that the first thing you mention after a descriptive introductory phrase is what you want that phrase to describe. To correct our examples here, we could reword them as follows:

As the highest-rated professor at the school, West produces academic writings that are primarily analyses of recent developments in tort law.

Even after studying all night, John was unable to pass the test.

However, misplaced modifiers can appear anywhere within a sentence when a phrase is juxtaposed with a different part of the sentence than is intended. Consider the following:

As I became aware of what I wanted in life, I shared my dream of starting a charitable foundation with my parents.

With this wording, the writer is saying that he dreams of starting a foundation with his parents, yet we can safely assume that the writer instead meant that he shared his dream with his parents. To correct this sentence, you could move the misplaced phrase or even reword the sentence to clarify:

As I became aware of what I wanted in life, I shared with my parents my dream of starting a charitable foundation.

As I became aware of what I wanted in life, I told my parents about my dream of starting a charitable foundation.

Always make sure your descriptive phrases are in proper proximity to the elements of your sentence that you want them to modify.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
How to Build an MBA Resume, Part 1 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: How to Build an MBA Resume, Part 1

In your MBA resume, be sure to showcase your accomplishments, rather than merely stating the responsibilities of your position. When your responsibilities are presented with no accompanying results, the reader has no understanding of whether you were effective in the role you are describing. For example, consider the following entry, in which only responsibilities are offered:

2014–Present Household Products Group, Flocter & Gramble Cincinnati, Ohio

Brand Manager

• Responsible for managing a $10M media campaign, supervising a staff of five junior brand managers, monitoring daily sales volumes, and ensuring the consistent supply of product from five production facilities in three countries.
The reader is left wondering, “Was the media campaign successful? Did the staff of five progress? Did sales volumes increase? Did the supply of products reach its destination?” When this one long bullet point is instead broken down into individual bulleted entries that elaborate on each task and show clear results, the reader learns not just about the candidate’s responsibilities, but also about that person’s ultimate effectiveness and successes.

2014–Present Flocter & Gramble Cincinnati, Ohio

Brand Manager

• Initiated $10M television/Internet “Island Vacation” promotion introducing new Shine brand detergent, surpassing first-year sales targets within three months.
  • Mentored and supervised five junior brand managers, each of whom was promoted to brand manager (company traditionally promotes 25%).
  • Analyzed daily sales volumes and identified opportunity to increase price point in Midwest, resulting in 26% margin improvement and $35M in new profits.
  • Secured “safety supply” of vital chemicals from alternate suppliers, ensuring 99% order fulfillment.
By comparing the first entry with the second, you can see how much more effective an accomplishment-driven resume is than one that simply lists responsibilities.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
Stanford GSB Announces 2017-2018 Application Deadlines [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Stanford GSB Announces 2017-2018 Application Deadlines
This week, the Stanford Graduate School of Business has released its 2017-2018 MBA application deadlines.

For more information, visit gsb.stanford.edu.

For a complete list of 2017-2018 business school deadlines, be sure to check our Application Deadlines page. We will be updating our list as business schools release them.

Do you plan to apply to Stanford GSB this fall? Stay tuned to the mbaMission blog for our analysis of the 2017-2018 Stanford GSB essay questions when they are released, and be sure to download our free Insider’s Guide to the Stanford Graduate School of Business.
Send PM
How to Build an MBA Resume, Part 2 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: How to Build an MBA Resume, Part 2
Presenting quantifiable results in your resume is preferred, because such results clearly convey your success in the actions you undertook. However, in some instances, you simply cannot quantify your success. In such cases, you can instead demonstrate nonquantifiable or even potential results. Consider the following examples:

• Persuaded management to review existing operations; currently leading Manufacturing Review Committee, which will table its final report in June 2016.
  • Established divisional continuing education series, noted on review as “crucial” and “game changing.”
  • Initiated biweekly “Tuesday at Five” team social event, resulting in enhanced workplace morale.
In each of these bullet points, the results of the writer’s actions are not measurable, but they are nonetheless important. The accomplishments, while “soft,” are conveyed as clearly positive.
Send PM
mbaMission Consultant Spotlight: Nisha Trivedi [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: mbaMission Consultant Spotlight: Nisha Trivedi
At mbaMission, our consultants are more than just graduates of the world’s top MBA programs—we are also expert communicators who possess an unparalleled knowledge of the MBA admissions process. Each week, we highlight one admissions advisor on our team who has committed his/her professional life to helping you get into business school.

Nisha Trivedi earned her BA in communication from the University of Pennsylvania and her MBA from the University of Michigan’s Ross School of Business. A deep interest in understanding the consumer inspired her to initially pursue a career in marketing research, and after college, she held positions at Time Inc., Rosetta, and KPMG LLP in New York City. A desire to transition into brand management led Nisha to Ross, where she was an active member of the Marketing Club, organizing mock internship interviews for her peers during her first year and serving as the club’s vice president of communications during her second year. After graduating with her MBA, Nisha worked for several years in brand management in San Francisco at Big Heart Pet Brands (now part of The J.M. Smucker Company) before joining mbaMission. She most enjoys creating brand positioning and crafting tailored messaging that speaks to consumers’ needs, which is a skill she applies in helping her clients “market” themselves to their dream MBA programs. Nisha also has a longstanding commitment to philanthropy—she has been a volunteer team leader for New York Cares and now sits on the board of directors of The Shanti Project, a San Francisco–based nonprofit that enhances the health, quality of life, and well-being of people with serious illnesses.

Quick Facts:

Received MBA from: Michigan Ross

Undergraduate field of study: Communication

Fields worked in before mbaMission: Marketing research, brand management

Working style: Collaborative and focused, but with moments of lightness

Five things Nisha wants her clients to know about her:

• My background in marketing is beneficial in two ways

(1.) It gives me the ability to deeply understand my audience and tell an engaging story.

(2.) Though I truly enjoy working with clients of all backgrounds and aspirations, I especially love working with clients in marketing (or who hope to transition to marketing) since I deeply understand their skills and motivations.
  • As I have worked in several different industries (publishing, consulting, financial services, consumer packaged goods), I’m familiar with a variety of company cultures.
  • I have an absolute passion for hearing clients’ personal stories and helping them figure out how best to share the most meaningful ones in their applications.
  • Many applicants love to travel and volunteer. I’ve done a fair amount of both (and also have lived in several U.S. regions), so I can assist with effectively communicating the essences of these experiences to the admissions committee to show how they’ve led to personal and professional growth.
  • My favorite quotation is “The most important thing I have learned over the years is the difference between taking one’s work seriously and taking one’s self seriously. The first is imperative, and the second disastrous.” (Margot Fonteyn)

While the application process can be arduous, I also think it’s best approached with a healthy sense of balance and humor.
What clients are saying about Nisha:

“I cannot say enough good things about Nisha and mbaMission overall. Nisha really took the time to understand the nuances of my experiences and my short-term and long-term goals. Nisha provided valuable insight on the essays, but one of the biggest benefits of working with her was her ability to view my application overall. Thanks to Nisha and mbaMission, I got in to my top choice and I could not be more thrilled!” —Columbia Business School Admit

“Overall, I’m extremely happy with the opportunities that have arisen—and can’t thank you enough for all of your time and effort to help make them happen. There’s truly no way this would be happening without you! I’m so thrilled about my offers from Stern and Anderson, and appreciative of your instrumental role in this process.” —NYU Stern and UCLA Anderson Admit

“I wanted to thank you for all the help! I was accepted to Kellogg and Duke and was waitlisted at MIT! I really could not have done this without all of your help. I just want to say thank you so much!!” —Kellogg and Duke Fuqua Admit

See more testimonials for Nisha. 

Watch Nisha’s Video:

Do you want to speak with Nisha about your business school prospects? Sign up for a free 30-minute consultation here.
Send PM
Professor Profiles: Rawi Abdelal, Harvard Business School [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Professor Profiles: Rawi Abdelal, Harvard Business School
Many MBA applicants feel that they are purchasing a brand when they choose a business school. However, the educational experience you will have is what is crucial to your future, and no one will affect your education more than your professors. Today, we profile Rawi Abdelal from Harvard Business School (HBS).

Rawi Abdelal is the Herbert F. Johnson Professor of International Management and the director of Harvard’s Davis Center for Russian and Eurasian Studies. In addition to teaching, he serves as a faculty associate for such groups as Harvard’s Weatherhead Center for International Affairs and the Minda de Gunzburg Center for European Studies. His first book, National Purpose in the World Economy: Post-Soviet States in Comparative Perspective (Cornell University Press, 2001), won the 2002 Shulman Prize for outstanding monograph dealing with the international relations, foreign policy, or foreign-policy decision making of any former Soviet Union or Eastern European state. In 2016, Abdelal was granted the HBS One Harvard Faculty Fellowship, and in 2013, he received the Robert F. Greenhill Award, given to outstanding members of the HBS community who are making significant contributions to the school. Moreover, in 2004, he was awarded the Student Association’s Faculty Award for outstanding teaching in the required curriculum.

Abdelal is a student favorite, we were told by those we interviewed, because of his willingness to spend time with students outside the classroom (even those who are not in his section), explaining macroeconomic concepts that can be difficult to grasp. He is also known for incorporating unusual references from literature and popular culture into his class discussions. He has made allusions to Shakespeare, the movie Fight Club, and even rapper Jay-Z’s song “Blue Magic” to help explain complex topics.

For more information about HBS and 15 other top-ranked business schools, check out the mbaMission Insider’s Guides.
Send PM
Avoid Mentioning Rankings When Applying to MBA Programs [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Avoid Mentioning Rankings When Applying to MBA Programs
In your MBA application essays and admissions interviews, you should thoroughly explain your interest in each program by developing and presenting arguments that center on the school’s academic and environmental attributes (e.g., research institutes, professors, experiential learning opportunities, classes, pedagogies). However, you should definitely not refer to the school’s position in the various MBA rankings as a reason for applying. Although applicants, administrators, students, and alumni all pay attention to rankings, within a candidate’s application, the topic is entirely taboo.

Why is this? Rankings are a measure of a school’s reputation and fluctuate from year to year. By citing rankings, you indicate that you could (or would) be dissatisfied by a drop in your target program’s prestige as conveyed by such rankings—a drop that would be out of the school’s control and that, from the institution’s perspective, could ostensibly put your relationship as a future student (and later as an alumnus/alumna) at risk. Further, MBA programs want to be sure that you are attracted to their various academic offerings and that you have profound professional needs that they can satisfy. Rankings, however, are superficial, and referencing them in your application materials undermines the profundity of your research and motives.
Send PM
Earn an Accelerated MBA in Sustainability at Duquesne [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Earn an Accelerated MBA in Sustainability at Duquesne
Appealing to professionals at all stages of their careers, Duquesne University’s Palumbo Donahue School of Business offers an accelerated, 12-month MBA in Sustainable Business Practices with an “integrated” focus on sustainability and the environment. With core course work centered on four foundational areas—social, economic, environmental, and ethical—students gain exposure to the basic problems and frameworks of sustainable development beyond conventional notions of “green” business. In addition, the program includes global study trips, in which students travel abroad to examine global sustainability practices firsthand; two required sustainability consulting projects with sponsoring nonprofit or governmental organizations; and a capstone practicum course that challenges students to develop strategy and management skills.
Send PM
Luxury Brand Management at the GCU British School of Fashion [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Luxury Brand Management at the GCU British School of Fashion

In the fall of 2013, Scotland’s Glasgow Caledonian University (GCU)—known as a leader in fashion education since the 19th century—inaugurated a new fashion business school in London and soon after opened a satellite campus in New York City. Rather than focusing on the design aspect of fashion, however, the GCU British School of Fashion instead aims to offer a specialized business education with applications to the fashion industry, as the school’s director, Christopher Moore, explained in a FashionUnited article at the time the new campuses were being revealed: “The remit of the School is clear: we are about the business of fashion. While there are other great international design schools, we are quite different. Our aim is to be a leading School for the business of fashion.”

The British School of Fashion’s MBA in Luxury Brand Management program aims to impart industry tools and skills related to such topics as consumer behavior, globalization, and strategic management. The school also professes a commitment to social responsibility, sustainability, and fair trade as part of its core values. With support from a number of British fashion brands, which in the past have included Marks & Spencer, House of Fraser, AllSaints, and the Arcadia Group, the school’s faculty also features a team of honorary professors and fashion industry leaders. Moore told the BBC, “Over the past decade, there has been a significant professionalization of the fashion sector, and there is now a need for high-quality fashion business graduates.”
Send PM
MBA Admissions Myths Destroyed: If I Do Not Get Accepted in R1, I Will [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: MBA Admissions Myths Destroyed: If I Do Not Get Accepted in R1, I Will Just Apply in R2
As you enter the upcoming application season, what kind of strategy do you have in mind? More than a few candidates, having likely read about the supposed advantages of applying in Round 1 on various Web sites and discussion boards, plan to submit all their applications in that first round—with the idea that if no acceptances are forthcoming, they will just submit another set of applications in Round 2. If this is your plan, we would like to explain why it is probably not your best course of action.

Most Round 1 deadlines are in October, and even though often applicants may receive a kind of “progress report” in the form of an interview invitation in November, this is no guarantee of eventual acceptance. Ultimately, then, applicants will not know for sure whether they have won a spot at any of their target schools until mid- to late December. So let us imagine the worst-case scenario: you submit all your applications in Round 1 but are not accepted at any of your target schools. Now, feeling discouraged and unsure of your application strategy—not to mention dealing with the hustle and bustle of the holidays—you must quickly research and select new schools, rethink your approach, and crank out still more applications in the space of just a few weeks to be able to submit in Round 2—to schools that you may not even be that enthusiastic about. And do not forget that you will also need to pressure your recommenders during this busy time of year to produce more documents on your behalf on a very tight deadline! Are you rethinking your strategy yet?

We recommend that instead, you change your mind-set from “If I do not get accepted in R1, I will apply in R2” to “I am applying to some schools in R1 and some in R2, and hopefully I will not have to finish my R2 applications.” With luck, you will not need to complete the applications you have slated for Round 2. But if you plan ahead, do not overload yourself with too many applications in the first round, and work steadily on your applications over several months, you will be in a much better place both mentally and with your required workload should you have to move ahead with your Round 2 submissions. And if, in the end, you get accepted early or receive multiple offers of admission from your first-round applications, you will have lost nothing more than a little time!
Send PM
Ask CBS and Yale SOM Admissions Officers Your Application Questions on [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Ask CBS and Yale SOM Admissions Officers Your Application Questions on May 10!

Are you applying to Columbia Business School (CBS) or the Yale School of Management (SOM)? If so, you will not want to miss this chance to learn from the schools’ very own admissions officers! On May 10, 2017, mbaMission’s founder/president, Jeremy Shinewald, will facilitate a two-hour webinar for the final installment of our five-part series: “Your Dream MBA: 5 Steps to Getting In.” From 8:00 to 10:00 p.m. EDT, Jeremy will take and share questions from attendees, while Bruce DelMonico (assistant dean and director of admissions at Yale SOM) and Amanda Carlson (assistant dean of admissions at CBS) offer invaluable insight and advice.

About the Admissions Officers:

Bruce DelMonico has been at the helm of Yale SOM admissions for the past 12 years. After earning a JD from the University of Virginia’s School of Law and working as an attorney, Bruce made the transition into admissions when he accepted the position of deputy director of admissions at Yale SOM in 2004. In the years following, DelMonico moved on to assistant dean and director of admissions at the school, which has seen a 70% increase in application volume since he started. Last year, mbaMission was lucky enough to conduct an exclusive interview with DelMonico, in which he discussed the admissions committee’s consensus approach to admit decisions and the number one thing applicants should do when they find themselves on the waitlist (among other topics). Now, we are pleased to welcome Bruce back for the second year in a row for the final installment of our Dream MBA series.

Amanda Carlson
was named assistant dean of admissions at CBS in 2012, though she has been on the Columbia admissions panel since 2002. Prior to joining the Columbia culture, Carlson did campus recruiting for McKinsey & Company, served on the board of the Forte Foundation, and was a member of the Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC) annual conference advisory committee. We spoke one-on-one with Carlson about CBS’s resources and admissions processes in 2013, and this year we are pleased that she is joining us once again for Questions and Answers with MBA Admissions Officers!

We hope you will join us for this special series. Please reserve your spot by signing up here.
Send PM
Watch Out for Repetition in Your MBA Application Essays [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Watch Out for Repetition in Your MBA Application Essays
Some time ago, a prospective MBA student emailed us to ask, “What is the most basic stylistic error candidates make when writing their MBA application essays?” Our response? Unnecessary repetition. Although using the same word more than once within a single sentence or in consecutive sentences does not constitute a grammatical mistake, the repetition can still be grating to a reader.

Consider this example:

“During my time at XYZ Sales, I increased productivity by 31% and increased revenue by 21%. Meanwhile, I increased my client base by an industry-leading 81%, bringing increased prestige to my firm.”

This example—which uses the word “increased” four times in just two sentences—may seem like an exaggerated case, but it is actually not as rare as you might expect. However, the repetition can be easily eliminated and the sentences made increasingly reader friendly with just a few simple changes:

“During my time at XYZ Sales, I increased productivity by 31% and revenue by 21%. Meanwhile, I grew my client base by an industry-leading 81%, enhancing my firm’s prestige.”

The key to eliminating repetition is to first become aware of the potential problem and then gain distance from your work. Stepping away from your essay drafts for a day or two and then going back to reread them will give you the objectivity necessary to catch—and correct—this easily avoidable mistake.
Send PM
Getting the 80/80 Score on the GMAT [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Getting the 80/80 Score on the GMAT
With regard to the GMAT, raw intellectual horsepower helps, but it is not everything. Manhattan Prep’s Stacey Koprince teaches you how to perform at your best on test day by using some common sense.

What is the “80/80”? All schools look at your overall three-digit GMAT score (the one given on the 200–800 scale). In addition, a few of the very top business schools, such as Harvard, Stanford, and Wharton, look for the 80/80: an 80th percentile score or higher on the individual Quant and Verbal subsections. Essentially, if someone hits a 700 but does so by scoring 99th percentile in one subsection and only 60-something in the other, the schools might be concerned about the lower-scoring area. From their point of view, an “80/80” minimum ensures that you have got a solid base in both areas.

What if I score in the 75th percentile?

The 80/80 guidelines are just that—guidelines. The schools do not use these parameters as a hard cutoff. In other words, a score in the 70s is generally fine, as long as the overall score is also within a school’s desired target range. If, on the other hand, the overall score is a bit low, the GPA is a bit low, and one or both of the GMAT subscores are low… Well, you still might get in, but doing so just became a lot harder.

What if I score in the 60s?

Unless there is something else that is stellar in your profile and can therefore offset this lower score, the 80/80 schools will likely be concerned about a Quant or Verbal percentile in the 60s—particularly so for Quant. For Verbal, they have a whole host of other tools with which to assess your communication skills, starting with your essays. A 60s (or lower) Quant score, though, could indicate that you will have trouble handling the quantitative portions of the MBA curriculum. You might be able to offset this concern if you can demonstrate that your current job involves significant quantitative components; make sure that your recommendations highlight your quant skills. Alternatively, perhaps you excelled in quant-focused classes in school (calculus, accounting, physics, statistics), and your transcripts show A grades.

If not, then something needs to be done. Two paths are possible here, and you can follow just one or both. First, the no-brainer: take the GMAT again and get a score in the 70s (or higher!). I call that a “no-brainer” in the sense that there is no question that you should try to do this. You might not succeed, though. An alternative, then, is to take a calculus or accounting class at a local university. If you do this, you must get an A; getting a B at this stage will not inspire confidence in the admissions staff. In addition, taking such a class will involve a decent amount of lead time; these classes often run over a period of two to four months, so this is not a last-minute solution.

The big picture? Ideally, get the GMAT done well in advance of admissions season so that you have ample time to address unexpected or unwelcome surprises during the process.
Send PM
mbaMission Consultant Spotlight: Harshad Mali [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: mbaMission Consultant Spotlight: Harshad Mali
At mbaMission, our consultants are more than just graduates of the world’s top MBA programs—we are also expert communicators who possess an unparalleled knowledge of the MBA admissions process. Each week, we highlight one admissions advisor on our team who has committed his/her professional life to helping you get into business school.

With an MBA from the University of Chicago Booth School of Business, a BE in mechanical engineering from the Government College of Engineering in Aurangabad, India, and an ME in mechanical and aerospace engineering from the Illinois Institute of Technology, Harshad Mali has enjoyed a successful career as both an engineer and an entrepreneur. In addition to having worked in design and product development within the automotive industry for the truck manufacturer Navistar, he has traveled extensively in Europe, Asia, and South America to evaluate and create supply chains for critical hardware. After graduating from Chicago Booth, Harshad co-founded a consulting start-up to address the operational and product commercialization challenges faced by small- and medium-sized manufacturing companies. His corporate and entrepreneurial experiences have given him valuable insight into the various career paths MBAs pursue. An avid mentor and coach, Harshad has participated in university career fairs, discussing professional goals and career paths with graduating students, and has also freelanced as an MBA essay consultant.

Quick Facts:

Received MBA from: Chicago Booth

Undergraduate field of study: Engineering

Fields worked in before mbaMission: Engineering, entrepreneurship, and consulting

Working style: Direct, friendly, upbeat, and supportive

Five things Harshad wants his clients to know about him:

• As an engineer who always strived to endow complex products with an aesthetic charm, I bring the same “creative logic” to my work with clients. I first elicit substance from my clients and then help wrap their stories into beautifully precise applications.
  • I am Mr. Current Affairs. Despite my busy schedule, I am always on top of existential issues and events in business, finance, international politics, sports, and technology. This not only helps me to understand my clients quickly, but also allows me to simplify their work experiences for their end consumers—the members of business school admissions committees.
  • Although I work with all clients, I especially enjoy working with engineers, entrepreneurs, consultants, social workers, and clients from non-traditional backgrounds. Having grown up in India, worked in the United States, and traveled the world extensively, I can help convey international perspectives in a comprehensible manner, one that truly resonates with admissions committees.
  • My direct but upbeat style helps clients understand their strengths clearly and develop a positive perspective on their weaknesses, resulting in an enhanced engagement with the application process.
  • Storytelling is my passion. I am currently writing a novel (in my spare time), so I am constantly updating my inventory of characters, personalities, and traits by meeting and talking to people. Because of this, I often end up motivating clients to introspect deeper, and they often end up with a crystallized realization of who they really are and what makes them unique.
What clients are saying about Harshad:

“Harshad’s candid feedback, support, and knowledge will give you confidence in the entire process, from choosing schools to after the interview, and receiving offers. Harshad was with me every step of the way. The price tag on the school packages is a hefty one, but my experience with Harshad and mbaMission exceeded my expectations and helped me bridge the gap and translate my military career into something of value to the admission committees. Applying to an MBA program and making the transition can be grueling and daunting, so don’t do it alone. I recommend Harshad to anyone.” —Michigan Ross Admit (via GMAT Club)

“I finally got admitted to MIT Sloan Fellows. This was something that I couldn’t think was within my reach when I started thinking about applying to B-Schools. I can safely say that this was only made possible with Harshad’s help. I strongly recommend him to any B-School aspirant. And if you are from South Asia, Harshad should be your top choice.” —MIT Sloan Admit (via GMAT Club)

“Harshad’s analytical reasoning, friendly and genuine personality is what separated him in the sea of consultants out there!” —MIT Sloan Admit

“Harshad helped me stitch a story I never thought I had. His extreme attention to detail and ability to simplify things meant I could not only plug holes, but also stand out. Hats off to him!” —B-School Applicant

Read more of Harshad’s testimonials.

Watch Harshad’s video:

Do you want to speak with Harshad about your business school prospects? Sign up for a free 30-minute consultationhere.
Send PM
Professor Profiles: Baba Shiv, Stanford Graduate School of Business [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Professor Profiles: Baba Shiv, Stanford Graduate School of Business
Many MBA applicants feel that they are purchasing a brand when they choose a business school. However, the educational experience you will have is what is crucial to your future, and no one will affect your education more than your professors. Today, we profile Baba Shiv from the Stanford Graduate School of Business (GSB).

“Baba Shiv is a legend,” said a first-year GSB student with whom we spoke. Baba Shiv, who also teaches within the executive MBA program, received his MBA from the Indian Institute of Management and his PhD from Duke University before joining the Stanford GSB faculty in 2005. Shiv’s research concentration is in the area of neuroeconomics, and he focuses his studies on the systems of the brain that lead individuals to like and want things and how those systems shape people’s decisions. His work explores self-control and why people make certain choices, even when logic tells them that those choices may not be in their best interest.

A GSB alumni magazine article once described Shiv as “a favorite uncle who is always interested in your life and eager to talk about new, exciting ideas,” and Dan Ariely, a colleague of Shiv’s and a professor at Duke Fuqua, noted in the same article, “Shiv’s mere presence makes everything around him seem better.” A second year and Marketing Club officer told mbaMission that Shiv “tries to be a career resource for people who want to pursue marketing careers” and is “engaging and exciting to listen to. He is one of the favorite members of the whole faculty; people love him.”

For more information about the Stanford GSB and 15 other top-ranked business schools, check out the mbaMission Insider’s Guides.
Send PM
Columbia Business School Announces 2017-2018 Application Release Date, [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Columbia Business School Announces 2017-2018 Application Release Date, Essays, and Deadlines
This week, Columbia Business School (CBS) announced that it will release its application on May 15, 2017. The school also released its 2017-2018 MBA application deadlines and essay questions.

Essays:

Goal: What is your immediate post-MBA professional goal? (50 characters)

Essay #1: Through your resume and recommendations, we have a clear sense of your professional path to date. What are your career goals over the next 3 – 5 years and what, in your imagination, would be your long-term dream job? (500 words)

Essay #2: The full-time MBA experience includes academics, recruiting and networking. What are your personal priorities and how do you anticipate allocating your time at Columbia Business School? (250 words)

EMBA Essay #2: Columbia Business School’s Executive MBA will challenge you by offering a rigorous academic experience, global exposure through the international seminar, and the opportunity to immediately apply what you learn to your career. How will you approach balancing the demands of the program with your professional and personal life while you are in school? (250 words)

Essay #3: Please select and answer one of the following essay questions: (250 words)

a: Please tell us what you feel most passionate about in life.

b: If you were given a free day and could spend it anywhere, in any way you choose, what would you do?

Optional Essay: Is there any further information that you wish to provide the Admissions Committee? If so, please use this space to provide an explanation of any areas of concern in your academic record or your personal history. You may submit bullet points. (Maximum 500 words)

For more information, visit https://www8.gsb.columbia.edu/.

For a complete list of 2017-2018 business school deadlines, be sure to check ourApplication Deadlines page. We will be updating our list as business schools release them.

Do you plan to apply to Columbia Business School this fall? Stay tuned to the mbaMission blog for our analysis of the 2017-2018 Columbia Business School essay questions and be sure to download our free Insider’s Guide to Columbia Business School.
Send PM
MBA Admissions Myths Destroyed: It Is All About My Work Performance [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: MBA Admissions Myths Destroyed: It Is All About My Work Performance
Because you spend so many of your waking hours at work, and the MBA is the vehicle you are choosing to use to drive your career forward, you may naturally believe that your professional experiences are all that matter to the admissions committees. Do not get us wrong: you need to have strong professional stories to share, but top-tier business schools are looking for much more than just examples of professional excellence. If you discuss only your work experiences in your application, you will present yourself as a one-dimensional character, and today’s managers need to demonstrate that they can handle a multitude of tasks, situations, and personalities—both inside and outside the workplace.

Occasionally, we at mbaMission post an offer on our blog to review applications submitted by candidates who did not use our services and who did not receive an offer of admission from a single program of their choice. We find that the most common error committed by these applicants is that they discussed only their work accomplishments and gave no sense of who they truly are as well-rounded human beings. Although professional accomplishments definitely have a place in your applications, do not go overboard and focus on this one aspect of your candidacy to the exclusion of all else—balance is crucial. To the best of your ability, strive to offer a mix of accomplishments from the professional, community, and personal fields. Your goal is to keep the reader learning about you with each essay. A diversity of stories will reveal that you have the skills to accomplish a great deal in many different fields and circumstances, which is the hallmark of a modern general manager.
   1  ...  92   93   94   95   96  ...  179   
Moderator:
1458 posts